Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Carried away by hungry eagle, little dog lives to tell the tale

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Jan 5, 2018.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

By MICHAEL RUBINKAM Associated Press

JANUARY 4, 2018 — 5:00PM
    [​IMG]
    JESSICA HARTMAN, ASSOCIATED PRESS
    In this photo provided by Jessica Hartman, Monica Newhard, right, and her granddaughter, Helen Welch, hold their pet bichon frise, Zoey, as the dog's rescuer, Christina Hartman, stands behind them, Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2018, in Palmerton, Pa. Newhard's brother says an eagle snatched Zoey from the yard.

Felipe Rodriguez says he thought he was hallucinating when an eagle snatched his sister's little white dog from her yard, flapped its massive wings and disappeared over the trees.
    Did he really just see that?

He had. Zoey the 8-pound bichon frise was gone, taken by a hungry raptor Tuesday afternoon not 50 feet from his sister's house on the banks of the Lehigh River in Pennsylvania, Rodriguez said.
    "It seemed like something from the 'Wizard of Oz,'" he told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "I'm a city boy. This doesn't happen in my world."

Even more astonishing: Zoey would live to bark the tale.

More on that later. But first, let it be said that eagles are quite capable of taking a small dog or a cat.

"It has been documented before, but not that often," said Laurie Goodrich, a biologist at nearby Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, a ridgetop preserve that annually records tens of thousands of migrating hawks, eagles and falcons.

With food scarce and waterways freezing up, raptors are "looking a little more widely and taking advantage of whatever might be out there," she said.

Rodriguez said he was by himself at his sister's home in Bowmanstown, about 80 miles (128 kilometers) north of Philadelphia, and Zoey was playing in the fenced yard when he heard a loud screech, hurried to the door and looked out.

"The bird was holding onto the dog. There was flapping of wings and then it was gone," said Rodriguez, a 50-year-old healthcare executive visiting from Chicago.

He drove around the neighborhood looking for the 7-year-old bichon, to no avail. Rodriguez assumed Zoey was gone for good.
    His sister and her family were devastated when they found out.

Newhard said it's not unusual to see eagles, given her home's proximity to the river. She also suspected they occasionally grabbed one of the rabbits that lived under her shed. But it didn't occur to Newhard that any of her four dogs would be in danger.

Heartbroken, she and her husband scoured the woods for Zoey's body. Little did they know their bitty bichon would be found later that afternoon — a full four miles away.

Zoey's rescuer was Christina Hartman, 51, who said she was driving on a snow-covered back road when she spotted a furry white lump ahead and pulled over to investigate.
    "I notice this little frozen dog, icicles hanging from all over. It could hardly move," Hartman said.

She scooped up the whimpering pooch, wrapped her in a blanket and took her home, feeding the dog two bowls of chicken-and-rice soup. Gradually, the bichon warmed up and began to show some spunk. Hartman noticed several small wounds on the back of her neck, and the dog walked with a limp. She had no collar.

"This dog belongs to a family, and I'm gonna find out who owns it," Hartman told herself.

It didn't take long. She spotted Newhard's public Facebook post Wednesday morning — Newhard had uploaded a photo of Zoey — and made an excited call.

"I said, 'It's a miracle! I have your dog!'"

Zoey had bruises and a few missing patches of fur. It's not clear how far the eagle might have carried the dog, but Rodriguez said he can't believe Zoey survived.
    "She is not really herself, but she is getting lots of love," his sister, Newhard, texted the AP late Wednesday. "She doesn't want to go out. ... I really can't blame her."

Original source:
    Carried away by hungry eagle, little dog lives to tell the tale

• Like Like x 1
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes. Eagles certainly do carry off small dogs sometimes. I love that the Bald Eagle has made such a comeback in this country. We used to see them in Minnesota – especially in some parts of it I lived in. We saw a lot of them where we lived near Seattle.

We would have them fly over our property sometimes. I always appreciated that they would not be able to take my 90 lb. buddy away, but my nextdoor neighbor was always worried about their little pooches.

A related aside: There was a legend there that a tall cedar tree fell one day and an eagle's nest was discovered with several small collars in it. It also was a running joke the amount of missing cat flyers we'd see up around town. Between the raccoons the coyotes and the eagles it was not a friendly place for outdoor cats.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. JanS

We see a ton of them around home and I always know when there's a road kill when you see them gathered around. I saw one here flying around the other day too, which was kind of an odd sight since the fighter jets were flying around in the same frame. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me.

• Like Like x 4
  4. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

I have a few big Hawks and a big Owl living in my back yard and nothing 10lbs or under are safe...I've seen the bones and fur.

• Like Like x 3
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

We have not had any incidents of large birds (no Eagles around here just Turkey Vultures, Hawks and Buzzards) trying to take small dogs. We have had a couple of incidents with Coyotes taking small dogs. People leave their small dogs out without watching them. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

As the owner of an 11 pound dog, I can tell you I am constantly on the lookout. We have red tail hawks, turkey vultures and I even saw a bald eagle for the first time a few years ago. That was very exciting! Even though I am afraid for my dog, seeing a bald eagle for the first time was a special treat. :)

That said, my eyes are constantly searching the sky, the ground, Shadows, sounds, you name it, whenever I am outside with the dogs. I do feel a certain sense of protection having Buddy nearby but I am still constantly watching Kali. I would die if I saw something grab her!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The hawks show up (migrate) here in mid to late October and I have had one break through the screen on my porch to get to my birds. I now have made my porch predator proof from birds of prey, raccoons, rats and snakes.
    We have the Osprey and Eagles here and I used to worry about my indoor outdoor cat. Now I don’t worry so much because ‘Tater’ is just a few ozs. shy of 20lbs. He would be difficult to take flight with. I have though seen the hawks fly into a palm tree at high speeds and within nano seconds fly off with a rat in their talons. That is a sight I love to see. Too many rats down here. I never see mice down here, just rats. You know it’s a big rat when you see a turd that is just under an inch long.:eek:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

How does Grace handle the owl?

9. Oh Little Oji

It was so cool one day driving alongside a lake in Lake City, MN and seeing a Bald Eagle flying alongside the road, then swooping down to the water's surface and snatching a large fish then flying on. It was a fairly labored ascent once the bird had the fish in its clutches.

You markswomen and marksmen out there: If you were armed with a trusty rifle and you saw a large bird of prey pick up your pet and fly away, would you take the shot?

• Like Like x 2
  10. GOD'S GRACE

Living in the country we have lots of sounds and animals...Grace is aware the owl is here, but being over her head she only monitors his actions and doesn't obsess over his calling....

Coyotes are the problem! I had to electrify my fence on the outside, they were trying to get in when the dog went out at night...our coyotes are even crazier than most because they breed with feral dogs, so they get big here...all are nasty...

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  11. Tropicalbri's

This to me would be something to mentally practice for. How high will the bird get by the time you get your gun. Is it flying over trees, brush, grassy field, roadway? What is estimated distance and speed of the bird and what your pet’s terminal velocity would be in calculating survival. Cats are designed with a spinning tail to right themselves and will splay out the legs to give a parachute effect to slow them and they don’t land stiff legged, their legs are out to the side to put the force on the joints to act like a spring. Dogs, humans, horses etc. would have a higher terminal velocity, with less ability to right themselves or land using the the legs to absorb impact. They would land stiff legged unless you were taught Uke (lol) and could release the energy of the fall instead of absorbing it.
    So if my cat were airborne under a bird of prey and I trusted my marksmanship then yes, I would shoot. For a dog hmm....lots more to consider but yes I think I would take the shot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. MyBuddy

Man, you better be a great shot! I'm not even sure that it's possible. You'll get the bird and your dog! And then of course, the fall will kill him. Kind of like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, huh? LOL You've got to know the movie. ;)

I worry about the coyotes here too but I haven't actually seen one in many years. We can hear them, and sometimes they sound damn close. But everything seems to Echo out here in the open. Sometimes you can almost hear your neighbor talking and their two acres away LOL There's been times when coyotes have woke us up and I run to put the light on, swearing they are right by the house. But I never see them. I've never seen them in a pack. Only hear them. (I posted a video somewhere here) Last time I remember seeing a lone one in the daytime, was about 10 years ago. But I still worry about them with both my dogs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GOD'S GRACE

It's not worth the Jail Time in my state... or the fine!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  14. MyBuddy

Ha, right! Then there's that! :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. JanS

I would never shoot and owl or other raptor but you're damn straight I'll take a wolf out if it's attacking our dogs or horse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GOD'S GRACE

This past summer I found a dead Hawk in the back yard...I examined him closely and found him riddled with bird shot...Don't know who did it, but what a butt head...the bird was mature and had a 30-36" wing span. SAD

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MyBuddy

Hawks are all inspiring to me! I would be terribly sad to find one shot in my backyard. And angry.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. GOD'S GRACE

Exactly, and they provide a balance in nature that is very important to us in the country...I'd be over run with mice, rabbits, wild cats, you name it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Tropicalbri's

I would never just arbitrarily shoot one unless it was going to kill my birds or cats in mid flight. My animals come first.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Oh Little Oji

I think a bird of prey would shoot me if they could. Ever notice that arrogant look on their faces?

• Funny Funny x 4