1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Completely Heart Broken

Discussion in 'Memorials' started by Hobie1, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Hobie1

Hobie1 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    New member here, and needed to tell about the passing of my 4yr old male this past Wednesday. He was diagnosed with large mast cell cancer on Aug. 8th, and he told us it was his time this past week. Obviously this was one of the hardest decision my family had to make but we knew we did the right thing.
    We are having a hard time dealing with his absence and would like to start doing some research into adding another family member. I'm located in Pa, and would like any referrals of reputable breeders in the area if possible.
    Thank you!

• Empathetic Empathetic x 12
  2. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

I am so sorry for your loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

So sorry to hear about your boys passing :sorrow: it's so difficult to let them go...

You can start with https://www.dpca.org/ breeder referral. Still check on them and ask questions to make sure they're a reputable breeder (we will all help!) or find a Doberman specific rescue who will help you find the right dog for your family and lifestyle!

Do NOT buy a puppy from the Amish (not sure what part of PA you're in).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Hobie1

Hobie1 New Member

Thank you both!
    No rush, want to do as much research as possible.
    Yes I'm aware of Amish/Lancaster puppies.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry. :( If you think it might help you cope with the grief we do have a memorial section where you are free to post a thread about your boy. Memorials

It is tough and I have no doubt you did make the right decision, you set him free. RIP beautiful boy! :sorrow:

As far as your next pup, I agree DPCA is a great place to start.

Good for you! Research, research research! Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome to DCF.

I am so very sorry for your loss and having to make that tough decision to let them go but that was the last courageous loving reward you could give him.
    RIP sweet boy. Fly free!!

7. joe coles

joe coles Active Member

Sorry for such a young dog to pass. I understand your pain very well but it will subside and be replaced
    by good memories and a place in your heart where he will remain forever.
    I suggest you wait some time before adding a pup, I think 6 to 8 months isd a reasonable time
    for researching about breeders and also to consider a rescue Dobermann.
    I understand that a rescue dog comes without guarantees but reputable breeders have only
    replacement guarantees not a guarantee that your purchased pup lives a long healthy life.
    The breed has been crippled for many years by "reputable" breeders who refused to bring in "outside"
    blood lines for a stronger possibility of health! Instead their preference to maintain their "red names" (champion names) on the pedigree.

The chances of finding a rescue pup is actually pretty good and you would become a champion of Dobermanns!

I'll help locate if you decide to try and adopt. Be patient and visiting a breeder gives you a leg up on knowledge.
    You don't need to super experienced on pedigrees or showing or training to decide if the folks involved a decent people
    who care very much about their dogs.
    best to you...............

8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( We all feel your pain. I hope someday another will help heal your heart. We are here for you to help.

RIP :sorrow:

9. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My deepest condolences to you. I’m so very sorry :sorrow:

10. brodie

brodie Novitiate

So sorry for your loss. Little history. I too am a new member. 05-17-18 we had to say good bye to Jaxon our friend and companion of only two and a half years, he was a rescue. probably 8 or so years old. Healthy as could be one day and gone the next. It has been so very hard , he was my best friend. We didn't know at the time, but my new best friend to be was born 05-11-18. He has been with us since 8 weeks and even though I see Jax every time I look at him he has helped us heal more than I can say. Point is you get that new guy or gal whenever you think your ready. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  11. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I am so very sorry for your loss!!

What part of PA are you in? I'm also in PA! I can give you some info on a breeder I am considering for a future pup. Keep in mind too though, many good breeders have a waiting list, so even if you decide now to get a puppy, you may be waiting several months or more.

I am also working with a local doberman rescue. We have 3 lovely males right now looking for their forever homes! Let me know if you would consider a rescue and I'll give you more info!

Lastly, welcome to DCF!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

So sorry to hear of your loss! Boy, that's go to be rough!

13. Hobie1

Hobie1 New Member

Everyone!
    Thank you for all the sweet words. They really mean a lot to me. :)
    I had a family member of a dear friend recommend "Von Schwarz Dobermans" in Pittsburg Pa.
    Any thoughts?????

14. Oh Little Oji

Have read about them, and they have been discussed here. I always mix them up with, I think it's, Von Schlottke. I think that last one had some rough times and controversy. But nevermind that.

Since activity slows way down on here at night, I know you'll get a lot more response tomorrow. @MischasMomma , you up? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. MischasMomma

Von Schwartz is good. That is who I was going to reccomend! Katie is an amazing person with a heart of gold and a true passion for doberman! She took the time to answer many many questions for me, even knowing I wasnt in the market to add a puppy for several years. Not something you find in many breeders. I'm friends with several people who own dogs from her, and they are all very happy and have beautiful well mannered dogs!

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Oh Little Oji

Hmm. I'm going to pull up their website now. Always trying to be prepared for the purchase of my next Doberman (shhh, or dog).

• Like Like x 1
  17. MischasMomma

Orcas litter was JUST born Friday I think it was! Shes very active on facebook- not positive how up to date the website is honestly. I think at least last time I looked Orcas litter was in coming soon. Of course the puppies started coming the same time she was packing up to travel for an IPO competition! I remember reading about her crazy weekend this morning!

• Like Like x 1
  18. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm so sorry for your loss and we all understand how devastating it is. :sorrow: