Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Carpet cleaning machine?

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by Dobieone, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Dobieone

Dobieone Notable member

I had a Bissel that was good for a short time. It was used alot for those accidents in the house. We recently put down a Pergo wood floor in all but the living room and bedrooms.

I rented a carpet cleaner from Home Depot (again) and it really does the job. They have a 7 in 1 cleaning solution which I used for the first time and found it to be great. I believe it is a Rug Doctor.

So...before the new carpet goes down, I have to find a new machine.
    A refurbished Rug Doctor is 425.00. New they are around 900.00.

My price range is around the Bissel or Hoover models. Something to pull out quickly and get the pee up before it soaks into the carpet and especially the padding.

Thanks!

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We bought the Bissel Spot Bot, which is nothing like their other models, and that thing is my new best friend. I had a couple of stains that were over a year old from when our old dog got sick, and I had scrubbed them to pieces and used our other little Bissel cleaner to no avail, then I tried it with the Spot Bot and it was like a miracle and removed every bit of the stain, so I highly recommend that for the accidents. All you have to do is set it down on the stain, turn it on and it does all the work. :thumbsup:
    BISSELL SpotBot

As for a regular cleaner, we recently purchased the Bissel Pro Heat II Pet and even though I haven't had a chance to try it yet, I did a ton of research before buying it and all of the reviews said it's great and kicks butt on anything you can rent. It runs about $250, but we got it on sale for about $200.
    ProHeat 2X® Select Pet

• Like Like x 4
  3. csmith4242

csmith4242 Notable member

We have the Hoover Elite I think it is ,it was on sale at Kohl's and it works really well has auto rinse and heat dry and spot clean. Really cleans well and has hose with hand tools so it can be used to clean the car interior.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dobieone

Dobieone Notable member

Thanks for the consumer reviews. I had the older small Bissel Jan. It would clean, but not pick up the solution very well. And for those emergencies it sounds like the SpotBot will do the trick. Kohl's does have some great sales on those items. I ran into Larry the cable guy at Wal-Marts yesterday, he told me to tell ya all hello.

5. Soleil

Soleil New Member

We also have the Bissell Pro Heat Pet machine and love it! It does a very nice job and is super easy to use. We use the cleaner that comes in the maroon/purple bottle; I think it's for pet stains. It has a very pleasant scent and does the job even on older stains. Our house was a foreclosure so the carpet was a bit rough in some spots.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JanS

That's good to know since I have a bunch of their different formulas and wasn't sure which would be the best.

---------- Post added at 05:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

Yes, that's the other one we have too and it was nothing like the Spot Bot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dobieone

Dobieone Notable member

I know this doesn't sound like an important topic, but in the past there has been some real junk out there. It was buy a less expensive machine or shell out big bucks for a top of the line machine. The BISSELL SpotBot sounds like the one. I have the previous hand held Bissel and it's worthless. When they have the occassional accident, I like to get it up quick!

Thanks

8. doberdiva

doberdiva Jr Member

I have the Bissell Little green machine. I have gone through one already and on my second one now. My first one died from over use. Between having 4 dogs and 4 cats and a Husband :p , It stopped working but I put it to more then good use of the average non pet owner. I like that its small enough to be portable and great stairs. The only down fall is that if you have a big oops you will have to refill the water tank.
    We also rent the Rug Doctor from our local grocery store to do the whole house at least every 6 months.
    I looked at the Spotbot also but the Little Green did wonders for me the first time. Next house no more carpet for me :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

I liked our Bissell Little Green but we had to throw it out when the hose broke from being used too much. After that we bought the SpotBot and I love it! I loved that when Spock was potty training and had an accident I could just drop the machine on top of the spot and go about my business. Just yesterday the little brat knocked a mostly full Coke perfectly upside down on the carpet! I put the Spotbot on Set-in stain and a few minutes later you couldn't tell there had been anything spill at all...on off-white carpet!

• Like Like x 2
  10. JanS

I'm actually glad you started this thread since I was going to start a review for the SpotBot anyway, so you saved me a couple steps. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This has been an interesting read to me! I guess when you have pets, a carpet cleaner is an ISSUE! LOL I bought a Hoover Spin Scrub upright a long time ago and it's been a godsend! I will never forget when my first Dobie was in his last stage of life and I woke to diarrhea squirted ALL over my bedroom carpet! My husband thought we would have to have it replaced but I said, give me a chance with my Hoover.......and amazingly the carpet was beautiful! I did get to it quickly but still.... I was so glad to even HAVE the carpet cleaner available!

Now reading about this SpotBot again (Jan has mentioned it before :) ) got me thinking again. I used to think, why have that when I have the big upright? But I know that sometimes I will have a spot of something (other than urine/poop which of course would have to get my immediate attention! ) and put off dragging out the 'big one' (from the basement...and it's heavy) and I wonder if I had that Spot Bot if I wouldn't easily gotten to it ??

But here's the question. I know every time I clean the carpets, it's putting 'wear' on them to a degree. The 'newness' is being beat up a bit by the brushes and the fibers get that frizzy look after a time (with a plush type carpet) Mine still look great but I can tell places like our bedroom, which has gotten the most washed, is be bit more worn. (only I would see this) So I wonder about using something like this SpotBot in one spot? How long do you 'set it and forget it? so to speak. Does it make that one spot cleaner than the rest of the carpet? Also the Bissel Little Green .... again, when I saw that, I thought it was a lot of money for a spot cleaner when I could do the whole floor. lol What is the difference between that one and the SpotBot? All this is making me wonder if having BOTH would be beneficial or not? :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
  12. JanS

I guess the clean spot can be noticeable if your carpet is pretty dirty, but I thought our carpet was in need of cleaning, and I didn't see any sign of the ring, so it hasn't happened with us. I have some before and after pics at home, so I should post them later.

As for the difference between the SpotBot and Little green, the little green just has a rotating brush while the SpotBot has multiple brushes that go in different directions and depths, so if you watch it, you can really see how it works so well. I'm not sure if there's a demo video in the link I posted above, but if there is you can really see what I mean.
    I think the regular cycle runs for 3 minutes, so you just set it down and let it do it's magic. I wind up sitting there watching it though since I'm so amazed at what's happening with every cycle. :grin:
    But yes, if you have pets, kids or adults in the house, it's really nice to have in addition to the big cleaner.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Edit: I just checked and they do have a demo video.
    Bissell

• Like Like x 1
  13. MyBuddy

Well, I probably missed my big chance here.........this past Friday I was at a garage sale and someone had a brand new, never outta the box, SpotBot for $80 I was very tempted!!!! But I didn't have that much money on me and then thought maybe I don't really need it. ...... but I probably passed up a good one, huh?? UGH..................I'll just have to drag out the big one !

• Like Like x 1
  14. JanS

I don't think I paid too much more than that for mine since they were all 20% off at Lowe's and there was something like another $10 rebate, so it may have even come out less.

15. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I've just always used the old hands-and-knees approach followed up with a good extraction with a wet/dry shop vac. A real carpet cleaning machine would be more convenient for sure.

If this isn't too far off topic, do you folks have any recommendations for new carpet for a dog owning home?

• Like Like x 1
  16. JanS

That's always my first method of cleaning doing the old scrub by hand thing, but our carpeting on the main floor (forget the brand) is treated with the Dupont Stainmaster treatment and it's definitely better than the untreated carpet. So while I can't give you specific carpet recommendations, I would recommend some sort of stain protector/treatment.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Cool. i sort of thought Stainmaster was a kind of carpet rather than a carpet treatment. How little i know! LOL I'd love wall-to-wall for the main living areas, but maybe laminate flooring with area rugs would be better. I'm trying to decide. I could yell at my BF for scuffing his boots around on the carpets where we live now... He's not a lazy man, but he scuffs his feet around on the carpet. He's harder on it than the dogs are! Sometimes I wish his mother was still around so she could tell him to pick his feet up! Maybe I will just make him take his boots off at the door when I get my new floors.

18. MyBuddy

I was raised that way! We don't walk around the house (especially the carpeted areas) with our shoes on. It's just second nature now.

When we built this house and added the carpet, I thought I remember the guy telling me that almost all carpet is somewhat treated with a 'stainmaster' ? Whatever was on it, it really worked in the beginning. I remember how liquid would just sit on top of it! lol Most of mine has been shampooed by now and it doesn't do that anymore. :(

I just thought that using my upright and Ingrid's 'hands and knees' approach would be good enough for now but I was thinking it was a good deal.... good to know that I didn't pass up a real bargin! lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dobieone

Dobieone Notable member

Well.....I bought the Bissell Spotbot Pet today. Wow!! Great machine!
    I would like to thank Jan, Jess, Sharon, Smitty, Ingrid, Dober Diva and the academy.

• Like Like x 5
  20. MyBuddy

Really like it, huh?? How much did you get yours for? I don't have that one but sometimes I think about it for a quick pick up!

• Like Like x 1