Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Can I get some opinions on neutering ?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by C908, Oct 7, 2019.

1. C908

C908 Member

In the past we have never waited this long to have our dogs neutered. I know there are a lot of different opinions so I'm curious how some of you feel ? Our previous vet who we no longer go to said do it as early as 4 months. I know many breeders prefer waiting 2 to 3 years. Our breeder states in our contract it can not be done before 12 months. Preacher will be 20 months old in a few days and he is still intact. We have also heard some owners feel they settle down after being neutered while others say it makes no difference. There are also those that prefer to leave their dogs intact even if they are not breeding. We heard Ceasar say once if you are not going to breed you really should have them neutered. I've been holding off because of right now I don't have a vet I can trust. I appreciate your comments.

2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I wound say if you are wanting him neutered, any time from now on is fine at his age. I would recommend you go see Dr. Becker at Independence animal hospital. It would be worth your drive and he is probably the cheapest you will find.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

20 months is good I think, close to two years.
    Much better than 4-6 months.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I have always wondered about the claim of calmness with neutering, and noticed that the people who neuter will say it has all sorts of positive impacts including eating less and less leg lifting. And those with intact males will say there’s no impact :scratch: Ultimately, I’d say you should do what feels right for your situation and I agree that at his age, it would be safe to proceed.

My male is 3 and intact, he lifts his leg on walks, but usually pees in a forward stretch when he’s in the yard. He’s never had issues of marking inside the house. Despite being a foodie, he doesn’t seem to eat as much as some other males but he would certainly eat himself sick if he had the chance. Sometimes when I go through an obedience routine with him, he’ll burp when he sits but will still take the treat from me like his life depends on it! :rofl:

Our original aim was to make it to 18 months and then to 24 before deciding. My hb has pretty much always wanted to keep him intact, and I actually find them to be an impressive pair lol. Can’t imagine my little pony without his Jolly Balls. It’s part of what makes him “large and in charge” :thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You are within the safe time frame to neuter if you so choose. It has to be your choice.

Neutering will not correct problem or aggressive behavior and may exacerbate it.

It does help eliminate leg lifting /marking
    in the house and I have seen some dogs that had a bit of crazy hyper behavior calm a bit.
    I do think however, it depends on the individual dog, his innate activity level, personality etc.

Are you hoping to calm him down by neutering or is there any other reason that you feel it is necessary to neuter.

If there isn’t a specific reason other than people / Vet telling you you need to do it then I would leave him intact.
    Again, this is just my opinion because there are inherent risks associated with anesthesia although very small, but it’s still there.
    Usually we say if there comes a time that anesthesia has to be used to address a physical problem that needs surgical intervention (this could encompass anything from dental work, suturing a deep laceration, fracture of a leg or paw, etc.) then choose that time to neuter since they will already be under anesthesia.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. C908

C908 Member

Thank you for the recommendation, I will look him up. Independence is not that far from Sedalia. After having a falling out with our vet of 16 years I just haven't found anyone I'm comfortable with in Sedalia.

7. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

Hello!
    I just had Rex neutered at 15 months last month. I really wanted to wait the full 2 years or at least 18 months. My vet even told me he respected that I did my research & wanted to wait, but eventually the humping and marking became an issue real quick.
    Walks were becoming unenjoyable because it was more of a sniff & pee fest rather than a stroll. As for other dogs, Rex and my friend’s same age puppy (unneutered) started showing dominance issues, and another friend who has an unspayed female had Rex constantly trying to give her some sweet loving. Then in a couple day span a small fight broke out between the male (Rex is not aggressive at all, and these dogs have known each other since they were only a few months) & he nearly impregnated my friends dog. That’s when I finally called the vet. The vet said if it’s cause behaviourally issues he was willing to give Rex the surgery.
    Fast forward to now, it’s been one month since the surgery. Which changes have a noticed?
    - Almost no marking. He will pee maybe about 3 times on an hour long walk instead of 20.
    - When they say calming down is a myth, I’d agree. But it’s also getting colder outside, so maybe he’s just not as tired as he was with the heat.
    - No more humping his lady puppy friend!
    - His male puppy friend & him are a lot more playful with each other again.
    - He’s been eating a lot more than he was, so he is still putting on weight.
    - Personally I hate giant dog balls always on display, so I don’t have to see that anymore! I never understood men who have such sentimental attachment to their dogs’ balls like they are their own.

Those are the main differences I noticed. Feel free to ask more since it’s still fresh in my head haha!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Hey, it is great to get ‘before and after’ details so thanks for sharing. Keep an eye out for how his recall might change. I’ve read from generic articles that intact males are harder to recall but then I’m also guessing Doberman owners work a lot harder on this.

Eating more is also interesting. I had heard they eat less. Just goes to show how each dog is different.

:spit: I’m not a man but I love them! Haha. It’s true that men seem to take it personal. It’s like they think they’re winning a battle lol.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Tropicalbri's

You can always get them bronzed. Took a while to find a company that would do this.:eekwtf:

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I would want them dipped in gold :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. C908

C908 Member

Thank you for the explanation of differences you noticed. Preacher is not in contact with other dogs so we have no issues such as humping. He does mark a lot as you mentioned when going on his daily walks. I have gone back and forth on getting him neutered. Part of my problem is we don't have a vet I totally trust. We had a falling out about a year a go with a vet we used for 16 years. Since then we have tried several others but I haven't found one yet that gives me a good feeling. I've had a couple of doctors recommended from fellow doberman owners saying they would be good to do the neuter. Both these vets are about 1 1/2 hours a way, not a big deal. Its been about 14 years since we had our last male neutered. I can't remember if its a go in the morning and come home the same day procedure or if over night is required. It also sounds like this procedure has gone up in price since we last had it done. What is the going price ? Thanks for your comments.

12. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I second the recomendation. Drake saw him a few times while we were in the area for training. I LOVE Dr. Becker!

ANYWHERE! I can't believe how reasonable he is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. C908

C908 Member

Thanks Genny !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

So sorry you can't find a trusted vet, it's very frustrating. My vet is a bit older, making him more experienced & wanting to stay true to the practice he's been doing for so many years. Because of that, he will be completely honest about recommending what we do in situations instead of whatever will give him top dollar.

There were 3 options to go with during the neuter.
    1. Neuter, anesthesia, and antibotics to take home
    2. Neuter, anesthesia, and pain killers and antibotics to take home
    3. Blood work, neuter, anesthesia, and pain killers and antibotics to take home

He recommended to go with the second, so I did. In the end I think I paid $583CAD or $683CAD (I can't remember). Honestly, a lot cheaper than I thought it'd be. I had about $1400CAD saved up for it.

The day of the neuter I brought him in for 12PM, sat for about 30 mins while they gave him some sedation slowly. He recommended we stay with him before he went under so that his adrenaline wouldn't race which would mean more anesthesia. I came back for 6PM to pick him up!

15. C908

C908 Member

Thanks for that information, looks like the price you paid converts to about $438.00 US money. I thought that was about what it would run based on what I have read. We live in a small town where our vet selection is very limited. I'm probably going to have to travel to the City which is about 1 1/2 hours away. Our groomer had a very bad experience getting her dog neutered at the vet we are currently using. Knowing that I just can't take Preacher there for this procedure. I may try and have him done after cold weather sets in. I'm hoping to take him off of his allergy medication for a couple months after we have a hard freeze. For some reason I never had a problem getting our previous two male dobies fixed but I'm having a hard time with Preacher. Maybe that has something to do with me getting older. I noticed you are in Ontario, do you happen to know where Thunder-bay is ? I spent some time there in my younger days. I was a Golf Pro and was planning on playing in some Canadian events. I ended up staying at the Thunder bay golf course teaching golf lessons for the summer. Somebody turned me in for not having a work permit and I got word they were going to deport me. I left in the middle of the night and haven't been back since. Those were the days, I don't even play golf anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mshipway

mshipway Jr Member

Good reads, I was on the fence about this so far, I mean Argo is only 13 months. @RexsMom i see similar, he is a bit in your face with other Males who are not fixed, and on a walk, he marks a lot. The odd time he will hump
    Ill keep reading.

17. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

Honestly, I don't believe in spaying/neutering unless there's an acute/emergent medical need for it. All of our male Dobies were never neutered and always behaved well. We never had issues. Now, with a female, I understand that spaying might offer some medical benefits, but I'm not sure. I defer to those on here more knowledgeable than I.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Tropicalbri's

At our clinic we have a 7-8am drop off for you to sign all the release forms and we (the techs) explain everything the doctor and staff will be doing. Then we put you and your pet in an exam room where Doc will speak with you again about the procedure and address any concerns you may have.
    A trained surgical technician will prep and assist in the surgical procedure. All dogs have heart and respiratory monitors during surgery They are given injectable pain meds and antibiotics.
    A technician also will stay with your dog until they fully come out of anesthesia and are able to stand and go outside to urinate.
    Then they are placed in a darkened quiet recovery kennel until they are ready to go home. We (Doc) call you and update the procedure that was done and let you know they will be ready to go home at a certain time.
    We do not as a rule send them home with pain meds or antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. Our surgical suite is totally sterile so there should not be a need for antibiotics to be sent home. It’s tough on their stomach after a surgical procedure.
    When you pick them up the same day the technician will go over the at home care instructions and give you a printed copy of it.
    Our costs for neuters on 60-90lb dogs is $250.

The most difficult part for you as the owner is trying to keep them calm and very limited exercise for the first week.
    Good luck on that. :D

• Like Like x 3
  19. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree! I find most of the problems associated with being intact are more training issues, not behavior caused by having hormones.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tropicalbri's

If this is not the appropriate place to post these pictures please move them. @Rits, @JanS @GennyB @MyBuddy.
    I wasn’t sure where to post them but wanted to share some picture of our vet hospital.
    B4D6FCF8-F766-49CD-80E2-85863D51AE2C.jpeg
    Surgical prep area and post surgery recovery.

94839A58-C25E-4FBC-9C47-792BD313281F.jpeg
    Surgery

F6E17EC5-CB7B-486D-AE19-FC434BBB41E8.jpeg Surgical suite

A2B75C22-68B5-4580-B687-C76CD1CEBD05.jpeg
    Inside boarding kennels.

• Like Like x 7