1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Buying a puppy in person or website?

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Ccostanza, Nov 21, 2016.

1. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Imagine putting out the extra bucks for a show dog and it doesn't turn out. I explored the possibility of a show dog and asked the breeder what happens if the dog can't be finished because she didn't mature as expected. She didn't even answer the question. She just hung up on me. I thought is was a logical question but apparently not.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

See, that is utterly ridiculous and shows such arrogance and, if you ask me, insecurity on the part of that breeder. That was a totally fair and smart question.

What, you don't get to ask certain questions? Breeders are beyond reproach? What is this, a Monarchy, or a customer-provider relationship where the customer is entitled to receive what they pay for and what is promised?

Yeah, dealing with some breeders: :rolleyes: :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

There are no guarantees getting a show puppy but more than likely the breeder will want a contract with you, co-ownership and require the dog be shown by a professional handler. And if getting a top working dog you will need to sign a contract stating what level you are planning on titling. There will be a time limit on how long it takes getting the title. If all agreements are made then breeder will give you full registration otherwise most pet contracts will be partial registration and will want a spay or neuter contract.

4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Almost everything you said is the reason(s) I made the decision I did when looking for a pup. I just didn't like the contracts. Some worse than others and I could see some of the, in my opinion, ridiculous requirements becoming a problem.
    The spay/neuter thing being the biggest problem. Right or wrong (a debate for another thread), I believe it is in the best health interest of my dog to be left intact til they completely mature at the very least. I understand a breeder trying to protect their kennel. But come on, I have NO interest in breeding and have proven myself responsible with an intact dog. Of course having a pair will be different but I have crates, doors and have educated myself with NO interest in puppies. I think I have at least earned a shot at it.

Co ownership is out of the question for me. I have seen too many relationships go really bad over a dog. Then what? It would make me miserable to own a dog with someone I despised or couldn't agree with.

Of course there is the "pet" thing. It's like a dirty word to some breeders. And you can't leave some groups out of this discussion. Some show people as well as various working clubs treat you like you have some sort of contagious fatal disease if you are just a pet owner.The lowly pet people are what keeps the dog business alive. The market for dogs would die if there were no pet people.

I'm not in a place in my life where I can devote every spare minute to training of showing. I do believe in training and love to get my dogs out to show people the importance of it. I believe it is important in keeping dogs out of rescue as well as make them an important part of a family where they can live a good happy life.

I am not directing this rant at you @Doberman Gang I know you would welcome me to your club to train with my goals in mind. I think you can relate to what I'm saying and not take it personally.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I understand the pet person thing. I look at it like every pet person has the possibility of becoming a show person, not that they will but they might. There are so many venues to go have fun with your dog, why not do it. Most of my close breeder friends understand that 80-90 % of there business is for pets and they are considered part of there Doberman family. But if they breed show or working dogs, they still want to place there best prospects with people who can get titles. They may hold back top prospects to find the right Working or show homes for them.

It is unfortunate that some breeders and some training clubs can be so snobbish. I believe we need to expand knowledge and educate those new to dobermans, showing, working or just training.

• Like Like x 3