Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Cropping Ears a 2nd Time

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Brevig, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Brevig

Brevig Hot Topics Subscriber

I have a 7 1/2 month old Doberman whose ears were very long cropped and they do not stand at the end. I went to the vet/dog store today and the vet was there and suggested I come back tomorrow so he can look at it to see about cropping it again. Is this something I should consider? Also, her right ear tends to bend back more and falls MUCH faster than the left, any thoughts?

BACKGROUND:
    I'm an American living in Cambodia for 3+ years, I do not speak the language very well and English here is limited, making details sometimes hard to get. I got the dob around 3 1/2 months old and the ears were not taped up at the time of buying, but were fully healed. They were not standing either, and I'm not sure how long they were left untapped.
    - I have kept her ears taped up 1-7 days at a time (depending on how long it takes her to get it off, but past 3 months is mostly 3-7 days).
    - I leave her ears off tape 1-12 hours then tape up again
    - I use the straw/gauze/tape method.
    - I have taken 3 trips from 5-8 days each in length where most the time her ears were not taped.
    - Her ear crop is really long
    - Tips fall down within 30-180 minutes of removing the wrap, but will stay straight when she is alert for up to a day or two.
    - The ears eventually fall back where they bend very close to their base (maybe 1/4th the way up the ear from the head) (the longest of the 3 trips was just 3 weeks ago and when I got her back everything was fully down like months ago).
    - The ears start to fall back after 3-24 hours. The right ear like 3-9 hours and left ear 6-24 hours.

Since I live in an underdeveloped country, even though my vet is the best in the city, I'm skeptical. Also, even if re-cropping is a viable option, how long should I wait before deciding the do it? I mean like is it normal for a 7 1/2 month old Doberman to still need their ears tapped and I just need to struggle on OR have I missed so much, plus the crop was too long, and now I should fix it before it's too late?

2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That alone would stop me. God knows if they have the right equipment to handle this in an under developed country. I wouldn't take the chance.

But even here in the States I wouldn't recrop at 7 months old. I was just deal with what I have. In fact, I would still keep posting! Yes, it's not unusual to be posting at 7 months. Many post up to a year old! I'm sure others here will tell you the same thing. And they will give you more information about the posting methods since I haven't posted in many years. But I certainly wouldn't recrop. :nono:

3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I do know of a few Doberman’s that had such long crops the tips were always curling and after a year of taping the dog was recropped to shorten and they were successful. At 7 1/2 months I suggest to keep with posting at least until 12-14 months before doing that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Agree with the others to still try posting. Little tip do not leave them out for an hour up to 12 like you said. Only out long enough to clean air dry then right back up again. The longer the breaks then more chance of it just failing.

Any pics of this angel?

5. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It’s too early to determine if she needs a recrop. Most of us post past seven months as the puppies aren’t finished teething and you need to post past teething or you risk the ears falling anyway. This is especially true with a long crop as we usually post even longer. Time spent posting is determined by crop length and thickness of ear leather, but each dog is different on the time it takes to post. I had one done at 8 months and one done at 2 years.

If the tips are weak you need to corrective post with the backer rod method. 1/2” backer rod or 3/8” backer rod works the best as the tips need a narrower form to mold around. You need to push down on the posts as you pull the ear up to adhere it. The torque from this will help the ears stand

agreed a photo of the crop would help us to determine how to guide you from here as it’s hard to offer suggestions without seeing what you are dealing with.

6. Brevig

Sorry for the long delay, I waited until we went to the vet when I would need to take it off. Here are a few images of her with her wrap before I took it off.

As you can see her right ear tends to lean back while in the wrap (normally after 12-48 hours in the wrap as at first both are set evenly straight until it loosens). I've tried wrapping it tighter/looser, and it always is the right ear that bends back first. But as you can see in 1 of the photos it is straight (basically half the time it's straight, and the other half leaning back).

The other photos are around 15-20 min after removing the wrap and you can already see how the right ear bends at the end more, plus it leans back on top of that (leading it to flop over fully faster, I'll do another post shortly with an image from before).

I went to the vet today and told them what everyone said about waiting and the vet agreed we would wait 3 more months then decide.

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Attached Files:

7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You just need to keep posting and lose that center brace.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Brevig

Here is a photo of nearly 2 months ago (shortly before she was 6 months) after she had it off a couple of days because I was gone.

After this photo, a little over a month ago, I left her with a kennel who refused to take her with the wrap, so she was off it for nearly a week, and both the left ear was like the right ear in this photo, and the right ear was COMPLETELY flopped over like when I first bought her.

Attached Files:

9. Brevig

I did think maybe the brace is encourage the right ear to bend back more. The only thing is without the center brace it lasts less than half as long. Anyways, I can loose the brace and just wrap more often, do you think that will help them even out?

10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes that can be very important so they use their own muscle to move them around.
    They should last just as long without the brace as with it as long as you're seating them deep enough into the ear.

• Agree Agree x 1