Did our vet crop our puppies ears too short?

Klaus 0818

E76CF736-49E2-4164-87D9-D4F6179788B3.jpeg A5F89ADC-2A3D-4ECA-A0CE-88C0DE258F5E.jpeg 94A2666D-7BD4-4C81-9B1A-4E4EBF5EEE79.png

Hello, we got our puppy Klaus ears done a week ago. He is 10 weeks and already weighs close to 20lbs he’s a big boy. Did our vet cut his ears to short? I asked for a show crop and really hope his ears don’t turn out short or goofy looking.

Either way we will love him! He’s a good pup!

One photo is him before crop!

B6520401-8855-4A8F-979B-57D6A001116F.jpeg C69A2B4C-59E4-440A-88C9-759559F05505.jpeg

I don’t think i was pulling them up far enough in the first picture so here’s how they actually look! I think they look much better

You will be pulling them up during posting so that should help.

That’s what i figured, I do like the cut he did there is no roundness pretty thin and straight just wish there was a tad bit more length. I bet they will come out better than what I’m thinking right now once they’ve been posted for several months.

Going to use tampons with adhesive tape and soft tape probably for at least 4-6 months

Last edited:
It's easy to be paranoid when you first see the cropped ears. I'm pretty sure there are better methods that will be suggested very shortly. Lots of members do their own posting and the ears turn out great.

Welcome!

Yeah, it doesn't look like a show length crop to me. Closer to medium. I put the word "length" in italics because it looks like a show style crop in that they removed a good amount of bell. I like this look, as it give a nice clean, streamlined, classy look. The cropped edge of the ear, viewed from the front, goes pretty straight up.

Looks good to me. Congrats on your pup!

It's easy to be paranoid when you first see the cropped ears. I'm pretty sure there are better methods that will be suggested very shortly. Lots of members do their own posting and the ears turn out great.

I’m interested in the other methods! I’ve heard of people using backer rod and torbot or something cement?

Welcome!

Yeah, it doesn't look like a show length crop to me. Closer to medium. I put the word "length" in italics because it looks like a show style crop in that they removed a good amount of bell. I like this look, as it give a nice clean, streamlined, classy look. The cropped edge of the ear, viewed from the front, goes pretty straight up.

Looks good to me. Congrats on your pup!

Your post made me feel much better! Yes I really hammered the fact that i wanted a straight with a lot of bell removed.

I’m interested in the other methods! I’ve heard of people using backer rod and torbot or something cement?
Yep, those are all recommended! We didn't do the posting ourselves, but others here have many techniques they use. They can pretty much solve every problem!

He’s a good looking dude! His paws are what gets me they are bigger than most adult size dogs we’ve come across
Very common to hear that. Everyone talks about Kaiser's paw size. He's full size and people still comment that he must be growing.

He’s a good looking dude! His paws are what gets me they are bigger than most adult size dogs we’ve come across
It seems to me that Dobermans have large front paws in general. I don't know why really. The breed is supposed to be very fast, but i have a theory that large paws slow a dog down.

My current boy, Oji, has large paws despite being a small Dobe. Well, he's full-height at 28" but narrowly built with a smallish head (especially snout) and weighs in at just 75 pounds. Oji's paws are probably just a large as some of the largest Dobermans you'll find out there. My neighbor, who I don't think has any specific dog knowledge, commented one day that my dog never seemed to grow into his paws.

I have found that Oji is not as fast a runner as you would think such a svelt, slim built-for-speed working Dobermann would be. Seems many dogs can outrun him.

But oh, those paws are like clubs! The way he can slam them on the floor! If he plays with another dog, you can hear them thumping down in the other dog's back and ribcage. :lolsign:

To get back to the original thread, I believe you have a really nice medium crop. It is possible there was not enough ear leather to have a longer crop than you have, it all depends on the length of the ear. Those are going to be some nice ears when they are finished, very nice looking dobe you have.
Enjoy all the days of puppyhood they grow up fast.

Most crop vets will listen to what you want and will try to do what you want but in truth it depends on head size, length of the ear. If the pup does not have a lot of length to their ear leather then the vet will crop accordingly to what they have and again the size and shape of head. I think he is going to look great!

Back