1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Collars

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by hunterdobie, Oct 26, 2019.

1. hunterdobie

hunterdobie Jr Member

Hello,

My puppy is turning 5 months in a few days and I'm just wondering about good collars to use for training and to help stop his pulling when we go on walks? I don't know much about the different kinds or at what age they're most appropriate and how often to use them so I'm just trying to get more of an idea right now.

Any links to good collars would be highly appreciated too!

Thank you very much :'D

2. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Well, I found the prong collar most useful for stopping pulling, but I didn't start my girl until about 10 months. 5 months may be a little early in development and training levels but others will soon come along with good advice. One thing I did try, and found to be not the way to go, was a halter style collar. While it gave good control of an excitable pup it wasn't a good training tool and made my dog really miserable wearing it. I don't think it is good with most Dobies. The early days of training was just using pressure and release with a flat collar, making sure my pup understood what was required even if the obedience levels were pretty scratchy sometimes!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Try using a slip lead collar at that age. However, training a good heel will help with this problem. Introduce a prong collar in a few months.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

If using it just for going on a walk I would say prong collar would do fine. Let the dog correct it self. I wouldnt use it for other training until your dog was 8-9 months of age.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hunterdobie

hunterdobie Jr Member

Ah I just looked into them and they're illegal to use in my state, as are ecollars :thumbdown:

• Wow x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  6. My Gal Gretel

My Gal Gretel Hot Topics Subscriber

Gretel will be 7 months this week, and I’m using a slip lead collar/leash for walks. It’s helped to teach her not to pull more than snapping a flat collar did. Of course, if she starts rebelling, I’ll graduate to a prong collar, but so far, so good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Doberman Gang

You will n
    you will need to teach leash pressure work then. Teaches the dog to give to pressure on the leash

• Like Like x 1
  8. hunterdobie

hunterdobie Jr Member

Any opinions on martingale collars?

9. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

I like martingale collars. I prefer the ones that have a chain instead of nylon where the leash attaches. They are great because once its fitted properly the dog cant slip out of the collar. I also believe it keeps pressure more uniform around the dogs neck when he pull as opposed to a flat collar.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Illegal?

Are you in an area in which it would be noticed if you used the prong collar?

Not encouraging to break the law, but the prong collar had a dramatic affect on leash pulling with Ragnar.

If I were in such an isolated area......

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doberman Gang

I know prong collars and ecollars are illegal I. Germany but trainers there still use the hidden ones in training.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hunterdobie

hunterdobie Jr Member

If I'm able to get ahold of one I might just try using it anyway, I could use it around our property and at quiet parks so it might be worth getting ahold of!

13. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I didn't know that prong collars and e collars were illegal in Victoria! Bummer! This is a link you might find useful. I didn't get my prong collar from them but read a lot of reviews that sounded as if they took good care to make sure you knew how to use a prong collar properly, and gave good back up support. I was under the impression that the company was in Vic, but may be wrong.
    SHOP - Training Collars - Prong Collars - K9 PRO
    I notice that they sell the covers as well, which makes it much better out in public.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jilly Ruby Jane

Jilly Ruby Jane Novitiate

I tried Country Brook Petz Martingale Heavy Duty Nylon Collar and Max and Neo Stainless Steel Chain Martingale Collar before (you can find their on Amazon). They are good but I feel Country Brook Petz Martingale Heavy Duty Nylon Collar is better and you can change the size of the collar to fit your dog, you can try and find more about it.