Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Coconut oil for Dogs

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by Judith, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Liberty & Justice

Liberty & Justice Formerly Sophia's Justice Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh that's a great idea, thanks Judith, I' m going to go and get some tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I've been using it myself for years. Also always Organic. I buy mine from Trader Joe's. It's a wonderful anti inflamatory. Great for tummies and allergies. I do use it synergistically with liquid fish oil ( I actually give 1800mg if O3's) and it's awesome!

• Like Like x 2
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I hate coconuts.........:( But this information seems so encouraging! I may give it a whirl~

• Like Like x 1
  4. Asteria

Asteria Formerly Luca & Co Hot Topics Subscriber

Of course I am a research kind of person. I like to read a lot from various reliable sources and I did that. Annnddd then I went out and got some. I am not going to give it to Luca orally but I have been doing a small rub on his coat and I can tell a difference. He dosent look greasy at all. He does not have a bad smell but this gives a nice freshen up smell anyways :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

Glad you have given it a try, it is amazing on their coats and skin no more flaking and shedding, you may one day try it orally as it is so good for them and naturel

6. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I use it orally and have the same results, luca0829. Seriously awesome stuff!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Asteria

How much do you use orally on yourself? I might try it on me first orally.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

When Raven was having bad poops I use to rub this stuff around his bum bum. No more smelly butt. I don't give it orally as much as I should.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Asteria

I have been using this myself now. It didn't work out for Luca but I put it on dry spots on my skin and its really helped. As a health care professional I am always washing my hands and I have never found anything that really solved the dry cracked hands I got but I love this!!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

luca I use this all the time on my own skin it is fantastic, I cannot find anything bad about coconut oil, after showering rub it on your skin before you dry yourself, it locks the moisture into your skin

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Hot Topics Subscriber

"I'm not ready to budge at the moment so don't ask". Happy dog there :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. RobbyDobie

RobbyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ever since a very wise person on this forum recommended it to us when Robby was having his GI issues, he has it added to his meal - organic coconut oil -- and since then -- since that DAY 1 of first use - (and eliminating chicken and eggs since he allergic!!) he has had NORMAL stools. Every day . It is wonderful and I will continue to keep a steady supply. It also has improved his coat, along with a bit of salmon oil. The organic coconut oil is amazing!

At his daycare, one of the girls said her mother used to add it to some of their meals growing up -- since Robby's mom also has a sensitive tummy she has been adding it to some of her meals and it has helped me too! LOL.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Lucifer

Lucifer Hot Topics Subscriber

Excellent I'll av to try this. Thanks

14. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

You can start off with a lesser amount to get them used to it for a few days. We melt it and just pour it on their food. In the summer it will turn liquid anyway at 75-76deg. Our boys also will lick it off the spoon!
    If you have a Costco's check and see if they have it. Its Carrington Farms Brand. It is USDA Certified Organic 54oz I think it was like $16.
    You can also look into Krill Oil which is better than the Fish Oil. If you do give the pills of Fish Oil make sure on the label where it says Other Ingredients and Contains it does not say Soy in it. Yes I was surprized reading the label's. We use Natures Bounty brand which does not have Soy listed. Also with the Fish Oil we supplement with a 400iu of Vit. E.

15. MyBuddy

I just stopped at my local holistic doggie place to get dog food and I also picked up some Coco Therapy Coconut Oil Organic Virgin. Whoa! lol Big name, huh? :p This is the first time using it and I'm not sure what to do with it exactly, LOL I already give them Salmon oil on their food so I don't want to overdo it, but when I read on the jar that you can 'massage on hot spots, dry skin and cracked paws for healing' I thought I'd go for it! At least if they lick it off, it's good for them! I just saw this thread again and ran for my purchase. :) The dogs followed me all the way back to my office, smelling the bag! LOL They smell all the good scents from that store. ;) Then I couldn't even open the darn jar! LOL But I finally got and let them lick my fingers with a bit on it and the loved it! Thanks to all of you for your suggestion! I learn so much from you guys! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  16. RobbyDobie

RobbyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

LOL. That is great! I love organic coconut oil - yes some say "extra virgin" - feel like I am buying some special olive oil or grapeseed oil for cooking. My puppy continues to do great on it. He literally LICKS his bowl clean - I am always tempted to not even clean it, LOL.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Luvmydoberman

Luvmydoberman Hot Topics Subscriber

Funny, I just ordered coconut oil for my two yesterday. Great minds must think alike.:) Can't wait to get it in. Dixie, fingers crossed, is cured of her Demodex mange and I am hoping this will help with her coat. Poor Sophie as a red as always had a thin, but shiny coat and I'm hoping it will improve as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MyBuddy

This is very new to me and just feels weird that it can be eaten, massaged in your skin and is good for you! LOL Sounds like a miracle food! I'm gonna sit down and massage it on Buddys feet. I'll bet my hands feel good afterwards too. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Luvmydoberman

Luvmydoberman Hot Topics Subscriber

Here's my update with the coconut oil. I got the Carrington Farm brand from Amazon. The 54oz was 26.00. I'll have to see if any local stores carry it. I'm sure Whole Foods must carry one. Anyway, I tasted it first and it was tasty. Tried it with both girls on a spoon and even finicky Sophie was hooked. I started it on their Monday evening meal and it was scarfed up. By Friday's evening meal both girls poops are totally firm. Never had a problem with loose stools, but you can easily tell the difference. Since hubby cleans the yard he's much happier about this too.:) Haven't seen much change in Dixie Lee's skin allergies, she was just diagnosed with this after the Demodex. My vet feels it's either environmental or flea bite dermatitis, not food, but I am sure it will take longer than 4 days to help with this problem. I can say I don't see them getting any worse though. So far, I'm sold.

• Like Like x 2
  20. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

If you have a Costco around check there. The Costco around us carried Carrington Farms brand 54oz for $17.
    Its not only great for the skin & coat. Its great for the Intestinal Tract. Also you can cook with it.

• Like Like x 2