Dewclaw question

does your dog have OR did have dewclaws on back legs?

• Total voters

Judith

Hot Topics Subscriber
I have notice with seeing lots of Dobe pictures some have dewclaws on the back legs and some don't, Bella and all her puppies have never had them on the back legs, but I have seen lots of Dobes with them , how can this be? surely they should all be without them or all have them, I have wondered for a while just thought I would ask to see if someone knows.

I have never seen a doberman with back dews. I would question the breeding - that somewhere back down the line something else was bred in and was not revealed. BUT to me it shows that if the back dews are gone on this breed they weren't needed if you believe in evolution which I don't but it then tells me neither are the front dews needed and I prefer the clean sleek look and to eliminate the chance of injury.

Archer only has front, never had back dews. Beaucerons have been known to have rear dewclaws. Perhaps that is why they pop up on occasion on the Doberman.

A beauceron puppy and adult
beauceron_cani.jpg

Beauceron.png

they have these unique double dewclaws
beauceron-dewclaw.jpg

Ugh, well dummy me for not knowing that! :whistle: Interesting dog. Looks Doberman and Shepherd. And Whoa, those are some dewclaws! :shock: Looks like cropped ears and furry, natural tail. Flop the ears and it could be a Rotti. Well, with the C/D ban anyway.

Dewclaws on the front legs serve a purpose, but most dogs will never be in a situation to need them. I forget where I saw the video, but it was for some kind of retriever and it showed several dogs without dewclaws and several with them trying to get out of water that was iced over. None of the dogs without dewclaws could get out. All of the clawed dogs easily 'caught' the ice and got out.
They also help with holding toys and chews and for turning tight corners when running.

It's weird how they remove the front claw but leave the doubles on the back of a Beauceron. :/

A beauceron puppy and adult

Wow, now that's interesting.... Last week a got a very fast heads up that there was a Doberman puppy at the local shelter and I immediately sprang into action to see if he could be transported to DRM in the cities because I know they'd never place him correctly here. My friend who gave me the heads-up couldn't stand it and drove out there to take a look and see for sure what breed he was since he was found living in a culvert on the highway. She had worked there for many years and said if there is any Doberman in the pup, it's very little and she snapped a pic for me.

Anyway, seeing the above pics, I see a resemblance to this pup right there - maybe...
Pup at shelter Sept 2013.jpg

BTW, sorry for the hijack Judith... :rolleyes:

I'm just looking at the dew claws on this one and it looks like someone at least took the time to have them removed... :scratch:

It is part of the breed standard for the Beauceron. If they don't have double dewclaws on both rear legs, it is a disqualification, same with the Briard. Anatolian Shepherd Dogs & St Bernards are known to have double dews on the back feet, but no DQ if they are removed. I'm sure there are other breeds, maybe the Neopolitan Mastiff, but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
I have never seen a Doberman with dews on the hind feet.

It is part of the breed standard for the Beauceron. If they don't have double dewclaws on both rear legs, it is a disqualification, same with the Briard. Anatolian Shepherd Dogs & St Bernards are known to have double dews on the back feet, but no DQ if they are removed. I'm sure there are other breeds, maybe the Neopolitan Mastiff, but those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Wow, an actual standard? Very interesting since I have never seen a hind leg dewclaw. Interesting that it grows on some dogs and not others. And to make it a standard is, IDK, just kinda weird. But I guess it defines the breed from others.

That's what I love about this Forum! You learn something all the time! :D

Great White Pyrenees also has double digit dews in the hind.

I agree that they keep them there for the standard.

Back