Cup Head

luckybeemer

Notable member
Just got sutures out on Tuesday, cup stays on until next Wednesday, then on Thursday 1st post per the vet. The vet is 2 hours away, so I am hoping I will be able to follow the posting instructions after the first post. Thankful she let me clean her ears today. And super thankful for all the education available on this site.

Attachments

• 20190904_210414.jpg
    20190904_210414.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 42
There are so many great threads on posting, just keep reading until you can't stand it anymore! You'll do fine. Keep us "posted" on your progress. Sorry, the pun just happened. :wacky:

Looks good and I agree that you're much better off do do it yourself after the initial posting. We're always here to answer questions as well, if you have them.

Awesome. You guys are great. Love the pun too. I tried buying supplies Tuesday, but was unsuccessful finding the backer rods at the Kannapolis home depot

I checked with 2 sales associates, the paint/caulk aisle, plumbing aisle, and aisle 18 close to the building supplies before giving up to make sure we made the vet appt on time. Lol. On the positive note she did get to explore Home Depot.
Per the vet, I take the cup off Wednesday then on Thursday the veteran charge nurse/posting pro will do Remi's first posting. She is the only one in the clinic that can teach owners how to post. So hopefully I can video her and learn to do it myself. Weekly 4hour round trips would be rough. Plus I want that experience/bonding with her.
Bathing is another thing I need to work on. The 1st and only 2 baths she had, she hated so I want her more comfortable with everything from nail trims, ear postings and baths.

I checked with 2 sales associates, the paint/caulk aisle, plumbing aisle, and aisle 18 close to the building supplies before giving up to make sure we made the vet appt on time.
I usually find it near the weatherization/insulation area. Tampons will also work if you can't find the backer rod.

I went to Lowe’s one time and basically got a tour of the whole place with sales associates trying to help me out. At one point they brought me to this one section with this stuff that was for concrete joints it was as thick as my wrist lol. I don’t think I ever found it there and ended up going to Home Depot. Did you find it eventually?

I just wanted to throw my two cents in here.. It's pretty easy to post so don't be nervous about it.. your first attempts may look awful but the only really important things is that they are completely healed and clean. The only thing to be super careful of other than that is make sure you just wrap by laying the tape around the ear do not make it tight. Someone to help hold the puppy for sure makes it easier... When you do it is helpful too..wait until your pup is sleepy and that is the best time to wrap..lol Don't do it when he's playful and raring to go..wait until he's worn out from playing. ..you'll find it much easier to wrap a sleepy puppy ;) You can get backer rod on Amazon.Amazon.com: 5/8 backer rod I would get Gorilla duct tape also to wrap around the backer rod..it makes it stiff and then back wrap with your sports tape. Here's how to create the post.

Here is most of the rest of what you need to know... I don't cut the slit at the ear base because I have never found it important but other than that ..this is the method I use and like. The tape removal is important too so you don't rip all the hair off the ears . it's really all easy to do, Good luck and keep us updated..We love photos :)
and the tape removal too

Oh and just for fun here is how Joe's ears look now. ;) It's a process but the results are worth the effort.. Joe just turned two years old at the end of August! I think I need another puppy too! lol ;)
AD7A2415 CROP.jpg

Awesome. You guys rock. @Max Hawk thank you thank you. Tbh, I actually used a few of your pictures as examples for the vet of what I wanted. I've been watching some videos, but feel more comfortable following one I know you guys recommend. One concern I have is being able to follow the medial ear fold. I think almost all the scabs are healed so we should be ready for first posting on Thursday. These are pic of the ears last night. Should I take the cup off for at 4am on wed or just before bed wed night for a Thursday post20190908_184821.jpg

Attachments

• 20190908_184658.jpg
    20190908_184658.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 8
Yup you look ready to post... Don't worry so much! lol When you set the post in the ear pocket just pull the ear up straight and the fold becomes set as you pull the ear upright. It's important to stretch the ear up as you put the post in. When you have done that then it help to take you hand from the bottom of the ear and make sure the ear is in contact with the post you just basically smooth it all the way up..so it sticks better and you'll have less trouble with posts popping out at the bottom of the ear. You want that ear to be stretched upward ..that's what helps you get a nice tight upright ear. My very first Doberman I made the mistake of not really doing this and although his ears turned out okay one was always not quite and stiffly upright and had a bit of a bend in it.. grrrr but I learned my lesson.. This is why it's nice to have an experienced person show you exactly ..We were kind of on our own with my first pup. ;)

I usually find it near the weatherization/insulation area. Tampons will also work if you can't find the backer rod.
The worst thing about the tampons besides begin expensive is they tend to pop out of the ear more. lol I remember when ..the tampons were the first way I learned to post ..the backer rod is just miles more worthy. :)

backer rod is also called pre calking filler rod.
That must be the politically correct term. heehee.. I used backer rod to find it on Amazon. I personally called it that round foam stuff but then they just confused when I ask for it at Home Depot..of course they look at me confused anyway most of the time!:facepalm:

Back