1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Coat issues

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Panama, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Had a friend ask about yeast issues. She's tried everything her vet has given her for the dog, but nothing seems to be helping. They gave her an antiseptic shampoo to bath the dog in 2x a week. She's given him 10 baths in 5 wks (quite excessive in my book). She's tried highly recommended food (3 mo) that didn't help, so she tried a different protein, didn't help.....

I had asked another Doberman enthusiast, and they suggested rubbing coconut oil into the skin liberally, every day.

If the shampoo is supposed to cleanse the pores, wouldn't the coconut oil clog them?

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Unless you put on just enough for the skin to absorb.

Lather it on thick and I would think this would clog the pores.

A while back I was reading on here that some members, @AresMyDobie I believe, mix a spray concoction- spray on and brush in.

Never tried any of it, tbh.

3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Coconut oil has antifungal properties that make it great for treating yeast problems.

It's all in how it's processed. The key words you want to see on coconut oil are "organic" and "virgin".

When my Greta first came home, she had some awful skin problems. Everything from manage, an awful yeast infection as well as some infected cigarette burns. We got everything thing cleared up but the yeast infection. It was when researched the problem, I found everything the Vet was doing was feeding the problem, not helping. I changed Vets and started using coconut oil as well as rinsing her in diluted apple cider vinegar along with a diet change and we cleared it up for good!
    My best advice for your friend is to research yeast infections so she can get to the cause and eliminate it.

Just a few things I learned......
    Often times the medicated shampoos Vets suggest just set up an environment where yeast grows. Yes it will clear up the infection but just leaves behind an environment yeast thrives in, so it comes right back. The best shampoo is a herbal antifungal one that contains tea tree oil.
    Most yeast infections are caused when something we all have on our skin (Malassezia) starts growing out of control. You have to find the reason and change it to get growth under control.
    Diet does matter. Carbs can feed the yeast so controlling them can really help. Eliminating starchy foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, wheat and corn (the list goes on...) will help starve the infection.

Oh I almost forgot....a good probiotic the get bacteria in order helps also.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Panama

@GennyB (or anyone good at analyzing dog food) This is the breakdown of the food the dog is on now. I noticed there are 3 types of yeast listed (Yeast culture, Yeast extract, Selenium Yeast). ANything in here look alarming?

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 26.0%
    Crude Fat (min) 16.0%
    Crude Fiber (max) 5.0%
    Moisture (max) 10.0%
    Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (min) 0.12%
    Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) (min) 0.09%
    Calcium (min) 1.4%
    Phosphorus (min) 1.0%
    Vitamin A (min) 24,000 IU/kg
    Vitamin E (min) 350 IU/kg
    Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)* (min) 325 mg/kg
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min) 0.75%
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min) 3.0%
    Taurine* (min) 0.12%
    Total microorganisms* (min) 10,000,000 CFU/lb

Ingredients:
    Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Egg Product, Dried Tomato Pomace, Pearled Barley, Flaxseed Meal, Yeast Culture, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil, Whitefish Meal, Potassium Chloride, Sunflower Lecithin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Carrots, Celery, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Fructooligosaccharide, Yeast Extract, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Blueberries, Vitamin E Supplement, Broccoli, Taurine, Beets, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Parsley, Lettuce, Iron Proteinate, Pomegranate Extract, Selenium Yeast, Copper Proteinate, Inositol, Watercress, Spinach, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus reuteri Fermentation Product.

5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I agree, too many carbs can disrupt the natural flora. Yeast cells are sugar junkies. A high sugar diet may well be the cause. Treats can also be laced with too much sugar so it might be worth checking those, too.
    As for coconut oil, they could always incorporate it into their diet and instead of coconut oil on the skin maybe Apple cider vinegar as it has yeast fighting abilities. It can be applied topically, diluted with water, as an after-bath rinse, used to clean ears and added to food and/or water. The important thing is to remember to buy it organic, raw and unfiltered. Also it needs to contain ‘The Mother.’

6. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yep lol I do a 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 water and shake it in a spray bottle and then use a boar bristle soft brush and brush it in :)

7. Panama

The only coconut oil I've ever bought is almost solid.... and never looked at others... do you buy a liquid?

8. GennyB

You can use either. Coconut oil has a very low melting point so even the solid will 'melt' in water. Also use filtered water.
    You can make and give golden paste also, the turmeric will help with the inflammation of the skin. Make sure any Vet treating the dog knows about the turmeric, it is a blood thinner. A Vet would need to know in the event of an emergency or any scheduled surgery.

9. Panama

I brought her some of mine until she could go get it tomorrow. I helped her spritz her boy down and brush it in. (To him, a spray bottle used to mean he was in trouble).

I could not get Echo to eat Golden Paste at all. Joker liked it the first few times, but turned his nose up at it after that.

10. GennyB

The biggest concerns I have would be the carbs. There are 2 in the first 3 ingredients.

Ground Brown Rice I think has just over 50g in a cup. Oat Groats are lower at just over 30g. Then there's Pearled Barley while lower on the ingredients, really high in carb count. I think it over 150g. While there is no way for me to know exactly how many the dog is actually getting, I think that's a bit high for a dog with a yeast infection. Not saying the owner could never feed this food again, I wouldn't until the yeast infection is under control.

11. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It melts with hot water :)

12. Panama

Yeah, she called me freakin' out this morning... "OMG, it's hardened back up and won't spray".... (she made enough to fill a 1 cup spray bottle). Ugh... took me a few minutes to get it through to her..... just run the hot water into a big cup and put the bottle in it for a few minutes. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Dechra DermaBenSs or Dechra MalAKet. They are meant to treat yeast and bacteria. Coconut oil would help, but orally not topically. Using topical oil can help contribute to the problem as yeast is an opportunist.

Can also try mixing listerine (brown kind) in a spray bottle with water at 50:50 concentration and spraying that as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  14. Panama

The shampoo being used is Phytovet CK Antiseptic Shampoo.

Ugh, never thought about the brown listerine... I remember using that on Joker's chin.

15. Diane Law

Diane Law Hot Topics Subscriber

My go to for fungal issues is 1 part vinegar 3 parts distilled water. Mix up together and deliver as a spritzer !!! Smells like a salad initially......but smell goes away quickly. No residue .....and maintains a natural PH balance. My dermatologist recommended this a couple of years ago when Hoss has some irritated hair follicles. Works great for us. We used coconut also....its nice...felt good on my hands also !!!

16. My Gal Gretel

My Gal Gretel Hot Topics Subscriber

Probiotics can help, too.

17. Panama

The food he's on supposedly has both pre & probiotics and he get fish oil.
    I'm thinking maybe a change of protein (instead of chicken)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Diluted brown listerine? As in the antiseptic mouthwash? Just checking I’ve got this right! Does the brown one contain less alcohol?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  19. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The brown ones doesn’t have all the coloring and flavorings / sweetness. It works great on your feet if you have nail fungus. I always keep a couple economy size bottles on hand.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. My Gal Gretel

My Gal Gretel Hot Topics Subscriber

That reminds me of how we heated baby bottles on the airplanes in my previous life as a flight attendant! It works! :thumbsup:

My bad... now I see them listed toward the bottom of the ingredient list. Although, there are only a few strains and it doesn’t list how many billions of each, so there’s a possibility that there aren’t enough or the right strains to counteract the starches at the top of the ingredient list. ACV and coconut oil would work topically, but if the underlying cause is a reaction to the starches in the food, it could be an ongoing problem. Tough mystery to solve.

• Like Like x 1