Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

DHPP vaccines schedule.

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by raym0016, Jul 26, 2019.

1. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

My 14 week old puppy had distemper vaccines at 8, 11, and 14 weeks. Today the scheduler said he needs another DHPP at 18 weeks and then even another a month later!!! Is that right? Everything I have read said 3 total by 14-16 weeks. Should I cancel the appointment? Are additional boosters unnecessary? Thanks!

2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

I would say not another after 18weeks.

Also NEVER get a Rabies vaccination done at the same time with any other vaccine. Space it out at least 1 month or more from any other vaccine.

Usually they are at 8-10, 12-14, 16-18weeks. Then you would Titer at 2 weeks after the last vaccines. This is to be sure they have protective antibodies for Parvo, Distemper and Adeno.
    This just checks they are protected. Because some dogs can be a non-responder and not make antibodies for some reason. Like something is wrong with their immune system or the vaccine was bad.

If you want to follow a Minimal Vaccine Schedule. Follow Dr. Jean Dodds, DVM
    www.hemopet.org

[PDF]
    Dr. Jean Dodds' Recommended Vaccination Schedule
    bannerckcs.com/Files/vaccination protocol.pdf
    Dr. W. Jean Dodd's vaccination protocol is now being adopted by ALL 27 North American veterinary schools. I highly recommend that you read this. VACCINATION NEWS FLASH I would like to make you aware that all 27 veterinary schools in North America are in the process of

Here is a lot of reading about vaccines.
    Disease and Vaccine Related Articles

18th Jul 2016 | 35 notes
    2016 Dodds Vaccination Protocol for Dogs

[​IMG]
    The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one I recommend and should not be interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It’s a matter of professional judgment and choice.

9 - 10 weeks of age

Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV
    e.g. Merck Nobivac (Intervet Progard) Puppy DPV

14 – 15 weeks of age

18 weeks of age
    Parvovirus only, MLV
    Note: New research states that last puppy parvovirus vaccine should be at 18 weeks old.

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law
    Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines
    Mercury-free (thimerosol-free, TF)

1 year old
    This is an optional booster or titer. If the client intends not to booster after this optional booster or intends to retest titers in another three years, this optional booster at puberty is wise.

1 year old
    Rabies – give 3-4 weeks apart from other vaccines
    3-year product if allowable by law; mercury-free (TF)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. Visit The Rabies Challenge Fund for more information.

W. Jean Dodds, DVM
    Hemopet / NutriScan
    11561 Salinaz Avenue
    Garden Grove, CA 92843

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

Thanks, so do a 4th DHPP at 18 weeks and then be done? Also, I’ve seen the rabies at different times than other vaccines argument and there seems to be some differing opinions. He had a rabies shot today too. Anything I need to look out for?

• Like Like x 1
  4. strykerdobe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

I thought 4 sounded crazy too. Apparently the guidelines were updated, those articles are no longer accurate depending upon who you ask. Someone on another group said it is recommended to give DHPP through 20 at least 20 weeks which puts me at 5 total. It’s frustrating that there isn’t one right answer for someone looking for it. I just want to do the right thing for my dog.

6. strykerdobe

Well I would not give that amount of vaccines. 5 is very crazy! Especially to a puppy who's Immune System isn't fully developed until 6mo old.

#1 I like to see the new guidelines your talking about?
    #2 And who did you talk to?

Well also you have to remember Vets make a lot of $$$$ giving vaccines! So keep doing your research!

Well Dr. Dodds, DVM and Dr. Ronald Schultz, PhD are very highly respected in the Vet and vaccine areas. Dr. Schultz, PhD has over 40yrs of research and was a teaching professor (Vet School in Madison, Wisconsin) in Immunology and Duration of Immunity of vaccines. He is also the reason why vaccine protocols have been change for Core Vaccines from yearly to every 3 years. Because his research the Duration of Immunity for Parvo and Distemper can last 5-7yrs and up to the life of the pet.
    We have attended one of Dr. Schultz's vaccine seminars.
    One thing he did say. Pets need puppy vaccines. But too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

Too many vaccines don't cause disease but can trigger them. Such as Allergies, Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia which had happen to one of our Dobes that we had, Cancer (Proven at injection site in cats) and lots of others.

Well the only thing to tell you is what we follow and did do for our female. Last Core Vaccines (Parvo, Distemper) at 16-18weeks. Then we Titered 2 weeks later. She showed positive antibodies.
    By 16-18weeks (which would be the last vaccine time frame) the Maternal Antibodies (which they get from the Dams Colostrum) will have waned enough at this time for the immune system to make protective antibodies.

One other thing about Core Puppy Vaccines. Anytime a vaccine is given and the Maternal Antibodies have not waned enough. They will block a vaccine. This is the idea behind giving the course of 3 Core Vaccines. They are trying to time when the Maternal Antibodies have waned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow x 1