1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Darwins Premade Raw

Discussion in 'Raw & Home Cooked Diets' started by luckybeemer, Nov 16, 2019.

1. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

Does or has anyone fed Darwin's premade raw?

2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

No input I’m afraid, it’s not a brand that we have in the UK. All I remember is reading an article last year about a recall on Darwin’s.
    Do you have an ingredients list for the pre-made? What’s the price like compared to other commercial pre-mades? A good selection of proteins?

3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I started raw feeding with Darwin’s. To be honest I really liked the product. The recalls were more for human concern of contracting salmonella than the pet having ill effects from it.
    Unfortunately the cost was a lot with two high energy dobes. The shipping cost is significant but I still found their food to be good. Everything was ground and packaged according to the ratios of muscle, organ, bone and veggies and came packaged individually in 1/2lb amounts.

Their proteins are Chicken, Beef, Bison, Emu, Lamb, Duck, turkey and Fish.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

474C55EE-06E1-4309-9DF0-44695BB286BE.jpeg 6201ACC4-E5F7-44E8-89F4-6DB0EAF019A1.jpeg B7F34C13-CC0E-4BA6-AA94-55917114E8C6.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

@Tropicalbri's and @Viemarangelrock thank you both. I remembered reading that you @Tropicalbri fed Darwin's at one time. Right now I am feeding my puppy (she will be 6 months on November 25) about 4-6 "cubes" per day. She is eating 3 times a day. I was feeding it cold, but then my husband who feeds her at lunch on my workdays was "warming" it in the microwave for 30 seconds for 2 cubes & 45 seconds for 3 cubes. She gets sardines with one meal on Sundays. Occasionally she gets frozen pumpkin, coconut oil, pumpkin/fish oil, yogurt, cottage cheese or blueberry treats. I'm only feeding the beef Darwin's now because I thought she was allergic to chicken and or eggs. I bought a powder probiotic recommended by another member, however I have only used it a few times. I do like the Darwin's but right now I am spending $300 every 2 weeks. :wideyed: I started with the Primal freeze dried chicken, but I didn't like the prep work involved in it. And actually I think at $30 /14 ounce bag I would spend more on that. That's assuming she eats a bag a day in order to gain weight. She is only 46 pounds now.
    Right now Darwin's only offers chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, and duck.
    Do you guys think I should still feed the probiotic and other supplements or is the Darwin's complete? One thing that has me wondering is the orange specks in her poop, at first I thought it was carrots....but carrots are not in the list of ingredients. :thumbsdown:

6. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

My original goal was to make her raw diet meals myself, I attempted when she first came home. But That's on hold for now. I am trying to read Dr Becker's real food book and I have the list strikerdobe posted. Just trying to be a good dobie mom. Lol

7. Tropicalbri's

I would not heat the food as it destroys the good nutrients in the food.

I have always fed probiotics everyday since they were pups. I use Nature’s Farmacy Dogzymes Complete. It’s a 3 product in one blend and much better than feeding all three separately. I also give the TriCranC vitamin C or the Super C daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

Yes.... I told him this info before and just yesterday I reinforced it. Lol. Thank you. I also bought vit c, but once I got home I realized it was not the Ester C that was recommended even tho That's how I wrote it on my list of things to buy and kept looking for it*I was distracted by another customer*.
    The probiotic I have is Garden of life primal defense. She doesn't drink much water or very often (fresh water is always available). Her urine still burns the grass. Wonder if I add a teaspoon of the Mother's ACV to one meal a day if that will help.

9. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

:facepalm:May have to send him frequent reminders not to microwave the meals. Like Bri has mentioned it’ll kill all the goodness, plus the meals are complete and contain bone. We take the meals out of the freezer the night before and let them thaw overnight.
    To quicken up the process you can pop the bag/container in a bowl of luke warm water.

As for ACV (with the ‘mother’) a definite yes on that. We give 1 tablespoon morning and evening, too. Some people add it to their dogs drinking water instead. It’s what works best for your dog. Some don’t entertain ACV added to their water.

10. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

11. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

First, are we talking about cooking the food in a microwave or just taking the chill out for a few seconds. Can someone explain how a few seconds say 15 to 30 depending on the amount of food will take out all the goodness?

12. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

Lol. @NamVetJoe, that's all he was trying to do was take the chill off of it. He meant no harm.
    That's how I thaw as well. In the am, I put the next day's allotment in the fridge to slowly thaw.
    I have the "Bragg" organic acv I will begin adding the the am and pm meals.
    Looking online now for those two supplements as well.
    Thank you all. You guys Rock.
    Figured out it is the yams that go undigested.

13. Tropicalbri's

Microwaves work like radio waves that penetrate walls, it starts penetrating the food. The molecules vibrate to create heat. The faster the molecules vibrate the hotter they get, cooking from the inside out.
    Even 30 secs can heat the food enough to start the cooking process breaking down the nutrients. It’s not going to affect it a lot but it does alter it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

15. Tropicalbri's

The amounts are very small in the percentage of vegetables they get with a raw diet. They are a great source of nutrients, high fiber, Vit A, C, B6 and low fat.