Bumps on cropped ears?

bmickey89

So my doberman is now 5months, he got his ears cropped at around 2 months however because him and his brother would rough play, he had to get his done twice. His ears stand up fine, however the stitches are still there, they come out more the more it continues to heal. My issue is he has these bumps all on them which I feel are from poor post ear-cropping care. I didn't have him at the time though, he has an appointment with the vet to get his upcoming round of shots Aug 12th and I was going to have them check his ears, but until then does anyone have any suggestions? Its on both ears however if you zoom in on the attached picture, you can see it better on the right ear (your right as you look at the picture lol)

20210729_103020.jpg

Hey, welcome!

I'm glad the ears are standing so well!

I wonder if what we are seeing there is puckering. So, these are dissolvable stitches, and the vet said to let them just come out on their own?

Typically, it is recommended to not do this until the stitches are out, but a gentle pulling upward on the ear is supposed to help prevent puckering.

A note, also: It's not recommended to use an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin and such because it speeds healing of flesh and can lead to puckering.

Hey, welcome!

I'm glad the ears are standing so well!

I wonder if what we are seeing there is puckering. So, these are dissolvable stitches, and the vet said to let them just come out on their own?

Typically, it is recommended to not do this until the stitches are out, but a gentle pulling upward on the ear is supposed to help prevent puckering.

A note, also: It's not recommended to use an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin and such because it speeds healing of flesh and can lead to puckering.
Thanks, I am as well. Puckering honestly sounds 100% correct now that you've mentioned it, that's exactly what it looks like. Yes the stitches are dissolvable, the breeder got their ears cropped before we purchased them. He told us the stitches stay in and continue to fall out as the ears heal. I am not sure how long it takes for he ears to completely heal. I have only put liquid neosporin on them recently because he was playing or scratched one and it was bleeding a little, very little, and I just squirted a little on them, so since I've had him, I've only put it on there like twice.

Looks like a lot of bumps. Can you take a picture outside with better lighting?

Was he posted before the second crop? If so, you should be ok to keep them standing, however, this is the age where the ears are most likely to fall due to teething. Stitches stay in for 1 or 2 weeks. Once they are out, you really won't have time to waste.

I didn't have him at the time though,
What does this mean? Was he still at the breeders?

Also, you say he has a brother, does that mean you have littermates?

Looks like a lot of bumps. Can you take a picture outside with better lighting?

Was he posted before the second crop? If so, you should be ok to keep them standing, however, this is the age where the ears are most likely to fall due to teething. Stitches stay in for 1 or 2 weeks. Once they are out, you really won't have time to waste.

What does this mean? Was he still at the breeders?

Also, you say he has a brother, does that mean you have littermates?
Yes, it's enough. Yes, he'll be going on a walk in about an hour and I'll try to get a picture. I'm not sure what you mean by "was he posted before the second crop". 1-2 wks? Well it has been well over 2wks since the 2nd crop. The first was done back in like April and the 2nd was done like beginning May. He had his ears taped/wrapped from then up until end of June because the vet said they didn't have to stay wrapped. He was with my sister in another state. My sister purchased them both and I got one and she has the other, the breeder is a family friend, he didn't want to separate them.

he had to get his done twice. His ears stand up fine, however the stitches are still there, they come out more the more it continues to heal.
When was the re-crop done? You're definitely going to need more posting once those stitches are out since stretching them up while posting might help reduce the appearance of those bumps.

Just an update guys, sorry I'm so late. He had an upcoming vet appointment. The ears were infected and the stitches should've been taken out months ago, however I was going off the breeder. His vet took them out, gave me antibiotics and this internal drop stuff to heal them. That was 2 weeks ago. I will post an updated pic shortly as now they look GREAT!

Thankful you got those stitches out! Sorry for the experience with the vet who cropped and stitched....glad you have a helpful vet!!!
Look forward to photos!

Yes, the vet that removed them said the vet cropped and stitched them good however it could've been the breeder that assumed the stitches would fall out on their own.

Attachments

• received_380250996798888.jpeg
    received_380250996798888.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 20
He had a cone, he didn't have to wear it however I wanted him too just to be sure they healed. So I made him wear it for 1 week then I removed it. He had to take his antibiotics the entire 7 days and after 1 wk they were healed and I just continued to do the medicated drops until the bottle was empty

Thankful you got those stitches out! Sorry for the experience with the vet who cropped and stitched....glad you have a helpful vet!!!
Look forward to photos!
Yes, the vet that removed them said the vet cropped and stitched them good however it could've been the breeder that assumed the stitches would fall out on their own.

Attachments

• received_380250996798888.jpeg
    received_380250996798888.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 12

Back