Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Collars and Rough Play

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Ravenbird, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Thought I'd pass this story along just for awareness of how Sh!t can happen.

Many years ago my Doberman, Dietrich, had a dog-friend come over and they were playing in the yard. No one was watching closely as they played frequently together, tussling, running, playing like good dogs do. Suddenly there was screeching and howling and it looked like Dietrich had pinned the buddy down on the ground by the neck. I yelled at her but they both stayed in that position, both of them making ungodly noises. Running to break up what I thought was a dog fight I find that Dietrich had a long canine stuck in a hole of the collar of the other dog. The other dog had flipped over, essentially twisting the collar to a tightened noose. My dog let me get her tooth out of the collar hole, which freed up and untwisted so the other dog quit choking. The other dog was screaming and thrashing while I was struggling to free them both - it was a 10 second nightmare. If we hadn't been there I'm sure it would have choked to death or Dietrich would have had her tooth yanked out.

Just food for thought -

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Wow x 2
  2. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Our dogs never have collars on at home unless Rubie is wearing her eCollar outside. Too many risks, even outside of interactions with another dog in the house!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. crypticintent

crypticintent Hot Topics Subscriber

Ezri is also typically naked. Harnesses and collars are for outside of the house while on leash..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Just reading that made my heart race...UGH. I'm glad it didn't turn into a worse case situation. Not the first time I have heard about such a nightmare...and a couple didn't have a good ending.

Boys are too.
    For that "I hope this never happens ..but just in case it does...event.
    Invest in some blunt end trauma shears that will cut thru anything short of titanium.

We have several pair in different spots, garden shed, hanging right next to front door, our vehicles and we carry a pair with us when we are out with the boys.

5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@WiglWerm and I both had that situation occur with our dobes. I can’t remember which thread it’s posted in but all I can say is thank god I had my knife and was there to keep them from choking to death. Now no collars on them except e collars and prong collars when they are working. Off lead play off our property I remove the prong but leave on e collar as it’s my ability to reach out and touch them from a distance. They don’t wrestle with each other when off lead outside of our property.

Learned my lesson the hard and fearful way.:eek:
    I could use that 10yrs it took off my life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brioddy

Brioddy Active Member

Mine never wear collars unless we are out and about, and that doesn’t involve rough housing. I’ve had people ask me why I don’t keep collars on them constantly like many other people do, and now that I recall as a kid my parents kept collars on our dogs all the time. But I can only imagine how uncomfortable it has to be without a break, and of course for the aforementioned reasons. People that visit ask (because I let my dogs run free around my property supervised) if I’m ever worried about them running off. Uhh no, I can’t even pee without them..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, we have talked about this before. It can be a dangerous situation. And something that most people don't even think about. Until it happens. Even I keep a breakaway cat collar on Kali for the same reason. I have found her collar outside a couple of times and I'm sure it was when they were chasing each other and jostling. I don't have to worry about Kali catching on Buddy. ;) But if I had two Dobermans, it would be an issue that I'd have to address. Trying to free two 80 lb Dobermans caught in a collar, frightened and screaming, stops my heart just thinking about it. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

We never have any choker collars on at home and for sure while in play. No collar that you would have to slip on and off over their heads.
    We do keep flat collars on them that have a quick release.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Both dogs in my event had flat buckle collars, no quick release. But after dealing with the situation, I still to this day would rather have no collar at all during play with another dog!