Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

CROPPED EAR OUT OF BANDAGE

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Madison Thomas, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Madison Thomas

Madison Thomas New Member

Hello all,
    One of our dobie boys had his ears cropped exactly one week ago today, and while he was shaking his head, one of his ears slipped out of the bandaging from the vet. We are obviously going to try to take him to the vet tomorrow to get it re-wrapped professionally, but we aren’t sure what to do in the meantime. The stitches are still in and they are due for a check up on the 11th. Any advice would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hey there! Well, really, the incisions shouldn't be covered until stitches are out and incisions healed.

Experienced breeders and ear croppers have a couple ways they put the ears up while keeping the incisions open to air.

Many people, though, just leave the ears totally loose until incisions are healed.

So that tells me you could just leave the ear alone until you get a vet appointment in the next few days hopefully.

You could unwrap the other ear to let it air out and avoid infection of the incision.

Or, you could put the currently loose ear up in a backer-rod post with the standard two pieces of tape. I mean, the left ear is completely covered, so the right ear having just two pieces of tape would be better than that by comparison.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Since the stitches are still in Id leave them exposed to the air anyways to avoid infection. You can unwrap both and leave them hang. Many here will suggest you post yourself so that you don't have to wait for your appointment to have the vet do them. Vets tend to use too much tape. We have a number of great threads to show you just how to do that and if you ever have any questions there are a ton of members here to help!

How to Post Cropped Ears (Video)
    Doberman ear posting - improved method

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Madison Thomas

I had no idea that they could be left down before posting! Thank you so much for the info and links, I'll be sure to check them out :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Madison Thomas

Thank you so much for this info! I had no idea the ears could be left out to heal before posting. I guess I can stop freaking out so much about this incident now haha. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that it's better to leave the stitches/incisions open to the air since it can cause a lot of problems to have the tape over them until they're healed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rex_G60

Rex_G60 New Member

the vet i took my puppy to get his ears done has a very clever method, he puts a plastic insertion the same shape of the ear, this allowed the ear to be exposed to air and with in 1 week the stitches where dry, after that i was able to post his ears with no pain.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Sounds good! How did he make the plastic insert? Was there much work to make is custom-fit?