Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Digging inside

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by not_so_tiny_teddy, May 25, 2019.

1. not_so_tiny_teddy

not_so_tiny_teddy New Member

I have a nine month old puppy who likes to dig at the timber floor boards. Does this happen to other people? I’m not sure why he does it, or how to stop it, short of having him on a leash when he’s inside, but I’d rather not do that all the time. He also licks the floor. Could it be boredom, tiredness, general naughty puppy behaviour?

I had considered using an e collar, but a very well respected trainer here in Sydney didn’t think it was a good idea and suggested using the place command, which we haven’t done a lot of work on as yet.

2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

I've no experience with digging inside, but would have a guess that it is entertaining in some way. I do agree that there are probably better methods of stopping the behaviour than an e collar. The advice of the trainer you are in contact with sounds good to me, and there will be others with more advice here. Just wanted to say g'day to a fellow Aussie!!! :thumbsup2:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. not_so_tiny_teddy

Thanks! It’s frustrating because he’s spending less time inside than I would like.

4. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

One of our members had a simple toy for on the wooden floor........just a jar lid which could be slid and batted all around the place, resulting in a very tired Doberman! If that sounds too active for inside and you haven't tried one, maybe a kong type toy that dispenses food might give him something to occupy him. At 9months he will be in his teenage stage too so will probably be testing his status in life from time to time!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Out of curiosity, what was the reasoning this trainer gave you as to not use an e collar?

6. not_so_tiny_teddy

It was a quick fb reply and he didn’t give an exact reason, just thought using the place command would be better as I’d mentioned that he cruises around the room like he’s looking for trouble!

7. not_so_tiny_teddy

That’s a great idea! He loves sliding his food bowl across the concrete, so he’d love chasing things around the room. We will just have to turn the volume on the TV up!

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

He may have some pent up energy and digging is fun, right? It does sound like boredom. Make sure he’s both physically and mentally challenged, this will illuminate the boredom.
    Have you tried him with a frozen Kong? Mash banana, add blueberries and pop it in the freezer overnight.

Is he crate trained? If not, this would most certainly help.

Have you tried a flirt pole? Burns off excess energy, quickly!

I would say up his obedience training, too.

Vary his activities, to keep him interested. A lot of us have high energy dobes. I guess it's just about us making choices on how we fulfill those demands. We up our own activity levels. At the end of the day, they are a working breed and high energy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You're getting a few great suggestions! I also am one to think that he may be a little bored. No pun intended. ;) I know I would not like him digging and destroying inside my home. You need to Tire him out a little more. Or like @Viemarangelrock suggested, crate him. Dobermans are smart and we always say, if you don't keep them entertained and tired they will create their own fun. And sometimes it's not fun for us! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  10. not_so_tiny_teddy

For the last two nights I be given him half his dinner in a treat dispenser inside. Sounded like he was destroying the house every time the thing went flying into a wall We’ve done more obedience, but it’s still happening. He’s just not calm inside. In the end I couldn’t handle the constant digging, so out he went. I’m reluctant to crate him when inside. Would prefer to have him sitting calmly on his bed near us. Starting to worry that I don’t have the right type of personality to keep him calm. My next goal is working on leave it, take it, drop it etc so I can wear him out with a flirt pole.
    Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We didn't have the problem inside but Albert was doing it on our deck. Our trainer recommended spraying a little vinegar in the area, then shaking some black pepper over it while it's still wet. Apparently they like to sniff and area before they do it so that's a big deterrent. That may not work so well if it's in random areas all over though.

12. not_so_tiny_teddy

Thank you. It’s worth a try in his favourite spots.

13. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I was taught to always replace the wrong behavior with an OK behavior. If digging at the floor, respond with a serious NO, and give the pup a toy that is his to chew or destroy with no interference. You can make new toys that the pup "owns", no reason to buy them. A large stick, a sock tied in knots, whatever. But make him trade. No floors, but hey you can have this! And make it exciting. Plus all the advice above...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow another crack dog! Lol, been there, done that! Guess what’s happening here haha. 530201AD-7CA4-4BF8-88F2-A31C4D3FF491.jpeg

It’s totally a boredom behaviour and I found it happened most between 5-7 months old. Mental stimulation was our missing piece.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1