• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Carpal Hyperextension

StateOfMine

Hot Topics Subscriber
I saw a thread and read briefly about knuckling over, but I noticed Flint's forepaws doing the opposite.

20230911_232655.jpg

He didn't look like this before going to the vet and staying overnight 48 hours with parvo. Is this likely because he had food withheld from anesthesia with his ear cropping, then again for 2 days because of parvo, and his exercise was extremely limited?

He does some jumping randomly but not from a great height. He just does it to be a goof.

Here is what I feed him

He gets 3/4 cups 3x daily. Too much? Not enough? He is 10 weeks old.

Interesting article I found, mostly about GSDs, but toward the end of it discusses food issues. And does mention Dobermans sometimes having issues. With all the trauma your puppy has seen in his short life, I'm thinking it's probably temporary and nutrition related and he'll be fine. I would take daily photos from this same angle to see how it progresses,

Carpal Subluxation and Weak Pasterns—two Different Conditions? | SIRIUS DOG

He gets 3/4 cups 3x daily. Too much? Not enough? He is 10 weeks old.
There is no way we can help with measurements on his food. How much does he weigh? Did he drop a lot of weight with Parvo? Since he's back home already, it seems like it must have been mild, thank goodness! He is eating all you give him with at healthy appetite now? No vomiting or loose stools? Generally I always say if he's too skinny feed more and if he's too fat feed less, and always best for growing puppies to be on the slim side. But with his recent illness I'd be careful about pouring too much food to him too quickly, he has gut healing to do. Did the vets give you probiotics to help offset the antibiotics and help his gut heal? The faster his gut heals the better he can absorb the nutrition in his food which should correct his bone formation.

Hope this helps, so glad your puppy is home with you.

So happy to hear he is home.
I totally agree with the probiotics to help offset them meds he's been taking.

If it's any help at all, Allura is 12 wks, I feed her 1 cup - 3x a day. However, she is a very active puppy with a lot of outdoor play & running.

Well it turns out he may not even had parvo and I'm livid with this vet. I asked for another parvo test and he was negative... Would it go away that quickly???

Furthermore, I watched them clean his ears and he used  alcohol on ears that were still healing. Is that typical??? Flint's ears stank too, like blood. I need to get his sutures out still, which I thought would happen Friday but now they're saying it might not be for another week, maybe two.

I feel defeated and tired and I can't wait for this to be over.

Well it turns out he may not even had parvo and I'm livid with this vet. I asked for another parvo test and he was negative... Would it go away that quickly???
Thankfully I'm not an expert but I've never seen it go away that fast from hearing other peoples stories. It's possible that it was caught and treated so early that it is the case but it's also possible it was a false positive, which would not be the vets fault.
I watched them clean his ears and he used  alcohol on ears that were still healing. Is that typical??? Flint's ears stank too, like blood.
I personally wouldn't use anything except a damp cloth to wipe them off but at least the vet didn't use an antibiotic ointment. I think his ears just need to be left alone to heal with no tape until the sutures are out. I guess we've mentioned that before though.

Did they wrap over the sutures again? Sutures are usually removed about 10 days after surgery and never covered while the skin is healing.

Furthermore, I watched them clean his ears and he used  alcohol on ears that were still healing. Is that typical??? Flint's ears stank too, like blood. I need to get his sutures out still, which I thought would happen Friday but now they're saying it might not be for another week, maybe two.

I feel defeated and tired and I can't wait for this to be over.
I'm sorry to say, your vet does leave me wondering. It's sad to try to have faith in someone and they keep making you question them. It very well could have been a false positive on the Parvo test. I wonder if his 2 vaccines could trigger that with the active antibodies building? So, nobody to blame. Or could have been that he got the virus but with 2 vacs, he only got a mild case. So many unknowns, but now he's home and healthy so time to work on his other issues.

I just want to say once more, it is perfectly fine to leave bandages off while stitches are in. Here's a thread on one of @Rits puppies with his ears recently cropped and they just hang like this until the edges are healed and stitches come out - then posting begins. There are many ways to do ears in that first 7 - 10 days after crop, but the only wrong way is to cover the stitched edge.

Sorry about the silence. Flint's feet have corrected themselves, he just needed to eat and get some weight put on him. The stitches were out on day 14 and the wrappings are spaced out instead of fully mummified. I will be removing them myself now that the stitches are gone and I will let them hang until the scabs are no more. Its quite a relief to not go back to that vet. I was actually debating whether I wanted to do the backer rod or the zip tie method. Backer rod would require more tape than the zip tie but I think I read on here that the glue can be quite a pain to deal with as well. But that's probably for a different thread entirely.

Sorry about the silence. Flint's feet have corrected themselves, he just needed to eat and get some weight put on him. The stitches were out on day 14 and the wrappings are spaced out instead of fully mummified. I will be removing them myself now that the stitches are gone and I will let them hang until the scabs are no more. Its quite a relief to not go back to that vet. I was actually debating whether I wanted to do the backer rod or the zip tie method. Backer rod would require more tape than the zip tie but I think I read on here that the glue can be quite a pain to deal with as well. But that's probably for a different thread entirely.
I don’t know how true it is, but I heard the zip tie method doesn’t shape the ears as nicely as backer rod.

Yes, glad to hear he is doing better on all fronts! Just curious about the toe nails. Obviously they did not trim the nails down during the ear crop (they should have), but if he hasn't had exposure to nail trims, you should start now while he's young. Handle the paws and then get him used to clipping or Dremeling.

Backer rod no doubt until the ears mature and shape out somewhat.

I am so glad and relieved that you will be posting the ears yourself.

-Is it easy? Not at first.
-Is it challenging? Yes.
-Does it get easier? Absolutely…the more you do it, the easier and less anxiety one has.

You need to do it to not just be the one to post the ears and make sure that one of the most significant characteristics of the Doberman is done correctly but I just cannot express how much of a stronger bond that will be formed between you two.

The trust, the love, the concern, the commitment between you two will grow, bond and seal tight because of it. I truly believe it’s the start of the amazing relationship one has with their Doberman.

To me….to put that on a vet that really has no intimate concern for your pup- it’s just a job to them- it’s not a good start at all. Plus, most vets 8/10 that I’ve seen on here do it all wrong anyways. The only one who does it right is the owners and that’s because they have a personal reason to make it all perfect and not push the puppy off.

Back