Cropped Ear Care

Hades28

Hi guys I'm kind of new here I needed some help with my puppies cropped ears, I had them cropped this Sunday and I want to know how exactly you guys cleaned them? I've seen using hydrogen peroxide but I've read in other places not to use that, what's the best thing to use to clean the ears?

Ddski5

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Most try not to clean it too much, only if it’s getting really nasty. Just warm soapy water if they absolutely have to be cleaned.
Let it scab over and let the wound healing do it’s job.

No hydrogen peroxide or antibiotic gel should be used at all.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
They can look really scabby and kinda oily but I never cleaned mine until it was time to post. Most of the "ick" was left over residue from tape residue when she had her ears up in her cup. That got cleaned up when it was time to post so not really a big deal to just let them be to air dry and heal. As long as they don't smell or are oozing anything. You can gently clean the inside of the ears with soapy slightly damp warm paper towel. Definitely NO hydrogen peroxide and no antibiotic gel as it can do more harm than good.

Throughout posting I used Chlorhexidine antispetic wipes for ear wax and any sores. Worked fantastic at keeping the ears clean and healing any red spots!

Hades28

They can look really scabby and kinda oily but I never cleaned mine until it was time to post. Most of the "ick" was left over residue from tape residue when she had her ears up in her cup. That got cleaned up when it was time to post so not really a big deal to just let them be to air dry and heal. As long as they don't smell or are oozing anything. You can gently clean the inside of the ears with soapy slightly damp warm paper towel. Definitely NO hydrogen peroxide and no antibiotic gel as it can do more harm than good.

Throughout posting I used Chlorhexidine antispetic wipes for ear wax and any sores. Worked fantastic at keeping the ears clean and healing any red spots!

Thank you I'm stupid I used hydrogen peroxide already they were really scabed up I won't be using that anymore

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Thank you I'm stupid I used hydrogen peroxide already they were really scabed up I won't be using that anymore
No you aren't! You are here asking questions and trying to learn. One time won't hurt. Repeatedly it will. Hydrogen peroxide bubbles and damages even healthy tissue. Stick with the chlorhexidine wipes.

Ddski5

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Review and research on this site on how to post your pup.

All the knowledge is here, just dig around and ask questions.

Much better if you do it vs relying on your vet.