1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Craigslist & adoption

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by Dragonborn, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dragonborn

Dragonborn Hot Topics Subscriber

I value the opinions u guys give me honestly. But the reason I ask is because I have been shopping for the "right" dog lately. Its been a year and two months since my bells left me and im ready for another. And today I happened across an ad for a 7 month old dobe. His ears are cropped and his family just does not have the resources to take care of him (or they just don't no hes going through a stage). I feel like I have been drilling this poor woman for the past two hours on his health, pedigree, and behavior LOL. Anyone have any experience with this kind of adoption? What are your views on adopting from craigslist?

• Like Like x 3
  2. BradysMom

BradysMom Hot Topics Subscriber

Both my pups I found on Craigslist. Both people "couldn't take care of" them anymore... Brady was 2 months and Rocky was 8 months...

Most ppl would probably say beware Bcuz you really don't know about their health issues and background. Ppl
    Lie, not every1 but depending how bad they want to rid themselves of the dog... Go with your gut.

So far I've been lucky with my two boys :) no complaints here

• Like Like x 4
  3. dh8

dh8 Hot Topics Subscriber

That the ad was on CL means nothing. If you feel good about the dog, go for it! It really is 99.8% what you do with the dog that makes the dog, regardless of everything else.

• Like Like x 4
  4. dh8

I've taken in dogs tied to a garbage dumpster and I've purchased pedigree show pups. There's never been a difference in how they behaved, how we treated them or how much we loved them.

Personally, I don't do "rehoming fees" where people want to recoup everything they can. Makes me suspicious if they stole or picked up the dog and are trying to make a quick buck and I don't want to make it easy for people to dump pups.

Go with your gut!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

The health can never be guaranteed on any dog, this boy needs a good home where someone understands him and bring him on, if you can help him then you should go for it

• Like Like x 4
  6. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I 100% agree,go with your gut.I very much see point here with the rehome fee.I would however offer another point of view.That fee may separate some who want a dog,maybe for less than honest intentions or just a lazy ass from the person who really wants a dog and is willing to invest the time and money to to make the dog all it can be.

Dragonborn I really hope this works for you.What has been her answers to your questions?
    Someone who really cares about where her dog ends up would be more than happy to answer all the questions you might have.From her perspective I would be suspicious of anyone inquiring about the dog that doesn't ask these questions.

• Like Like x 6
  7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I hope it works out for you - keep us posted!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dragonborn

oh my goodness we have both been writing paragraphs all day.. she asked me what my intention is with him.. is he going to be indoor/outdoor.. she doesn't want him to be bred.. hes good with kids and other dogs.. been around cats, does so so with them... his ears need re posted, one is falling, but the other is standing... does good around strangers, vet says hes healthy, soo much ive asked its nuts lol and shes been happy to answer all of them... shes even going to meet me half way because she lives two hours away from me. She has two very small dogs, and hes too rough when playing (bella was too, she wasn't allowed to play with the Italian greyhound of my friends)... its really been a good convo. She has the fee at 350$, says she spent 1200$ on him.. he looks a little euro to me, but it might just be the pictures. Ill post some when I get the chance. So busy today.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Personally I would make the two hour trek to see him where he's comfortable.He's still young,he probably won't act the same at a rest stop or strange park somewhere.
    It will also give you a good idea of the person trying to get rid of him;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. FredC

FredC Guest

Of course there could be many reasons why someone would post their dog up for adoption on CL.. Id be skeptical of several excuses being truthful and would certainly wonder about a dogs temperament. But in reality i think the big reason that people oppose Dogs being advertised on CL has more to do with who is looking for them opposed to who is unloading them.. You hear so many horror stories (probably perpetuated by an AR agenda) about people browsing CL for Bait Dogs etc, etc.. I personally don't really have a problem with anyone finding a dog on Craig's List if they are legitimately looking for a companion to share their lives with, and i couldnt imagine why on earth anyone else would have a problem with it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Dragonborn

Yes definitely! As a breeder yourself, is there any clues on his behavior that I should be looking for in particular when first meeting him? He's 7 months, so hes still got some puppy in him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dragonborn

Okay, if everything goes as planned with my schedule this weekend, we will meet him this sunday... and also she keeps lowering the price on me everytime we speak.. I think the price was just a bluff to get rid of bad attention if u catch my drift... Got a pic of him, not the best because it came off my cell, (still trying out this new touch screen laptop).... she said his one ear is now standing prior to the pic, but the other is not.... can I still save his ears?

photo.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  13. FredC

FredC Guest

He's still a baby I'm sure his ears are fixable, although it might take more work then normal...

A big concern for me aside from possible shyness would be if hes house trained.. if he isn't 100% housebroke by now i can tell you from experience you could be working that out for a long time..

Another deal breaker for me at this age would be Separation anxiety. Personally id rather see a dog in an adoptive situation like this is his own natural environment.. Taking a dog to neutral territory is really only beneficial if you are introducing one dog to another. Do you crate your dogs? has this dog been crate trained.. A dog this age is trainable but more diligence is certainly gonna be in order..

I personally wouldn't feel bad going into this situation with a bit of skepticism.. People don't ordinarily give up good dogs without a reason. Not to say that all people are deceptive its just something you need to be prepared for...

Take a ball or some other type of toy or tug.. How does the dog interact with these things? Does the dog pace incisively? How does he react when hes left alone in the house and thinks the owners have left the property? Shyness would be my biggest concern, that can and usually does lead to an unpredictable dog, IMO..

I know you dont know the answers to these questions and thats the point of the visit but those are some of the things id look for and ask about personally..

Frankly none of the possible issues i brought up would be deal breakers for me because of his age.. Now if he exhibits multiple issues or any one issue seems very extreme then id be nervous.
    ---------------
    eta: He sure does appear to be quite a looker and his head as best i can tell is to die for..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. FredC

FredC Guest

You know little things keep coming to mind... Being as he is only 7 months old i can tell you he is in that Puberty stage where he is testing his boundaries at every opportunity.. a lot of dogs find themselves being rehomed at this age because they are akin to teenagers trying to get away with anything and everything.. Its of my opinion that whatever problems he has if any can be corrected... Unless its a genetic trait..

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dragonborn

Thank u! Yes he is very good looking.

I no some answers already, he is crated at night time (but she does allow him on furniture, big no no in my house tho.. will have to be broke of that)

And she is giving him up because of several reasons, 1. He is too much for her to handle, she has admitted he is too much work for her. 2. He is way to rough with her little poms and he plays rough too... not mean towards them, and I no this because she sent me a pic not 10 minutes ago with the pom sleeping next to him real close.

And yes the separation anxiety does worry me too... I thought about that.. but was hoping since he is a bit younger, than it wouldn't be as bad... well I hope not :/

• Like Like x 3
  16. FredC

FredC Guest

Well from the sounds of things hes a perfectly normal doberman pup :).. i wouldn't suspect it will be to difficult to break him of getting on the furniture. lol but then i wouldnt know mine actually have been known to kick me off the furniture. :p

and again his ears are fixable.. i recall the story of Barron Nike Renewal who had a flop ear at a late age that Slobodan corrected and went on to be one of the most famous of all European Dobermann.

• Like Like x 8
  17. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

He's a cutie and yes, I agree with what Von said here. I do believe those ears are fixable at this age and they are standing, but just in the wrong position. Demon comes to mind since that's what his looked like, and after he was found it was great to see that his owners had them standing very nicely.

Getting him at this age might be a challenge, but you're experienced and I'm sure you can bring him around and have a well rounded dog when all is said and done. :)

• Like Like x 5
  18. dh8

He's a cutie!

I've taken in dogs at all ages and never had an issue house training anyone. Dogs learn quickly no matter what the age if you are attentive in training, dobermans especially. We continue to train for new things for as long as the dog enjoys it-usually well into their teens. I almost always find the adults pick up things more quickly than the energy bursting hormone filled pups.

We've also taken in dobies with floppy ear up to a year or so and done posting to correct as it helped them get adopted. I'm not a real posting expert and I've had really good success with it.

Did she give you an idea of what exercise she gives the dog and how often? I find all too often people plan on letting dogs into a yard to be plenty of exercise but it's rarely enough. Crazy as it sounds, I've met people who are so lazy they'd rather deal with dogs pooping in the house than walk them around the block. They still claim "they've done everything..." Everything except what the dog really needs. :confused:

One man I worked with had a huge problem because he planned on getting up at 8:30am for his early retirement but his young dog needed to go out at 8am. That is a no brainer to me but for this man it was a problem because he had planned his retirement for 8:30am. He really almost relinquished a 10-11 month old purebred otherwise well behaved dog because of this 30 minute difference. He seemed like a normal guy talking about a house training problem until I got the full story.

I bear these things in mind whenever evaluating what an owner says about their dog. I don't look for perfect behavior but to at least get a good sense of whether or not the pup can give you attention and do a few basic commands. If you get their attention, you can train them to do anything.

Like any other pup eval-Do they seem friendly? It's ok if they jump at an unexpected loud noise but can they recover quickly? Will they drop a toy or are you able to take it from them without issue? Can they take treats from you gently? Can you redirect them from strangers or other animals? Can you touch him all over without him showing a bad reaction or seeming to be in pain?

You'll hit normal teen pup issues but he's so young it's almost hard for him to have any real behavior problems yet. :)

• Like Like x 4
  19. BradysMom

BradysMom Hot Topics Subscriber

What a handsome boy :) he looks like a sweetie pie!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What a nice boy! Best of luck with your meeting :)

• Like Like x 2