Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

cropping issues

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by johnfin, Jan 24, 2019.

1. johnfin

johnfin Jr Member

so i had both of my puppies cropped 4 days ago and they have scratched the tape and sticks off. took to the vet and they said dont put ANYTHING on the ears. the bleeding really hasnt stopped and the blood is getting all over the house not to mention the dogs are in pain.

2. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

im only speaking from my wild guys ear crop but he needed the cone of shame to stop itching and scratching at them ( he got a couple stitches out ) they were left open to heal no tape or anything while with stitches. I used vitamin e oil once a day to keep from drying out and itching. i would take back to vet and see if they need any stitches put back in and go with the cones at least for a few days

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Agree with the above. Were they tested for vWD?

4. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, surprised the vet did not recommend the cone.

I read that you can also use a pool noodle.

5. johnfin

johnfin Jr Member

i asked about the cone, vet said it could interfere with the ears standing correctly.

can you check a puppy for vwd, didnt think you could.

6. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

are the ears posted and taped with stitches still in them?

7. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

You have two puppies that got cropped at the same time? Are they litter mates? You are a gluten for punishment. :rofl:

It will be hard keeping them from tearing each others posts out. You may have to keep them separated for a few weeks. If the stitches are not out yet then they shouldn’t be posted unless you are doing the styrofoam cup method.

8. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

If you have health testing from the breeder than you probably don’t need to test. But they usually test before surgery.

9. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Some vets will attach to a coffe cup so stitches are left out to the air until they can be removed and the ears have healed. Like this
    E8571E04-0168-48B2-A50E-4E8C913EA419.jpeg 9219AB24-8EA7-4E40-8AA1-9DDAACC1BE01.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

If the vet had the incisions covered with tape that could cause the bleeding and infection to set in. I agree that if the vet didn't put the cup on the head which keeps them up, it's better to leave them until they are healed and the stitches are out. They definitely shouldn't be in pain since that isn't normal.
    Our breeders have had the parents tested so if they're both clear, the pup will be too. I used the DNA kits to test our two since they could have possibly been carriers but not affected. You can get the test kits from either Vetnostic or Vet Gen.
    https://www.vetnostic.com/index.php?route=product/breed&breed_id=4
    VetGen: Veterinary Genetic Services - Canine - Order Tests