Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Differences in Euro Dobermanns

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Kaiser2016, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:07 AM.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Notable member

Kaiser was 27.5 around June. 75 lbs today. His head is 'perfection' according to other people. I agree he's gorgeous, but obviously I'm biased. His head is proportional to his body and his snout is strong with a deep jaw.

I think bigger paws make them run faster. More grip. Like bigger tires on sports cars.

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Kaiser seems to have a more proper, substantial snout and jaw than Oji. I have noticed, though, that he's a smaller guy like is Oji. Kind of looks like he's from working lines in that regard. I know he's Euro (like Oji) but Oji is working Euro. Hardcore working Dobe = built for speed and agility (with surprising strength built in there).

As for large paws lending a dog to higher running speed and acceleration: I disagree. Sports cars may have wide tires, but they don't facilitate acceleration or top speed. They facilitate handling. On that front, I can see large paws helping a Dobe out. On the IPO/Schutzhund field, you need agility more than flat-out speed. Oji is a big-time juker, jiver and cutter. Boy, he makes those cuts and even spins around in the blink of an eye.

3. Oh Little Oji

Well, let me alter that statement about wide tires on sports cars: (and I know this is off-topic) They facilitate acceleration in terms of traction to prevent wheel spin (peeling out). So one could link that with large paws equalling a fast running dog, but I don't personally see it that way. A dog peeling out when starting to run is not much of an issue unless that dog is on a slick surface.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser chased the cat once from bare hardwood floors and the lack of traction might have spared the cat one of her nine lives.

Is there no way to measure the speed of a free running Dobe?

At the Santa photo shoot on Saturday, Kaiser and his friend, an American Dobe, were greeted by one of the pet store elves. She was mesmerized by K and even asked if they were the same! Ppl tend to think he's bigger but he's not taller than most American Dobes. I just think he's young, has a leaner chest, and therefore his legs look longer. Yet, when the Dobernado surrounds me, I can't spot my boy from the rest, and he's the only euro boy there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

As a rule, Euro means bulkier, more substantial head, more profuse flews, and somewhat heavier weight. I know Kaiser is a Euro, but I don't see those physical qualities in him. Like I said, he looks a lot more like a working-Euro like Oji. I came up with a way to express things, though it does not directly address Euro v N.A.: Most Dobermans that you will ever see are like luxury Mercedes sedans. Hardcore Working Dobermans are like Porsche race cars.

Speaking to your question of measuring the running speed of a Dobe: Hmm. I just compare mine against others when they're in a chase – a la dog park. As I alluded to, Oji gets outrun by a lot of dogs – we're talking mixed breeds and whatever – even dogs his size or larger. Now, if Oji really turns it on he seems to be able to just keep up, but you would certainly think that a very strong, smallish, athletic Dobe from IPO lines would be faster than most dogs except some of the sighthounds. Here is where I blame his large front paws for slowing him down. Think about it: Each stroke of the leg requires moving that additional mass, and fighting the inertia the paw develops.

Sorry for hijacking the thread about the ear crop. I hate to ever ask this of our hard-working moderators, but I'm sure there is a great thread into which this can be moved. In the meantime, I find this a really useful exchange of information, @Kaiser2016 !

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kaiser2016

Ya I don't get that either. I think his head is bigger and blockier. But I saw an American red boy who, while panting after a run, looked like he had Kaiser's head! It was a beautiful head! A good amount of under jaw as well. From what I've seen, the Americans are almost always heavier than him. My hb seems to think a lot of Dobes we see are a bit overweight but I never noticed it. I will cast a more critical eye at the rib area the next time I see the Dobe crew.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kaiser2016

The males take up to 3 yrs to fill out the chest muscles from what I've read. He's 16 months now. I wouldn't expect him to stay this way, although that would be fine too. I do hope he doesn't get taller as his height has been stable for many months now. He's not from hardcore working lines, we could not handle that! There was a good amount more conformation by both his parents. Going OT here again, haha, from his litter he was one of the least sharp dogs. We know the sharp dog. He's in our city and he's a handful despite going to a multi-Dobe experienced household. I thank my lucky stars that my only rule to my hb was to avoid picking the first born male. :thumbsup:

How old is Oji?

I agree that the @JanS could split this off as it's very interesting to figure these things out. The only other euro in my local group is a girl from unknown lines.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Oh Little Oji

Oji is 3 years, 4 months old now. Yeah Kaiser will fill out more, and wind up outweighing Oji.

I'd like to compare K's and O's pedigrees sometime. Well, you say there's a good amount of conformation in there on K's, so I doubt the two guys would have much ancestry in common. Anyway, I think they look somewhat similar.

9. Kaiser2016

Let's do that. K is 75 lbs right now.
    Lol, that's why you should stop saying that Oji isn't adorable! Our dogs look alike and I think mine is beautiful :D and others say it without any solicitation, so there you go!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Do you think the place of origin or combination of origins might cause the differences in the Euro’s?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Oh Little Oji

Ha! Oops, I guess I stepped in it there!

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Kaiser2016

It must be the case. Ppl on here talk about South American Dobes being different from North American, for example. There could be something to it with the euros too.

13. Kaiser2016

Maybe it's all the vegetarians surrounding him :spit:

Are his poops still solid since you switched his food?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Oh Little Oji

I would say so.

15. blacknrust

blacknrust Member

I don't remember ever seeing a picture of Oji....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I split it out but I wasn't exactly sure what to title it, so hopefully it's okay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  17. Oh Little Oji

There is probably some truth to that generalization. I'd say also it just depends on which Euro lines and combination of Euro lines one is talking about.

When I look at a Euro pedigree I do mostly see the expected blockier, bulkier less streamlined and elegant look; but I do see some of the more streamlined look in some of the Dobes as well. I'm going to see if I can find it, but there is an influential European Dobe I saw a picture of on one of those websites where you can search for Dobes and their pedigrees. This male, I dared to think, looked similar to Oji. The main difference is that Oji has such a majorly rounded croup and low tailset which results in that upward curve – almost hump – in the topline.

18. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

IMHO Dobe paws look more like cheeta paws than tiger paws.
    As far as IPO agility vs speed - I think that (like so much else) depends on the judge and possibly breed. A slow Dobe is probably still faster than a fast Rot, so how does one judge it? An very agile Dobe is probably still not as agile as an average Mal.

I'd agree with that generalization.

Of course an over generalization but ... Yes absolutely. Dobes from Eastern EU are bigger/thicker/stockier (how ever you want to describe it) than the Western EU Dobes. Italian Dobes are generally like the Eastern EU dobes. Scandinavian Dobes are more like Western EU Dobes. That isn't to say you can't find breeders in any country that breeds thicker or slimmer. For example I know of a breeder in Hungary who's lines are pretty small and sleek.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Kaiser2016

Astute observation :thumbsup2: He occasionally posts one in his avatar and then I zoom in on it :D

Give us a new picture and load it up full size @Oh Little Oji!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Kaiser2016

Thanks! It's perfect.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1