1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Casper

Discussion in 'Memorials' started by Regalis, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

Something I read reminded me that it's been just over one year since I suddenly and unexpectedly lost my husky boy. I'm horrible with dates and don't tend to pay much attention to what the date is, so sometimes I miss "important days".

I spent the one year anniversary walking for miles upon miles trying to help locate a local missing pup. I'm not even entirely sure why. But for some reason I decided to walk the area and see if I could spot him. 8+ miles later, I never did see him but had a rather enjoyable walk. It also kept me off my phone/FB the whole day/evening so I never saw the "on this day" reminder, for which I'm rather grateful. It didn't even register until earlier that it worked out that way.

Casper was my first dog. As in, the first dog I owned as an adult. I did SO many things wrong. But through him I also learned a LOT. Especially about "litter mates syndrome". He had the worst separation anxiety. But at the same time, he was one of the sweetest, calmest and well natured dogs I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. There was not a child or dog I did not trust him with. He could play with the tiniest of puppies and just knew to be gentle with them. He LOVED going Halloween camping, he'd sit with my dad and help pass out candy to all the kids. He never spooked. He was great with cats. A master thief and escape artist. He never did break of the habit of stealing food from the kids hands if they weren't paying attention. He'd steal frozen feeder rodents if he could get to them. We had to utilize child locks on our fridge/freezer long before having kids because he'd break into it and steal stuff. He broke out of every crate I ever put him in. But he was my baby. Just shy of 9 years old. I had for some reason just always expected him to be one of those super long lived huskies. Other than some minor arthritis, he had always been healthy with no signs of any health issues. We had a pretty typical day outside, he had been his usual self digging a hole to lay in to cool off. All seemed fine and normal until morning when my husband woke me up saying something was wrong with him. He was under the table, wouldn't get up, was panting and seemed to be having a hard time breathing. Of course it was also a school day, so we got our oldest off to school and that's when I realized it was just too late. I laid with him on his bed until he took his last breath. The only vet open was about 45 minutes away and I just had the feeling he wouldn't make it that long. I was right. The vet figures he probably had a heart attack. Said they saw no real reason to necropsy him, as it wouldn't change anything anyways and he'd never been bred. He could be a completely stubborn a$$hole, but I always said he was MY stubborn ass and I loved him for it. I spent so much of my life arranging it around his needs that it just seemed common place and it took me a while to realize not everyone is willing to do that for their pups, I really thought everyone gave up outings so as to not leave their dog completely alone, put in child locks, etc. He was also a master bunny and toad killer. Lol. Sure do miss that butthead.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Aw, what a super boy he was, bless his heart! Your first will always hold a special place in your heart!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

He sounds like he was a wonderful dog who will always have a huge spot in your heart.

I'm sorry for your sudden loss and while a year might seem like a long time so some, I know it's just like yesterday when they're such a big part of our family. :sorrow:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

At one point, we took in a senior medical rescue. She was only supposed to be a foster, but she and Casper hit it off so well that I couldn't bring myself to part with her. She only lived a year, but in that year they were inseparable. And he helped her soooo much. She had a host of medical problems, so she would sometimes get unsteady on walks (after she learned to walk again) he would walk right beside her and let her use him for support. He watched over her day and night for the first several weeks. She was in really rough shape, even after a week in doggy ICU we weren't entirely sure she would pull through. The first week or so she was crated, more to limit her attempts at mobility than anything and he would sleep wedged up against the crate. I don't know how I got so lucky with him. You hear so many stories of huskies being dog aggressive, animal aggressive, kid aggressive, etc etc etc. He did not have a mean bone in his body. I could do anything to him and the worst he did was sass and throw husky temper tantrums.

Here he is with his girl, Stella. He's the light red/white one. IMG_20170612_131707.jpg IMG_20170612_131644.jpg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4