Deer killed Doberman in Tewksbury

F

FredC

For all those concerned about dogs chasing deer...

Deer killed Doberman in Tewksbury
By Stephen Stirling/For The Star-Ledger
December 02, 2009, 1:19PM

TEWKSBURY -- Police said an investigation has determined a buck killed a Hedge Row Crossing resident’s Doberman Pinscher late last month after it was initially believed a hunter had shot it.

On Nov. 21 the resident called police to report that he believed his dog had been shot and killed by a hunter after it had been seen chasing a deer in the neighborhood earlier that day. The resident, who was not named, sent an e-mail warning neighbors of illegal hunting going on in the neighborhood before a formal investigation was conducted.

But an investigation and autopsy by New Jersey Fish, Game, and Wildlife revealed that the dog had died from injuries sustained in a fight with the buck it had been seen chasing earlier that day.

Yes, those bucks can get pretty dangerous, especially when they're in rut.
I really hate to see any dog out there chasing them though...

Oh man you should see the comments from the hunting community on this article. I have to agree with most of them. but this hits home for me considering the hunters were talking about how many dogs they had shot for running dear. Pissed me off to no end reading that crap. I had a wolf hybrid that was shot thru the neck with an arrow on my own property several years back. Wonder how many of these hunters wonder on private property (trespass) and shoot dogs. Sorry about the rant, just a hit little close to home there.

I hate hunting season, I am always afraid they get caught up in the hunt and forget about their surroundings. They hunt just too close to homes, there should be a limit as to how close they can come, and if they should shoot someones pet on private property there should be a hefty fine and they shouldn't be allowed a hunting license again!!

I feel so bad for the dobie.. animals have no clue what they are getting themselves into.. i know accidents happen without cause sometimes..those deer have strong legs and one kick could be fatal.And deer are so frantic from the hunters.. when they feel the panic they freeze in one spot and kick..i would hunt the hunter if they ever shot one of my pets..

.i would hunt the hunter if they ever shot one of my pets..
OMG, yes!~

I bought Buddy a bright orange nylon collar a couple of weeks ago just for this reason. Even my neighbor commented that it was 'high profile'. I was glad to hear that! Running Dobes DO look like deer sometimes!

I wouldn't want my dog to tangle with any wild creature. They are all capable of inflicting injury or death.

I agree that if the dog is shot on your property it's horrible. That said, there are so many dogs that people don't take responsibility for and I've seen deer face a horrible death when a few wandering neighborhood dogs go after them, especially in the deeper snow when the deer is helpless to get away. Those owners should be punished big time... :cuss:

The other thing that's been more prevalent the past few years is a$$hole snowmobilers who think it's great sport to run helpless deer into the ground on their snowmobiles when the poor deer has no chance whatsoever to get away.... :cuss:

The other thing that's been more prevalent the past few years is a$$hole snowmobilers who think it's great sport to run helpless deer into the ground on their snowmobiles when the poor deer has no chance whatsoever to get away....

I think some hunters get discouraged when they sit in the cold all day for nothing and begin to look for a reason to shoot anything that moves. I have no issues with hunting. but some so called hunters are compensating for the lack of something else. ;)

I live in a huge hunting area. Yeah, hunters around here have no probs with shooting a dog that is chasing deer. I agree to some extent..but sheesh. But then I also believe in having wolves in the wild too...and the hunters go bonkers over that idea...so worried about the decline in deer/elk herds..but frankly more deer/elk are killed by poachers and wasted just because of their antlers than any wolf pack. I think there could be a good balance.........oops getting off topic sorry lol

yeah, i agree...people need to keep their dogs on their property and keep them from chasing deer...they could get hurt. But hunters around here have no probs with going on private property and hunting either..and they are just in your face about it too ...grrr

come on my property; your getting a warning.
shoot at my dog; i'm shooting back.
no joke.

come on my property; your getting a warning.
shoot at my dog; i'm shooting back.
no joke.

Me too!! and I'll be well armed while warning!! I was outside cleaning leaves out of our gutters the day before gun season started here and I heard gunfire from all around,a couple shots very close.I always breath a sigh of relief when hunting season ends.
I think there's a wide range of hunters,kind of like pit bull owners,some are responsible morally,some not.I saw a Nat Geo. program a while ago about an wealthy hunter who'd gone to Canada and paid a guide 50K for a polar bear kill(illegal in US) that ended up being a grizzly/polar bear hybrid.The guide pretty much did everything but pull the trigger and all he took was the head and hide for a trophy,made me want to puke,that's so wrong!! On the other hand,my best friend fills his freezer every year with venison responsibly and I have no problems with that.
I just couldn't shoot our deer after feeding them and gaining their trust,all the deer around my property have probably been eating corn from me for their whole life.It's very rare that they even run off more than a few yards when I take some out for them.

Nature!!! Dog challenged, lost. It's the owners responsibility to control their dogs by limiting their access, can't blame the deer, Ha. The Dobermann wasn't tuff enough, thats life..............and death. NATURE. von Cosack.

Back