1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Calcium supplements

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by johnfin, Mar 9, 2019.

1. johnfin

johnfin New Member

Any of you give calcium supplements to young dogs (6 months old) . Wasnt sure if there was a problem with VWD. I read something about some supplement and that problem but I cant remember what it was. Maybe high protein.

2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Would not give extra calcium to young dogs. They will get enough in their food. You don't want them to grow faster can affect bone growth.
    Bone growth plates do not close until 16-17mo.
    Another reason not to Spay/Neuter until Bone Growth Plates close.
    Would not let them run too much or jump around a lot.
    Canine Growth Plate closure.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

No, a healthy dog typically obtains adequate amounts of calcium through their commercial dog food.
    If my dog had a calcium deficiency, then I would look at calcium-rich foods in her diet before supplementing with tablets. Adding a calcium supplement to a puppy that’s not deficient can be risky, long-term. Too much calcium in puppies is detrimental to their development and can cause skeletal deformation.

Knowledge about growth plates is so important. The growth plates are weak and can be prone to injury or even fracture. It’s important therefore not to overexercise puppies such as jogging them on hard surfaces.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You don’t want to supplement a puppy with calcium as that can offset the calcium to phosphorus ratio and cause developmental long bone conditions. What you do want to supplement with is Vitamin-C which aids in binding calcium. Calcium and protein have nothing to do with vWD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. johnfin

johnfin New Member

any scientific proof on the bone plates? i would like to read that. seems that cheetahs and jaguars need to know about this too.

6. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

This site uses several references that you can check out. Id recommend googling the original research if you want to read from the source directly. Cheetahs and Jaguars are not dogs. If they are like any other big cat they most likely stick around their den area and play with each other. There is a difference between a puppy romping around and forced exercise. And regarding diet and calcium/phosphorus- cheetahs and jags would be eating whole prey items and getting the proper nutrition designed by nature. Thats my take on it anyway.

Impact of Exercise on Puppy Growth Plates - Dog Discoveries

First article when googling effects to too much calcium. There are plenty others you can check out too.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/developmental-orthopedic-disease-large-breed-puppies

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Do many people go jogging with their cheetahs and jaguars on hard surfaces near you?

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. johnfin

johnfin New Member

No but my vet races greyhounds and she starts them at 3 months in a field with a red sock on a fishing line. I also live in greyhound county and they have "puppy" races on occasion. Its funny to see them. My dobies are only on grass in the backyard, never a hard surface but at 5 months old they run like a horse around the yard. To limit a dog from running for a year or more seems wrong.

9. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You misunderstood. We are not saying to limit running, but to limit forced exercise (bike, running on lead) and limit running on hard surfaces. Two different things. Free runs on soft surfaces like grass and carpet is fine. That way the dog can limit themselves and stop if they start hurting. Like you said, your Vet starts them in a field...ground is a soft surface and gives. Concrete etc doesn’t give.

Like stated a simple google search will pull up what you need as far as “proof”. Also Greyhounds and Dobermans are two different breeds. Can’t compare them.

Here is a visual of a puppy’s skeletal structure. It pretty much speaks for itself on why you should limit exercise at a young age. The joints aren’t even formed yet. Constant percussive stress on the joints like running on hard surfaces is just begging for structural issues in the future

6F66FCEC-B31B-41E9-8590-532AC9816B4C.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1