Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Collar/harness worries

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Cpacella, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Cpacella

Cpacella New Member

My puppy is almost 11 weeks old. I have been using a flat collar that snaps together. He was in a size small, was running for something and when the tension hit the collar, it snapped. He is now on medium size flat collar. The problem is now he is starting to pull. I’ve been training him quite a bit... but it’s a process. The problem is, I live on a lake and he has starting rushing toward the water. I’m afraid this collar will break like the old and I’m scared. I tried a hardness, but can’t get one to fit properly. He has a box on his head due to cropping, so I need a step in harness or a collar with a fastener because putting them over his head is a nightmare. Please help me. I don’t want him to get away.

2. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

Was it a break away collar? Our guys flat collar has never come undone. I would shop around for something more sturdy or that can't come undone.

A harness encouraged pulling in our guy but it seems everyone has different experiences. For us we use training, training, training, and once we thought he was big enough we started using the prong. Obviously at 11 weeks we weren't using the prong. There are many videos online on how to work on leash pulling such as rewarding when they leave the leash lose.

Best of luck!

3. Cpacella

Cpacella New Member

It wasn’t supposed to be break away... it just broke. Now I am terrified that this one will. If it breaks... he could stumble downhill and into the water. It out a terrible fear factor in me.

4. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Puppy Collar

Get one of these it won’t break. Also work on the dogs pulling by training. @Doberman Gang probably could offer some advice on that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

Have you thought about getting one that is like a regular belt like the one pictured below? Something in that style? I would research non slip collars online too.

Im not sure if you are always outside with him as well but we stay outside with our guy too. Maybe in your training you work on recall when he's tied up as well just in case there was an emergency and he got away from you.

We have always used a 1+ inch flat nylon collar as his go to, and then we have others specific for when we are training. Honestly when our guy was learning how to be on a lead when I was outside gardening he gave himself a couple good tugs and the collar didn't move. I'd just research the collar before you buy one and make sure he isn't outside without supervision. Screenshot_20190614-145819_Chrome.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cpacella

Cpacella New Member

Never never outside without supervision. I have been working on recall at least 3x day. I only got him a week ago. I don’t have the collar on him in the house, so if I have to rush to take him outside for emergency potty break, it would be more difficult to put this collar on. He just started pulling/ being stubborn in the last couple days. I don’t want to hurt his neck...

7. Cpacella

Cpacella New Member

What are your thoughts on a martingale collar?

8. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

You have a lot of options. I like martingale collars. I have not used one on such a young puppy before but I imagine as long as it is fitted correctly and only worn under supervision it would be fine.

Leather is obviously very strong and buckle collars are stronger than clips IMO. If you are really concerned get a small leather buckle collar. Nylon is strong too but you need a good clip. I usually buy collars with metal clips instead of the plastic stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Buckle collar of either good strong leather or what I prefer a1” biothane collar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Yea I agree get a leather collar if you want strong and are worried about it breaking. Also I honestly recommend rolled leather as it is better on the fur under the neck too.

11. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

would highly recommend an easy walk harness! i used it on my boy and it's definitely done wonders

12. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I love all of the easy walk harness and easy walk head halter people. Hope they realize why those tools work? It is not some mystery of magic, these devices work because they cause discomfort or pain if the dog lunges or pulls. I would not use these on a puppy, the head halter can twist the head around and could cause more damage than a dog getting choked by a flat collar. The harness puts unnecessary pressure across the shoulders and upper legs, definitely don’t want that while a puppy is still in the growing stage.
    People just need to teach proper leash manors, it is a training process that will take some time with a young dog. I know I always preach about being the most fun thing when you go out with your dog. This isn’t just about training for competition, this is about having your dog in tune with you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2