Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Coconut oil for Dogs

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by Judith, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

just thought I would put this on, I use it on my pups all the time in their meals and also rub the oil into their coats, but it is just wonderful for everything.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 3
  3. Luvmydoberman

Luvmydoberman Hot Topics Subscriber

That's pretty interesting, Judith. I am really considering trying it for all three of my girls. Thanks for offering a website to purchase it Panama. I'll actually try to get around to purchasing it today.:) Sounds like it's good for just about everything!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rach

Rach Hot Topics Subscriber

I use it on tulip topically but never have given it as part of a diet.... Guess I'll give it a whirl with both her and Godric....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judith

I use the thin oil as well to rub into their coats and skin it just soaks right in with no greasiness, I just brushed the dogs today and got about six hairs off the both of them, it's especially good at this time of year when the heating is on and they are sitting in front of the fire.
    Everyone comments on the dogs coats being so shiny
    [​IMG]
    DSCF6016 by jadduke, on Flickr

• Like Like x 7
  7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Have been supplementing our boys for a year now with coconut oil. We only look for Coconut Oil that is USDA Certified Organic Extra Virgin, No Hexane, Non GMO Coconuts.
    You can also cook with it!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rosco

Rosco Hot Topics Subscriber

I was thinking of adding this to his diet but wasn't sure!! He gets fish oil pills now can I put both in his food?!?!?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Luvmydoberman

Luvmydoberman Hot Topics Subscriber

I was wondering the same thing. :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

My breeder adds this to Crow, and Ravens littermates meal. Her coat is just as shiny as Crow, and ravens on fish oil and raw.

I use it on the common places callouses develop. It prevents them from occurring.

• Like Like x 4
  11. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I would say go for it. Just try not to overdue it. 500-1000 mgs of fish oil a day is plenty. Cut that in half and use the rest of coconut oil.

Shouldn't be any problem with feeding both. With that being said have you though about switching to a salmon oil, or cod liver oil? They are noticeably better than the capsules.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Rosco

Ok thank you I will try that! I have not thought about switching him to a different fish type pill are the salmon and cod liver better than the fish oil?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gelcoater

That's not all you can do with it;)

• Like Like x 3
  14. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

hehe:p he

• Like Like x 1
  15. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I personally stopped using the pill, only because it felt so "generic". I have switched to Grizly salmon oil. You can buy it at petco. I have noticed substantial improvements in the coat since using it over the pill.

[​IMG]

Coat is thick, shiny, and for the most part dandruff free.

Part of that is due to feeding raw, but even before I switched to raw I noticed awesome results.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Rosco

Well I will have to try this because with the fish oil caplets he still gets dandruff. Is the salmon oil a capsule or just oil??
    Love the pic!! Got love those big noses!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I think dobes in general are prone to dandruff, at least we notice it more due to the short hair. Not over bathing can help as well.

It's actually oil, comes in a squirt bottle.
    [​IMG]

That bottle is about 35$, and for one dog it will last 2 months at 2500mg of salmon oil a day (Raven gets a lot since he shows)

I have more pictures of dobernoses than I know what to do with.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Rosco

Awesome! Thanks for the picture so I know what to look for!! :) Rosco gets a bath every 6-8 weeks.

I know what you mean about dobernose pictures!! We have one framed on an end table and when one of my friends first looked at it she thought it was a picture of a hippo!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Judith

I also use salmon oil and have done for the last three years, anything that is natural and will help my dogs is a good thing, my two have never had dandruff, the salmon oil is especially good for puppies as it is good for brain growth and intellect
    it may make them dance and hide but maybe that's just Buddy :dance: :bag: :rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Gelcoater

:)He is a dancer,that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1