Cropping

Dragonborn

Hot Topics Subscriber
What is the absolute latest that a crop can be done? I know the age is ideal at 8-12 weeks... But I have a friend who is wanting me to adopt his 3 1/2 month old fawn dobe because he cannot take care of him. I have a feeling the ear crop has passed tho :(

Lets see, that's about 14 weeks if I'm figuring correctly? You could probably still do it at that age if you have it done right away and it might take some extra time posting. I just wouldn't have a long crop since that would make it much harder to get them to stand.

We need pics if you get him/her. :)

Lets see, that's about 14 weeks if I'm figuring correctly? You could probably still do it at that age if you have it done right away and it might take some extra time posting. I just wouldn't have a long crop since that would make it much harder to get them to stand.

yes ma'am. :) .. it'll be straight to the vets office LOL.. And heres a pic... My friend has taken very good care of him. Hes going to be a big boy I think....

10612623_769303459777534_6317438280036136093_n.jpg

yes ma'am. :) .. it'll be straight to the vets office LOL.. And heres a pic... My friend has taken very good care of him. Hes going to be a big boy I think....

View attachment 36563

Aww he's a cutie! The way his ears are wanting to pull up I think they'll want to readily stand for you.

How exciting!! He is big for 14 weeks....or maybe mine have been small at 14 weeks ;)

Please let us know if you take him. Rooting for you!

14 weeks isn't too late for a medium length crop from what I've heard. But why are we talking about ears? You're getting a new puppy!!!???!!! :congrats:

14 weeks is pretty borderline when trying to find a vet.. I know neither of my crop vets will touch a pup past 12 weeks.

my vet doesnt like to do it past 12 weeks either, but will go as old as 14, mostly depends on the dog and the condition of the ears, those ears look like they might stand pretty well though

Well its official, hes coming home on Monday!! Wooohoo :D I spent 3 hours last night with him & he has a great disposition. He is more relaxed than what I'm used too (Bella was hard headed LOL)... he did great in the car & we took him around children and he did wonderful. His name on his pedigree is "Prince Roscoe", and I think the name Prince fits him nicely. So excited!! I HAVE SHOPPING TO DO!!! :D :D

Congrats! Some vets will do them as old as 16 weeks and some will not do them past 10 weeks. It really depends on where you go. And like man said, with the ears the way they are in that picture they might work to your advantage!

Well its official, hes coming home on Monday!! Wooohoo :D I spent 3 hours last night with him & he has a great disposition. He is more relaxed than what I'm used too (Bella was hard headed LOL)... he did great in the car & we took him around children and he did wonderful. His name on his pedigree is "Prince Roscoe", and I think the name Prince fits him nicely. So excited!! I HAVE SHOPPING TO DO!!! :D :D
How awesome!Great news.
I'm voting for Roscoe over Prince:)

Yay, congrats! Now we get more puppy pics!

I like PR or Roscoe too, but of course it's your option to call him what "you" like. ;)

With all the members here, is there anyone that may know a vet that is experienced in Doberman crops between Ft. Lauderdale and Key West, Fl.?
Many vets are no longer doing crops and the ones that do are not really experienced in Dobie crops down here. Any info or help locating one would be greatly appreciated!!

With all the members here, is there anyone that may know a vet that is experienced in Doberman crops between Ft. Lauderdale and Key West, Fl.?
Many vets are no longer doing crops and the ones that do are not really experienced in Dobie crops down here. Any info or help locating one would be greatly appreciated!!
Does your breeder know anyone that they could reccomend ? Or are the parents cropped ? Maybe you could have the breeder get them cropped before you get them ?

Maybe you could have the breeder get them cropped before you get them ?
Yes, most breeders will have them cropped before they send them home. If the parents are cropped and it's a nice crop I'd check with the breeder. Otherwise I live on the opposite end of the country so I have no idea about good crop vets down there, but other members might.

Back