Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Change in attitude

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by StevieGoogs, Sep 5, 2019.

1. StevieGoogs

StevieGoogs Novitiate

Hi we first got Bailey at 8 weeks and hes been really good, sitting, staying, paw and generally very affection a bit like velcro at times as he always wants you. He was doing well with controlling the power of his biting, it was becoming very gentle.

We took him to the vet to get his 2nd injection and the vet gave him a once over, the vet wanted to start him on Granofen for worming treatment as his belly was a bit round and bloated looking.

Since we have started the worming his attitude has changed, he was very sleepy and lethargic when on the 3 days, we were warned he could be sick or diarrhoea, his poo was getting softer and yellowish colour while on the drugs. Since then he has become pretty aggressive which im not sure if its side effects of the drugs.

He was play biting which we have been used to but this is now much harder and is wanting to bite me instead of the toys we are playing with. He will play for a time and then it will be stretching and then really opening his mouth as wide as he possibly can then hes growling and then it the way he is stretching his mouth open it looks like hes possessed and has a major need to bite hard.

2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

^^Sounds like a normal Dobermann puppy to me. I always say there’s a puppy and then there’s a Dobermann puppy Lol They are intense, strong willed and very clever. Never, never underestimate their intelligence.

He needs to learn his place in the hierarchy. He’s testing his place in the pack with you. He will eventually accept his social status but he will at times challenge his position by disrespecting you and your commands, don’t let it go unnoticed. You are his teacher. Be a leader. He’ll respect you more for it.
    As for nipping, you need to redirect his behaviour EVERYTIME!
    It is imperative that you are consistent when training and redirecting him toward acceptable behaviour. Praise the good behaviour and ignore the undesirable behaviour.
    A firm ‘No’ and redirect to a chew toy or tug. Some have great success when they grab the scruff of the neck and give a shake while saying ‘No’ then redirect to a toy or a tug.

This stage will pass, trust me. Be firm but fair with him. I would suggest that you look up NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) make him work for EVERYTHING! Set boundaries and teach him what is acceptable and what is not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I also forgot to say...personally I don’t like to give worming tablets, flea sprays, flea collars etc to my girl. It’s all chemicals which I’m honestly against. Use worm count to see firstly if he in actual fact has worms. I’m all for preventing!!
    You’re in the UK so take a look at ‘Hands & Paws’ (which we use)
    It’s an all in one preventer (Fleas, ticks, worms & mites) Ingredients are: Linseed, Goji berries, sunflower seeds, garlic, pumpkin seeds & star of Bethlehem.
    We just add it to her food.
    All in one flea, tick,worm and mite preventer (Gluten free) See Special offer below - Hands & Paws Supplements & Flower Remedies

We are lucky to have a local stockist of hands & paws.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. StevieGoogs

StevieGoogs Novitiate

Hey thats really useful information thanks very much. So many different opinions when it comes to training, letting the dog learn to play bite to soften their bite.

5. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would definitely bring a stool sample in to see if he has worms rather giving the meds if he doesn't need it.

• Agree Agree x 3