Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Busy life problem

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by LuckyBoy, Dec 22, 2019.

1. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy New Member

Guys,
    I have a 4 month old Doberman. Recently i havent been as busy as i usually am. Little story behind this is that i am in construction and work at a company that is roughly 1.30 hours away from home. So imagine i leave at 6:30 am after i have already taken my dog potty and put him in a shed that is attached to our house as most of us are gone until roughly 4:30. I get home around 6:30 pm. So i get to soend some time with him in the evening.
    He has an automatic feeder that feeds him during lunch but i feed him in the am and at night. Ive had time to soend alot with him and train him the past 2 months since i have had him but soon i will be busy again soon. I feel bad because i wont get home till about 9:30 pm then just put him in his cage and have him sleep.
    do you guys have any advice? I will be able to spend time with him on weekends. Should i wait until his more mature??

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Maybe try to get someone to come by at least twice during the day to let him out to play, stretch, relieve himself outside. Over 15 hrs in a room/shed/crate is way too long for any dog.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow. I totally agree with that. That's no life for any dog. No matter what age. It would be a godsend if you had someone that was able to come over a couple of times during the day. I wouldn't even feel safe leaving him all alone in the shed for that long. God knows what a bored dog would get into.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  4. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

41BC016B-5582-4805-B607-FD558129A2B5.png

Between Corona and the Norco area I’m sure you could arrange something?
    If Rocky wasn’t such an ass towards other male dogs I’d say bring him on over, we’re only a few exits up the 91

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Find someone you trust to come in at least twice a day if not more to play with him outdoors and to give him potty breaks. This breed does not do well being alone for long periods of time.

You want your pup to be active and socialized with different environments at this age to develop a stable Doberman.
    Being alone so much can create issues down the road that may be difficult to reverse.

I took my twins to work with me. They learned to ride with me on heavy equipment, were around many different noises of tools we used and had running play time in fenced properties where I was working. They also learned boundaries and recall on properties without fencing. I always brought their crates for a bit of down time during the day.
    They really need a lot of time and interaction with you.
    I do hope you can find someone to come in a couple times a day.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Is it possible to take him in your vehicle with you? The commute time spent sitting with you in the car is still better than being home alone. This would only work in safe weather conditions though.

This is a major challenge...without tiring him out during the day, how will he even sleep at night? With a dog walker to visit him, how would he bond with you?

• Agree Agree x 2