• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Calcium to phosphorus ratio

Logan 45

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I was just seeking out helpful opinions on calcium to phosphorus ratios. I understand that this is actually important to know and feed the correct ratio and bad ratios can cause issues especially in developing dogs.

You are correct, the balance is important. I believe it is approximately 1:1 generally leaning toward a bit more calcium depending on developmental stage. I used to have a chart with ratios bookmarked when we tried raw feeding. Later on when I have a bit more time I'll see if I still have it.

We will be doing the ‘switch’ very soon. I’m still doing my homework so this a good topic for me, too.

Meat = very high in phosphorus and low in calcium.
Bone = Bone is high in calcium and in phosphorus. For the bone to make up at least 10% of their raw diet. That 10% helps to balance out the phosphorus content of the meat and organs being fed.

My ‘plan’ is to feed the meat, offal, and vegetables in her bowl and give her a raw, meaty bone on the side. Possibly 2/3 meat and offal and 1/3 vegetable.

Ive been told to watch her poops when I switch. Too loose then increase bone, if they are too hard and crumbly, then reduce bone.

I’ll be following this thread for more info!

Thank you both for your input. Who knew feeding dogs could be so complex haha. I kinda thought it was 1:1 for the ratio but if I don’t know for sure I will ask.

It's really not complicated once you get the hand of it. I remember when I started raw, I was a nervous wreck I would screw it up. 2 yrs later, piece of cake, and I will NEVER go back to processed food (for the dogs, lol) Best thing to remember Balance over time!

I would personally stay away from turkey bones. They are much more dense than chicken or duck bones and can splinter. Turkey necks can be a serious choke plug, as well as turkey tails, there have been a few deaths in my FB group due to those. And ALWAYS watch your dogs eat. My boy Spike used to be a gulped and I had to go down his throat once to retrieve a hunk of meat, who knows what would have happened if I hadn't been right there...If your pup IS a gulper you can freeze the meal into a solid ball (bigger than the size of his head) and let him eat off of it until he gets his meal amount. Then put it in a bag and toss back into the freezer. This keeps him from swallowing chunks, cleans the teeth AND is great mental stimulation!
When I first started I was soo worried about bone ratio. Chicken thighs are pretty darn close to perfect bone to meat. They were my go to bone for their meals! Good Luck, you'll do GREAT!
Carnivorecarryout.com has some real good info on their website and even has meal plans to help you along, check it out!

Back