1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Contacting a breeder

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Mnd_00, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Mnd_00

Mnd_00 New Member

I have narrowed down buying a Doberman puppy from 2 breeders. I have emailed both and no response. Is it better to call? Also, the one Breeder only has their email listed for contact; no phone number. I’m not looking to buy a puppy until after May of 2018, but I would like to be put on a wait list...I’m getting somewhat frustrated by the lack of response. And these 2 breeders look like the only 2 reputable breeders in my area...

2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

If you're comfortable sharing, folks on here can give you a general idea of their reputation, probably.

Also, when I contacted breeders, I included a short description of what I planed to do with my puppy, what I was going to feed, my history with dogs, etc., in a brief but detailed manner to set my request apart and require legit consideration. And I did not discuss price in my initial contact.

It's good your doing your legwork now and have plenty of time of find the right puppy for you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mnd_00

Mnd_00 New Member

I am considering Touchstone Dobermans and Merrimac Dobermans. I’d be open to finding out if there are other reputable breeders in the Houston area:)

4. LifeofRubie

Thanks! Both of these look pretty legit and promising and are listed on the DPCA website - good! Merrimac has a good questionnaire on their site - did you fill that out when you contacted them?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mnd_00

Mnd_00 New Member

I haven’t...I guess I didn’t see that...I will do that! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Good luck! Filling out the application should help! Maybe send a follow up email in a week or two if you don't hear back just to show that you are determined. Almost feels like applying for a job, lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mnd_00

Mnd_00 New Member

Thank you for the info!! It definitely helps!:)

8. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Be patient. Many breeders are busy showing, training, trialing their dogs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mnd_00

Mnd_00 New Member

Any idea on how long it could take before they get back with me? I can’t get a puppy until after May...but I do want to get on a waiting list:)

10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It could take a while - perhaps a few weeks, depending on what's going on with them. Sometimes you have to be on a waiting list for a year or more for a reputable breeder so it's good you're doing your research now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mnd_00

Mnd_00 New Member

Ok. Good to know! Thank you:thumbsup2:

12. LifeofRubie

Also, if you go to this page (the DPCA breeder referral guide - click "accept" at the bottom of the page), you might be able to find some other breeders close-ish to you. None show up for Houston but there are a ton listed for Texas, overall. The two you mentioned are on there, too.

13. Mnd_00

Mnd_00 New Member

Yes, I have done that. Thank you though! Touchstone is closest to me...maybe 20 min away:) *extremely convenient* lol

• Like Like x 3