Copperhead?

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Yeah, so weedeating this weekend and I turn to go to the other side of the yard and I see Asshat running, swinging his head like he does when we play tug. Hot and tired, I am thinking that I just moved the tug rope and that thing is much smaller in Ragnar’s mouth is more slender. So I drop the weed eater, hound him down to find what looks like a copperhead in his mouth still squirming around.

Kinda still fresh and bleeding, don’t know if I got it with the weed eater or Asshat mangled it? Upon further inspection, luckily he did not get bitten.

84A0AC5C-3B4B-473F-9B4E-6B504555F85D.jpeg 26475FE3-E76B-4D71-B192-D382F504EEA3.jpeg

Yeah, so weedeating this weekend and I turn to go to the other side of the yard and I see Asshat running, swinging his head like he does when we play tug. Hot and tired, I am thinking that I just moved the tug rope and that thing is much smaller in Ragnar’s mouth is more slender. So I drop the weed eater, hound him down to find what looks like a copperhead in his mouth still squirming around.

Kinda still fresh and bleeding, don’t know if I got it with the weed eater or Asshat mangled it? Upon further inspection, luckily he did not get bitten.

View attachment 100953 View attachment 100954
That is my biggest fear here with the Eastern Diamondbacks and Pygmy rattlers. Check with your Vet to make sure he carries antivenin for the Copperheads as well as other indigenous venomous snakes in your area.

Im not sure what kind of snake that is but it doesn’t look like the copperheads I have seen. They have a much different pattern. Either way, could definitely be venomous. Good thing you were out there with him. Thats one thing I am thankful about in my area. We certainly don't have a lot to worry about in terms of venomous snakes. Im a snake lover, but cant say would love walking into a rattler XD

Definitely not a copperhead, Lizbeli is right the pattern doesn’t match that of a copperhead. Not sure what kind of snake it is. Generally, venomous snakes have thin, black vertical pupils and non venomous snakes have rounded pupils. Usually venomous snakes also have a more triangular shaped head, too. I’d freak if I saw that near my dog.

Yeah, y’all are right...I guess I was thinking Copperhead cause it had that reddish color.

Eyes are rounded so prob non venemous. Thankfully so because the way asshat goes after wasp and bugs, he prob went after that snake with no caution.

Always have to keep eyes on him.

This is so totally disgusting! He had it in his mouth? Did his teeth tear it open? Shaking it like a tug? :pullhair:

Tell me he doesn’t smell like a yucky snake! Did you bathe him anyway?

I'm with Kaiser too since I'm terrified of snakes. I'm glad he didn't get bit anyway.

Love them or hate them snakes play an important part of our ecosystem if they are not an
invasive species and they can be relocated all the better this snake was most likely there because he was on the trail of food in the area

I love snakes.

They are very important, and even venemous ones would much rather avoid you than have a confrontation. Other than a coral snake which is obvious anyway by its colors, all venemous snakes will have triangular wedge shaped heads and elliptical cat like eyes. Knowing these two things would save countless lives by both snakes and people.

One morning I was awoken to the dogs barking and my boyfriend being exclamatory. I stumble out into the living room to see all four crouched behind the recliner making all kinds of noise about a snake by the bay window. I discovered it was just a corn snake, picked him up and let him outside but it was a funny sight. I’m also glad that they had a cautionary response rather than attack.

This is so totally disgusting! He had it in his mouth? Did his teeth tear it open? Shaking it like a tug? :pullhair:

Tell me he doesn’t smell like a yucky snake! Did you bathe him anyway?
No, he held it between his paws like a cat with a ball of yarn.

My previous boy would shake snakes to death and fling them through the air. Fortunately I never had one fly my direction. We were said to not have venomous ones in the immediate region.

I see Asshat running, swinging his head like he does when we play tug

Oh yeah that would be something I would be freaking out about if I saw Buddy doing that with a snake! I'm not afraid of snakes but some of the ones that we have here are Bull snakes and quite large! I've never had the opportunity to see what Buddy would do with one. Most of the time, I find them when I'm by myself. But I know there was one time that Kali was nearby and she was freaked out by the sound of it hissing. It doesn't really hiss like a rattler but it sounds like one. It just blows in and out of its mouth or nose and makes this weird rattling sound. Kali was really keeping her distance and I realized that she was afraid. And I was glad! That'll keep her away from anything like that!

Back