Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Calling All Posting Doberman Ear Pros (HELP)

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Klaus 0818, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Klaus 0818

Klaus 0818 New Member

Most definitely, but I feel like other tape on the skin would be very painful taking off?

2. Klaus 0818

Klaus 0818 New Member

I think you make a great point!

3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Unfortunately, I am not experienced with adhesives. My current boy is the first pup that came to me with adhesive. The breeder recommended Goo Gone ("citrus power") to remove the adhesive. When I used this, the Goo Gone left an oily residue that was a hassle to get rid of with rubbing alcohol. To me, the last thing I want is oiliness when I am trying to get a clean surface for tape to stick to.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. Klaus 0818

Klaus 0818 New Member

It might just come down to better tape and backer rod instead of tampons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

I have 1/2" and 5/8" backer rod. The 1/2" may be similar in diameter to a tampon. I don't remember. Of course by the time you wrap tape around it it is thicker. I hope there is maybe a 3/8" diameter backer rod available? Look for some of that at the hardware store or home improvement store.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. Klaus 0818

Klaus 0818 New Member

I’ll give that a try! Would I back tape that or have to make several layers over with duct tape before back taping?

7. Oh Little Oji

That looks good! Yes, I have heard of the cone pushing the posts forward. Bridging it to the other post may help this, but the cone pushing them forward is still not ideal.

8. Oh Little Oji

I wouldn't worry about any pain removing the tape. Dogs are tough! Even if it removes some fur (which it will) it will grow back. Your main objective at this point is to get the ears posted effectively and have them stay posted, and avoid infection. The tape being hard to remove or removing fur is of lesser concern. You can fine-tune those things once you get these problems under control :)

9. Oh Little Oji

You do need to wrap duct tape around the backer rod to make it rigid enough. If your pup needs the posts to be as small diameter as possible at this point, you will want to try as few layers of duct tape as possible. Two layers perhaps? One? A major problem Oji presented me was that he was very good at bending the posts when he would lay down! I wound up using six layers of duct tape, and he would still bend them!! Bent posts resulted in them becoming dislodged at the bottom – popping out. I never overcame this with him.

Actually, I backtaped the first few times, but then I stopped backtaping because I found that the posts stayed in there and everything worked fine without the backtaping. So it was just black duct tape in contact with the inside of his ears. Near the end of his posting career, he started to have a clear moisture in the ear which I attributed to irritation/mild infection from the duct tape in contact with the ear. So I would recommend wrapping (backtaping to achieve stickiness to the ears since you are having trouble) the duct tape with the medical tape you get.

10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I didn't have time to read through all of this but you've gotten great advice.

It really helps to put baby powder on the hair side of the ear to easily remove the tape so you might want to try that. If you can't get the Zona's or Kendal tape, the sports or athletic tape is very similar so you could try that as well.

11. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This is what worked for me, hopefully it helps you.
    When it was time to post, I did so when the pup was calm. Sometimes I had to help with that. ;) I got everything ready, backer rod back taped, all other tape precut and ready to go. Now bring on the pup. Stay calm and have lots of treats if necessary. Some pups respond better if rewarded. I didn't have to. Just a soothing gooood girrrl worked. I did give a treat when finished. Next I did the posting and when finished grabbed the leash for a quick trip outside. Once back inside we worked on some training. Just simple stuff like sit for about 10-15 minutes. Now you should have a pup that is tired enough to forget there are post in his ears. :)
    Also I'm not sure the paper tape is the problem. I used it with the pup in my avatar with no problems at all. Not sure if she was having a reaction to the tape or the adhesive remover but quickly learned we needed to keep it as simple as possible with her. I left her ears down a couple of days while the reaction cleared up then back to posting with just the bare minimum. Worked out fine and she now sports beautiful ears.
    The best advice I can offer stay calm. You don't want to get excited or frustrated around a puppy. Just relax, you really do have time to fix any little bumps in the road.
    Don't cover the irritated part of his ear. Leave it exposed to the air and watch for signs of infection.
    This can seem intimidating and overwhelming at first, but I promise it gets easier. Before you know it, you'll be doing in a matter of minutes. The pup will get used to it and it will become just part of his day just like eating. Remember to keep it pleasant for him and soon he'll learn to come sit by you and wait when he sees you getting the supplies ready.

Deep breath....you've got this!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Being the planner and wanting everything ready when I needed it, I would pre make my posts and put them in a ziplock bag. I then had everything else I would need for the posting in another bag and treats at the ready for them. Also I would put them on the counter since I wanted them out of their comfort zone by being on the counter. It made them easier to handle. If you do it on the floor with them, they tend to want to walk away or squirm more. Bogie would literally fall asleep when I cleaned and reposted his ears. Bacall was more squirmy because her ears were a bit more tender from the tape. I would also tear the 1” tape in half lengthwise so that a smaller amount of the ear was covered. Be sure to allow the natural fold in the ear on the side closet to head to remain in the natural fold when taping.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1