Cold weather potty training???

bruno123

Lurking Member
I am from Michigan and am getting a new Doberman puppy. Will it be too cold to take him out for potty and exercise?

No, but pay attention to how long you keep him out for. Dobermans do not have an undercoat, and can get cold easily. Puppies especially. I would start him wearing a coat. He should wear a coat if outside more than 10 minutes if it's 25 degrees out anyway, and I know in Michigan, it will be 25 degrees out often this season! When they are getting hypothermia, they don't move....so you will see a dog just stay still as if in a trance...also, he will pick his feet up when they are getting too cold. Not to scare you, but just be careful with the new baby, and ENJOY!!!!
Welcome and look forward to photos!!!!!

I live in Rhode Island but I got my boy in February which is awfully cold for us. I found that potty training stunk for us humans standing out there. But once the pup realizes he can go inside immediately after he pees then they tend to go quickly.

Definitely invest in a few different coats or even a fleece sweater if you plan to be out for a while. I find that my boy is a bit more sensitive to the elements than my previous dogs. Once he is full grown you can invest in something thats good quality. I really like Voyagers Canine on Etsy. I have a jacket from them thats going on its third season.

I found potty training in the winter (the night times especially) went really fast. In the day if it was cold and sunny she would be happy to play. I only used a jacket if we were going to be standing still in the cold (like our puppy class)

I found potty training in the winter (the night times especially) went really fast. In the day if it was cold and sunny she would be happy to play. I only used a jacket if we were going to be standing still in the cold (like our puppy class)
Thank you! That is encouraging!

I live in Rhode Island but I got my boy in February which is awfully cold for us. I found that potty training stunk for us humans standing out there. But once the pup realizes he can go inside immediately after he pees then they tend to go quickly.

Definitely invest in a few different coats or even a fleece sweater if you plan to be out for a while. I find that my boy is a bit more sensitive to the elements than my previous dogs. Once he is full grown you can invest in something thats good quality. I really like Voyagers Canine on Etsy. I have a jacket from them thats going on its third season.
Thank you!

No, but pay attention to how long you keep him out for. Dobermans do not have an undercoat, and can get cold easily. Puppies especially. I would start him wearing a coat. He should wear a coat if outside more than 10 minutes if it's 25 degrees out anyway, and I know in Michigan, it will be 25 degrees out often this season! When they are getting hypothermia, they don't move....so you will see a dog just stay still as if in a trance...also, he will pick his feet up when they are getting too cold. Not to scare you, but just be careful with the new baby, and ENJOY!!!!
Welcome and look forward to photos!!!!!
Thank you!

I agree with getting him used to wearing a coat. Kaiser doesn't wear his clothes very often because we keep him active enough outside, but really bitter temperatures (like a polar vortex!) will warrant taking precautions even for a 'short' outing like going potty. I wish I would have taught him how to wear booties as a puppy so that they are not averse to those things when they grow up.

I agree with getting him used to wearing a coat. Kaiser doesn't wear his clothes very often because we keep him active enough outside, but really bitter temperatures (like a polar vortex!) will warrant taking precautions even for a 'short' outing like going potty. I wish I would have taught him how to wear booties as a puppy so that they are not averse to those things when they grow up.
Thank you!

Back