1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Canine von Willebrand's Disease

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by deladobies, Feb 21, 2009.

1. deladobies

deladobies Member

While doing reserch online, I came across some information on VWD and thought I would share with those of you who are not aware of this disease. I myself am learning every day and hope to learn all I can about the breed.. .It seems as though Dobies have a wide variety of genetic diseases that we should all be aware of.

Canine von Willebrand's Disease is an inherited deficiency in one of the clotting factors of the blood. It is similar to haemophilia in some respects, but may appear in either male or female. "Carriers" may show no overt symptoms of the disease, but their progeny can have severe bleeding problems. Dogs affected with vWD may have symptoms varying from very mild to severe or lethal. These bleeding problems include prolonged bleeding from toenails cut too short, hemorrhage from even minor surgical procedures, lameness, hematomas, stillbirths or early death of newborn puppies, intestinal bleeding, and so on. The bleeding primarily involves mucosal surfaces (gastrointestinal tract, nose- bleeds, blood in the urine, vaginal or penile bleeding) and is aggravated by stress situations (other physiological, pathological, emotional or hormonal conditions).

In breeds where specific genetic tests are not yet available, carriers of the trait can still be identified through the blood test for von Willebrand factor. These dogs have reduced levels of vWF (25 to 60 per cent) but do not have bleeding problems. Levels vary with age and between breeds. Where a bleeding disorder has been identified, breeders are advised to test breeding stock. Dogs with von Willebrand's disease and those who are carriers should not be used for breeding.

Does anyone here have any personal experience with VWD, if so please share any advice or knowledge you have with us... I for one would like to know more...

• Like Like x 4
  2. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

I don't Dela but all things being equal after reading that - I think I would take a White or Z Dobe over a Carrier of vW...
    I know there are breeders that will disagree - and say that a carrier bred to a clear won't produce, but I disagree, personally I do not believe they should be bred. GREAT article by the way!!

3. Big Max

Big Max New Member

Good info,that sounds pretty serious if you ask me..wow!

4. MaddoxDobes

MaddoxDobes Member

VWD affected are the bleeders, not carriers, and if a carrier is bred to a clear you will produce carriers and clears, if bred to carrier, affected and carriers, if bred to affected then affected and carriers. And most the time the affecteds aren't going to bleed to death, but some can

5. abrahamlitan

abrahamlitan New Member

Von Willebrand’s isn’t so much a disease as a condition. Of all the inherited bleeding disorders in animals it is the most common. The defect isn’t autosomal so both males and females can suffer from the “disease.” It must be remembered that just because a dog doesn’t show symptoms of von Willebrand’s, it doesn’t mean it can’t be a carrier.

6. MLR

MLR Novitiate

It is only my opinion but, regardless of how you mix up the gene pool eventually you are breeding to extinction where VWb is involved. I would never in good conscious knowingly breed any dog, dobe or otherwise, affected in any way with this desease. In fact when the results of the blood work come back, if there is any positive facter at all, the lab will make the strong recomendation to not breed this animal.

7. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

A Carrier bred to a Carrier will produce a litter of Clears, Carriers & Affected.

When we found out about vWD, we started testing. Our male (at that time) came back Affected. His Allys Essay results was 9% & VetGen: Affected. We lost him 5 months before his 14th birthday and he never had any clinical signs /symptoms of being a bleeder. My beloved Jasmine was vWD Clear, (Allys Essay results: 138 & VetGen Clear) she was only 11 when we lost her.

The Gene Pool cannot be limited to just Clears. Too many positive traits would be lost. No I do not think Affected pups should be produced in abundance. With testing and proper pairing, the # of Affected pups can be significantly reduced.

In a perfect world, our beloved breed would not be afflicted by all these health issue. However... they are!

8. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

Good post Panama and thanks for that information. 14 is a real test for longivity....few have a dog with living to that age. Congrads to you. There are many stories with the same history and that for most in this breed is vital. A dog living to this age is acceptional. Who else has dogs that old? Not many. Thanks Panama.

VenGen is the expert in testing for Vwd and it is FACT that carriers do not bleed from Vwd. VenGen that does the testing for our breed considers carrier to clear a safe litter because they do not bleed. If they do, you have other health issues, not Vwd. I guess they know a lot more than we do since they have the patent on the test that gives you exact results.

If you search the Doberman Club of America website, you will see only two dogs that died of Vwd. I think that you will see a lot of other health issues that are a cause of death. Affected dogs MAY bleed, but in TYPE I it is rare. In addition, there are other reasons for a dog to bleed to death. TYPE I rarely is the cause. If you had a carrier bleed, you need to look at other causes because genetic testing has ruled out Vwd as the cause. Let's be clear on this. Science is exact in this test.

The research that Dela is quoting is NOT the VenGen testing. It is talking about the old test that could not identify Carrier from clear etc. It was often wrong. For educational reasons, we need to use the Science that is exact and not go backwards. VenGen states what is a safe breeding.

It is the goal of ethical breeders to breed out all faults. Albonism is a disqualifying fault in the breed because it carriers many health conditions. The Science is clear in mammals. This is not opinion. It's Science. To compare a Albino to a Vwd carrier is just misleading. There are many many dobermans on the longivity list that carry Vwd and some affected. There are almost no albinos. Give me longivity any day.

Becky

9. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

"These bleeding problems include prolonged bleeding from toenails cut too short, hemorrhage from even minor surgical procedures, lameness, hematomas, stillbirths or early death of newborn puppies, intestinal bleeding, and so on. The bleeding primarily involves mucosal surfaces (gastrointestinal tract, nose- bleeds, blood in the urine, vaginal or penile bleeding) and is aggravated by stress situations (other physiological, pathological, emotional or hormonal conditions).
    . Dogs with von Willebrand's disease and those who are carriers should not be used for breeding. "

QUOTED from Deladobies post above:

If this is what you believe. I would suggest you test your "accidental" litter. This is a test that will give exacts for your dogs and your puppies. Sometimes it is necessary to test puppies so the owners will know and their vet will have meds to save their life. Although, it is fact most do not bleed because they are type I.

VenGen testing is a simple swap that you can do and it's on sale for $75...which is only good through the 28th of February. 1/2 price. If you are concerned about Vwd, test your dogs.

Becky

Becky

10. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

VenGen is the company that is credited with discovering the gene that produces bleeders. Carriers do not bleed from Vwd, that's not a theory or opinion. It is fact and Science. This statement may mislead those that come to this forum for facts. If you are so concerned, test your dogs so that you will know. :nono:

I can also tell you that while Z factored and albinos are accepted as rescues, breeding them is not. Ethical breeders will not allow you to use their champion dogs, nor sell you a quality dog if you suppport the breeding of albinos or promoting a fault so serious that it is disqualified in the breed. With albinos come many other health issues and came from very poor examples of the breed that were inbred to make money. On an educational forum, we should be clear.

Becky

11. Panama

The vWF Allys Essay results are not reliable at all. The ranges overlap so far they cannot tell if the dog is a Clear or a Carrier.

A lady in WA used it, and her male and female came back a Clear and "not Affected" (as the paperwork said). When she bred them, sold the pups and someone had their pup tested through VetGen...results came back Affected.
    So her dogs were either both Carriers or 1 Carrier & 1 Affected.

In my case where our male's vWF results came back at 9%, We knew he was Affected, but tested through VetGen anyway.

12. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

Just think - if clear bred to clear - we wouldn't be having this discussion. Every Veterinarian asked will tell you they should not be bred - period. I agree with the Vet's.

13. Silent

Silent Novitiate

What if the clears are also the dogs that produce bad hips or cardio, cancer or cvi?

We do not have a definitive test for breeding stock for any of those.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

Silent - this a very provactive thought - it's why I went with a European dog. They are 95% healthier... It's why I think their gene pool should be added - heavily to the American Doberman - to clean up the bloodlines and health.

15. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Thank you for you insight into the newer Allys Essay test results not always being accurate for VWb Panama. Owning a VWb postitive doberman with a white count of only 11 and who has practically no clotting ability I followed my vets and the labs advice; I had him neutered. I mean, who are we going to listen to here, medical professionals or breeders interested only in making a profit and to heck with the betterment of the breed? Women who are carrying babies with known severe birth defects can now, and often times do, opt out of the pregnancy. I say why knowingly breed dobermans who are only going to weaken the stock we have out there to choose from when it is now so easy to avoid it in the first place. That kind of neandrerthal thinking does nothing for the credibility of this, or any other, breed. When prospective owners are looking for a pet they want to know that it will be with them for a good number of years. And they have a right to expect that their new best friends health will not be compromised by known deseases which could have and would have been avoided if the breeder had any morals. I agree with you 100% jstlovesdobes; I'd take a white or Z factored doberman hands down over a doberman affected with VWB in any way any day of the week.

16. Panama

When we learned about the affects of vWD, 17 yrs ago, the Allys Essay test through Antech Labs was called vWF test (which I guess has been changed to vWB ?). I have seen others mention vWB, just thought it was a typo. We've been using VetGen since.

Yes, our boy was vWD Affected. He gave us almost 14 amazing years of loyalty, companionship and wonderful memories. Sorry, I don't see that as something so awful. There are far more life threatening issues (DCM..etc) he could've been facing.

17. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

Then you answered your own question - you want a long lived healthy dog... and that is what every pet owner deserves. However that is not the case, not for everyone. While you had 14 years with your wonderful dog - do you honestly believe that is the norm for ALL of them??? I don't think so - I know of Dobe's that are affected that have died with this. I know of other owners that have struggled with this, blood transfusions etc. Color is such a small thing. Do you know that at one time, Fawn's and Blues were not accepted colors? Breed standards change - all the time and it is usually to reflect what is popular at the time. Not what is best for the breed.

18. Miller Dobes

Miller Dobes Novitiate

And you think this is so important that you have tested your dogs? They sure aren't on any list that I have read. Carriers do not bleed from Vwd and if you think they do......I have some beach front property in Arizona for ya. LOL>

Becky

19. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

No Becky... I simply neutered them. THAT took care of all problems. So tell me, when you breed the affected dogs in your kennel - how is that working out for you improving the breed? How is that planned litter from this year looking with the economy the way it is? Sounds like responsible breeding plans to me.

No Carriers just pass it on to the unsuspecting new owners...

20. Silent

Silent Novitiate

Most who are unsuspecting owners are pet owners. Since carriers are not bleeders it does not affect them as a pet at all. If they are breeders they should not be unsuspecting.