1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Cod liver oil

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Ddski5, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My wife ordered some Castor oil but instead received cod liver oil. She reordered for Castor oil but now we are stuck with a bottle of cod liver oil capsules.

I did a search if beneficial for Dobermans and really did not find any specifics.

What are your thoughts for giving cod liver oil? Good for Dobermans? Benefits? How much to give if feeding kibble?
    1698E1D5-7ED5-4A04-85C6-3BB79AAA7534.jpeg
    D345B6AC-9F6F-45AC-823A-4D2929BB6D4D.jpeg

2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't have an answer for you but found it interesting that its a 'product of China, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland AND the good ole U.S of A! Wow. How in the world??

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I have friends who give their dogs CLO to keep their coats nice and shiny/glossy (1 tablet every other day) with no problems.

I’ve never given it to my dogs. I learnt that CLO is high in vitamins A & D. So too much and/or too often could become a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I'd say it's better for the humans to pop one of these every few days. I take CLO and a separate Vit D as we need way more D than is provided in the CLO. Vit A is great for skin, it's the basis for retinol and is an antioxidant. I like that it is D3 instead of the other variants. Since we're not in tropical parts of the world, I do believe we need supplementing of that.

I have wondered about sun exposure and vit D generation in dogs because I assume their fur hinders the absorption, but haven't researched it. Kaiser gets Krill Oil when his protein is not fish.