Clubs: Better Late Than Never

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I've done a meet and greet at a few different working clubs and am going to join one in Arizona - LOL, only a little over 3 hour drive one way. They train 2 or 3 days a week, are totally welcoming, parent clubs are DVG and UScA. Even though they are mostly GSDs they welcome all breeds. They also train & trial in RH, which I'd never heard of: training for Rescue Dog ability.
No pictures, but the first time I visited we tried Asha on the bite pillow. I was thinking how she doesn't really like strangers, and here was a man she didn't know, activating the pillow tug. But I had her working harness on and she entered the arena area and started barking within 2 seconds. He instructed me how to hold the line behind my butt for more strength and then we let her at it. She was totally revved up. At the end he backed up about 20 feet and said when he gave the word to let her go. I said "Let her go? Like completely let go of the leash?" Yup. We did and Asha ran right at him, got the prize pillow and ran around proud as could be. And I did too. Full bark, full bite, no baby BS about her at all. :thumbsup: One the way to the car, one person said "that's her first time???" Yuppers.

The second time I went over, we worked on obedience and kinda reviewed where we were. Asha can be lackluster at short distance or trying to take two perfect steps. So she was about 6 feet away and he had me call her to front, so I did and she trotted over and sat crooked, looking around. Trainer said we're going to have to work on this, and I said, oh she can do much better. I sat her and walked out 50 feet, turned and waited a few seconds and called Heerre! and she flew toward me, ending at a perfect front looking straight up at me. (I was not sure if it would be that good). Trainer was impressed, said her eyes were riveted on me while I was walking away, never looked around. The other thing we did was see about gun shyness. I played with her with a ball on a rope at one end of the arena and he shot a starter pistol several times. Asha didn't even look his direction, didn't bother her at all.

So they let a newbie have 6 visits before they have to join, but I'm pretty sure this club will work for me. I will only be going over a couple times a month, but I've already learned some things and they have lots to offer. And Asha LOVED it, so there's that. 🥰

This is what you have been waiting for! I'm so glad that Asha is getting right into it and your preparations have put you in a good place. I can't wait for the progress reports but totally understand the logistics of having to travel so far. A three hour drive plus a full day training, then home again! Are you overnighting there?

A three hour drive plus a full day training, then home again! Are you overnighting there?
Since I'm a morning person, I choose to go to the Saturday morning training, starts at 7:30. First time, we stayed at a motel the night before, but really it's a pain, packing all the overnight stuff + dog meals, + potty the dog several times + take out food. So next time we left early in the morning, got there just at 7:30, left about noon & got home by 4 p.m. Personally I thought that was much easier. Asha hasn't learned to relax in a motel room Every voice and car door has to be barked at; she has to have the e-collar on and I have to try to sleep with the remote in my hand. I know to do this sport seriously I should be training at least once or twice a week, but I'm not trying to win the world, we're just out for a good time & to learn all we can & see how far we can get.

Well, I'm happy for you and Asha!

Reminds me of my previous working Dobe – how the first time tested with agitating by a helper, he lit it up. He also hit the tug with gusto and took it. The guy was surprised and impressed. Yes, it seems Doberman breeders who breed for this stuff (and I think yours was not breeding exclusively for working, right? Which makes Asha even more impressive, especially since she's gorgeous!!) actually are getting the job done.

Boy, the travel. I understand you'll only probably be doing it a couple times a month and it will probably be an enjoyable thing; but that is the key factor that has deterred me from working my Dobes – you always have to travel too many miles!

So, Asha started barking at the guy automatically? How far away was he, and where were other people located?

With my Dax, we walked out to the area where he was to be agitated and, well-adjusted boy he was, he didn't get defensive at the man standing maybe 20 feet away. What I didn't know, but I asked was: Am I allowed to give him the command to alert? The answer: Yes! So, one word and the fun began. :thumbsup: This is one thing I've really loved about the Doberman breed.

I think yours was not breeding exclusively for working, right?
Working temperament was the first goal, but trying to maintain good looks wasn't forgotten. Ashas dam is IGP3, but then was also shown in conformation & got a CH, but not AKC. It's that grandsire Case (Chaos v Koby Haus) that achieved AKC CH with his looks and also IGP3 in a string of titles.

So, Asha started barking at the guy automatically? How far away was he, and where were other people located?

It was definitely encouraging to see her so game on the helper with the bite pillow. There is a fenced arena and a gate, so when it was my turn, I took Asha in, the trainer was about 15, 20 feet in. There was a gate person right there who opened & shut the gate as dogs got their turns with the helper or trainer. Trainer worked with me, since it was a meet & greet and he wanted to get to know us. The helper they have is there every other Saturday. Anyway, Asha is so freaking collar wise, we'd already done a little obedience for the trainer, with just the fur saver & prong. Asha was totally good, didn't bark or get reactive to any of the group of people. Probably about a dozen people. Dogs all stay in their vehicles while one dog works, unless they are on the other side of the property doing tracking or obedience. But as soon as I went through the gate & it was shut behind me, Asha saw the trainer with the pillow and just leaned into the harness and started barking the Demand Bark - Give-me-that-toy Bark. He used a rope at first to drag the tug on the ground, but she was so on it, he changed to the pillow. She engaged fully with him, didn't mind getting up on him, zero wariness, totally sure of herself. I've only tied her back on a tree with that harness 3 or 4 times & played with tugs/bite pillow, but she knew right away what game we were going to play. Yeah, I was proud of her.

Working temperament was the first goal, but trying to maintain good looks wasn't forgotten. Ashas dam is IGP3, but then was also shown in conformation & got a CH, but not AKC. It's that grandsire Case (Chaos v Koby Haus) that achieved AKC CH with his looks and also IGP3 in a string of titles.

It was definitely encouraging to see her so game on the helper with the bite pillow. There is a fenced arena and a gate, so when it was my turn, I took Asha in, the trainer was about 15, 20 feet in. There was a gate person right there who opened & shut the gate as dogs got their turns with the helper or trainer. Trainer worked with me, since it was a meet & greet and he wanted to get to know us. The helper they have is there every other Saturday. Anyway, Asha is so freaking collar wise, we'd already done a little obedience for the trainer, with just the fur saver & prong. Asha was totally good, didn't bark or get reactive to any of the group of people. Probably about a dozen people. Dogs all stay in their vehicles while one dog works, unless they are on the other side of the property doing tracking or obedience. But as soon as I went through the gate & it was shut behind me, Asha saw the trainer with the pillow and just leaned into the harness and started barking the Demand Bark - Give-me-that-toy Bark. He used a rope at first to drag the tug on the ground, but she was so on it, he changed to the pillow. She engaged fully with him, didn't mind getting up on him, zero wariness, totally sure of herself. I've only tied her back on a tree with that harness 3 or 4 times & played with tugs/bite pillow, but she knew right away what game we were going to play. Yeah, I was proud of her.
Is she a sister to Khaleesi?

Cool! I almost got a Dark Nemo v Koby Haus pup, but that is the one where the timing for us was just not right.

I guess I never was much of a pedigree nerd. I just pulled up Dark Nemo's pedigree and saw that his dam is from the same kennel as Oji's dam.

Fun day training yesterday! Second time ever with a helper, Asha impressed him. She grips all the way back to her tonsils every single time, and holds and holds and holds then outs the second I say to. She had no qualms to get on the board, she downed on it on command. Helper is basically just getting to know her & what she knows and what I know. I don't know squat. I told them they've got their work doubled since they have to teach me more than the dog. A few photos, my internet is at a snails pace the last few days. Wouldn't load anything last night...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_314.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_314.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 15
  • fullsizeoutput_30e.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_30e.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 15
  • fullsizeoutput_317.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_317.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 15

Back