Conformation Questions

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
At age 2 1/2, I think we have the finished product. One day I'll learn to stack her and get her tail up, but this is just a nice natural stance. Her neck is probably thicker than normal because she hangs on the rope so much, and I wasn't at ground level so her legs look a bit shorter. I need to learn to get her on a string lead and stack her up!

fullsizeoutput_501.jpeg

Her neck is probably thicker than normal because she hangs on the rope so much, and I wasn't at ground level so her legs look a bit shorter. I need to learn to get her on a string lead and stack her up!
You'd be amazed how much longer you can make those necks look with the right positioning. I didn't really know how to accomplish that but our trainer showed us how. She's a really nice looking girl!

You'd be amazed how much longer you can make those necks look with the right positioning. I didn't really know how to accomplish that but our trainer showed us how. She's a really nice looking girl!
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how that works but I know just looking at Ripley in day-to-day life and in the conformation ring, her neck magically changes! I don't know much about photography, but just enough to know that looking down on the subject, even from several feet away presents a different look than if you are at ground level. Thank you for your compliment!

I know just looking at Ripley in day-to-day life and in the conformation ring, her neck magically changes!
Isn't it crazy how its the same neck?! lol There are two keys for it. Good bait/alertness and teaching them to lift themselves up into that front and stand up on their toes. They are naturally front forward heavy, so in day to day they can look short necked and heavy. Ever see how beautiful our guys look when something really grabs their attention? Thats the look you have to train them for. Stacking on a fit bone has helped a lot for that. Not only has it helped her learn to balance herself in the front on something wobbly, but it also has tightened up her feet a bit!

Asha has a very nice smooth topline. She looks proportionately square. She's more Euro bred, yea? I love her feet! Good tight feet is something that seems to be lacking a lot with Euros.

Stacking on a fit bone has helped a lot for that. Not only has it helped her learn to balance herself in the front on something wobbly, but it also has tightened up her feet a bit!
I was going to ask where you got that when I saw it in another photo?

I was going to ask where you got that when I saw it in another photo?
I ordered mine on Amazon. Sometimes you can find vendors doing deals on the Fitpaws(?) brand. I got tired waiting around for one so ordered it there.

Here is a non-amazon link for a little more:

Ok you two Admins, maybe we should move this convo to the Conformation Thread? I'd like to ask more... there's a little yapping in my tiny kennel club here about doing some conformation training ... Like I needed something else to do :facepalm::whistle:

Thanks for moving this - we were getting way off topic for the photo of the day... :ot:

I suppose if I looked on the AKC website - would I find a set pattern for the conformation class? It's been a long time since I saw one in person - seems they went around and also at a diagonal? Do they learn that the (what I call the string leash) show lead means this behavior - I know Asha has learned that her different leashes mean different things.

One question I have is about tickling the tail to make it go up. If I do this Asha clamps it down. Is there a right & wrong way to tickle? :scratch:

And when you were teaching Ripley to stand for exam and she wanted to squirm away (I know, that was a long time ago) do you just repeat "stand" and they eventually get use to it?

What I'm hoping to do in our kennel club is have this kind of like an obedience class, but just trotting around with other dogs/handlers, stopping with a stack and then having them touched and teeth looked at. Very informal, I think half the dogs in our club are not registered and most are altered and no one is serious about showing. I just think it would be a good exercise for dogs & handlers.

Some owner & handlers shave the underside of the tail. That way just the slightest touch makes them put it up. I believe because it makes it kind of bristled so it sort of tickles.

I'm glad this was split off to it's own thread too since it's good discussion that deserves it's own thread.

would I find a set pattern for the conformation class? It's been a long time since I saw one in person - seems they went around and also at a diagonal?
That's the most common. But a judge can also ask for a down and back from the ring wall to the other ring wall, an L or a triangle. There was ONE AKC judge that asked Derek to do a triangle since we have been showing. It is very rare but can happen. I recommend watching the DPCA Nationals on AKC.tv to see exactly what is done where. You will start getting a sense for the routine.

Do they learn that the (what I call the string leash) show lead means this behavior - I know Asha has learned that her different leashes mean different things.
Oh, definitely. However Ripley will free stack everywhere at home because it is always highly praised. The most common area is the kitchen, hoping for some dinner scraps 😁

One question I have is about tickling the tail to make it go up. If I do this Asha clamps it down. Is there a right & wrong way to tickle?
Just do this all the time at home so she gets comfortable with it. She probably isn't used to being touched there. Massaging and tickling it whenever you can will help. You can praise and give bait when you do. She will eventually relax and put it up. The underside of the tail is clipped to clean up the look like Pam mentioned but I think a lot of it is them getting comfortable with being touched there.

And when you were teaching Ripley to stand for exam and she wanted to squirm away (I know, that was a long time ago) do you just repeat "stand" and they eventually get use to it?
If she shied away, he would just reset her and repeat stay. The "judge" would touch her again for a moment and she would get rewarded for staying. Gradually increase the pressure from the judge and duration she had to hold her stay. During showing, to keep her from actually moving a trick was to put his leg up against her so she would feel that and not be able to move much away from the judge. The part of the body that usually gets them for moving is the rear. Just like the reaction with clamping that tail 😉

What I'm hoping to do in our kennel club is have this kind of like an obedience class, but just trotting around with other dogs/handlers, stopping with a stack and then having them touched and teeth looked at.
That'll be fun!! It actually helps A TON with so many things. CGC, Vet, Conformation etc ... It's good for them to have a job with people and other dogs in the ring. Maybe you guys could one day form a UKC club and have shows 😁😁

Last edited:
@Rits that's a lot of good info in your post - Thank You!

@JanS - how cool is that? Our club is really small, not sure we could get that all together, but so great that you all did! I hope to see your girl showing or doing sports soon - sounds like you have a great trainer to work with.

I hope to see your girl showing or doing sports soon - sounds like you have a great trainer to work with.
She will definitely be there and at the fall show I go to every year. Our trainer is going to take her in the ring for the July shows but she can't be at the fall show since she's going to the Beauceron specialty out east at the same time as the fall show. I really don't do a great job out in the ring anymore (not that I ever did great LOL) since I just can't run fast enough to get that animation they need.

Back