Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Bullmastiffs

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by Oh Little Oji, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hey, all.

I'd like to get everyone's experience with, and thoughts/feelings on Bullmastiffs.

I've had a longstanding appreciation for, well, a lot of different breeds; but Bullmastiffs have been one. Don't worry, I've said in times past that I intend to always have a Doberman. I am someone who is always trying to learn, to explore and to be open minded though. I admit that I sometimes fantasize about the good qualities of another breed.

Really I want an alert, capable guard dog that is a great deterrent via its physical appearance; but the Doberman's high prey drive and high exercise needs are a downside to me. A major downside to the Bullmastiff is the drool.

I found this very interesting thread from a forum called mollosserdogs.com:

working Bullmastiffs :: Forum

I really like that thread because it talks about a most important topic: Will a Bullmastiff protect naturally with no testing or training? Some say the Doberman will. Some say the Bullmastiff will. Some say neither will.

2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't really have much experience with the breed. I have only known one personally. He was a brindle and absolutely beautiful boy named Boss. The drool was definitely a deterrent especially this boy because he liked to shake his head to rid himself of the hanging sloober. You had to make sure you had a quick out if you saw the tendrils starting.
    Not sure if it inherent in the breed, but this boy was pretty low energy except when it came to chewing. The first time they left him out of the crate he ate the dinning table and 2 chairs. Extremely powerful jaws that snapped the legs in half.
    Boss was a really big boy that made it like living with a horse in the house. Saturday afternoons were spent with a pitch fork and wheelbarrow cleaning up the yard after him. The piles were like living with a elephant.
    Probably not the breed for our lifestyle. We probably fall in line with a smaller, more energetic dog that doesn't leak from the jowls.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

86341386-568D-4AE4-B086-5DD1A7E33DFF.jpeg Ever consider getting a Doberman/mastiff mix? Energy seems to be lower and less drool from the reading I’ve done in the last 10 minutes on the internet. Plus look at this guys, she’s adorable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. GOD'S GRACE

GOD'S GRACE Notable member

I've always like pure breed...you know what's inside the box of CrackerJacks...:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Well, I don't know if you remember, but our next door neighbor with the seven Fjords is on their second bullmastiff. My experience with them has all been good. My biggest complaint is the slobber! Oh it's bad LOL real bad. I don't go near him unless I'm dressed in my barn clothes!

The personality? The sweetest little dog. Okay not little. LOL He is built like a bull. Strong and stocky. The first one they had was bigger. Taller. This guy is a little smaller and they are keeping him trimmer. The first one, in my opinion, got fat. His neck was probably bigger than my waist. And that's no lie. I don't know how they kept a collar on him. But again, he was a sweetheart! Total sweetheart. When he was alive, I rarely saw him. He stayed in the back of their house and rarely roamed. They don't really believe in neutering and the first one had only one descended testicle. I think that's what took him at 7 years old. Very young but I think it was cancer from that. The one they have now is still unneutered and she walks him on a leash a few times a day. When they walk by me and I am out in the barn, he is so so so happy to see me! :) he practically pulls her down trying to get to me. He is so strong! But I just love him. She has to stand on the leash and (she's not very big!) to keep him from jumping on me and knocking me down LOL they never really taught him proper manners. But they don't seem to mind. He jumps on her all the time. But she doesn't care. It's just the way she is. I could never allow that because he would totally knocked me down LOL but she's younger! :rolleyes: If I had a bull mastiff he would have to have better manners. Simply because he can overtake me. He's much better walking on a leash now because she does it so often. But it's the only thing he's kind of good at LOL

But I can't knock him. He is a lover boy. She said he goes crazy at the coyotes so I wonder how he would be for protection with an intruder. Not sure. But I can ask her.

Oh, and the hot summer days are hard on him. His breathing can get pretty labored. Winter and Fall are best for him.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Disgusting :tonguewink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. GOD'S GRACE

Back in the 70's I had my first G Dane...6 cans of dog food and 2 bowls of kibble everyday, (I had no clue back then)...any way I know ELEPHANT POOP when I see it! :spit:....If you didn't pick up before mowing it just might have stalled the engine:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Everyone's descriptions are painting quite the picture! :spit:

I know nothing about this breed except for meeting one last weekend! This is a 9 month old rescue English bull mastiff. I did not dare take my eyes off his body while he and Kaiser met each other so this is the only pic I have. From a safe distance lol. It went very well so I don't doubt their sweet nature. His energy felt relaxed to me.
    image.jpeg

Their tails are huge! He was happily wagging the whole time. I didn't pet him so I can't comment on how he felt. The lady who had him was not very tall but she had full command over him. He didn't pull. She said he was lazy but a powerful chewer. He definitely moved very slow. Almost like lumbering. How well would his joints hold up under that weight, is one thought I had. He was not overweight. 130 lbs I believe. I did notice his lower eye lids drooped. At such a young age I imagine that will become more pronounced over time. The wrinkles and drooling everyone mentioned - yikes. The massive size...I could understand the allure I suppose...he was an imposing beast. I would not have met him had I not felt the goodness of his owner and him. In the wrong hands who knows what could happen.

For Doberman owners though, that breed feels too different. We are used to beautiful athletic bodies, regal stature, intensity and expression in the eyes...this dog didn't seem to have that. He's also young and in a new home so who knows. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and his owner was clearly smitten.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

They all start small...

:laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@Oh Little Oji

You know I considered the Cane Corso before I saw a Doberman streaking across the soccer fields. The power and respect the Corso presents almost won out.

Yes, the high drive of the Doberman wears my ass out everyday but I did not just want power and intimidation. The regal appearance and mysterious persona, as well as, intelligence, velcro, protective traits and not being labeled as a "hood" animal pushed me wholeheartedly to the Doberman. There is just something more "noble" of the Doberman to me.

But can't deny the Cane Corso is a beautiful animal. And I believe of the Mastiff breed, they drool less.?.?.?
    IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. GOD'S GRACE

I'm sorry, they might be wonderful, but they are butt ugly...beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess...

That being said, I love Grace for one reason...she gives me more than I give her, Plus she's a"looker".:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Sorry @Ddski5, I gotta agree with GG, but then I don't like the look of the short ears, and that mouth is scary looking to me. It's a very pit bullish look to me and those dogs scare me so likely that is part of my bias against them. They do look intimidating though. I would cross the street if that was coming my way! And just look at those paws! I wonder if they paw slap lol. The Dobe is just visually pleasing to me. The most common initial reaction Kaiser gets is "handsome" or "what a beautiful dog". As long as they are well kept, all Dobes stay beautiful looking from beginning to end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I’ve only met one. He belonged to a single gal that lived in the mountains.
    He was protective of her and the property. To the point he bit no less than 3 different dudes. She loved him but he was sort of an asshole.:bag:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I might be wrong but I think that's a Mastiff. Not a Bullmastiff. The Mastiffs are much taller.

bullmastiff.jpg

:shock: Looks like the devil himself! :sonic: I haven't heard much about them, but what I have heard was never good. VERY protective to the point of almost being dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The thing I like the most about the mollossers is that they can have a brindle coat. I love me some striped dogs! There was a guy who used to bring in a brindle cropped rescue bullmastiff to work. The dog was drop dead gorgeous and well conditioned but looked a little more like a Cane Corso because he was a little less thick. The dog was nice but intimidating looking as all hell! Not sure I could handle the drool...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

13F3295B-6EAB-4281-94C1-212EBD3FC6B7.jpeg
    A corso that will protect is kind of a one person dog. Only the owner can pet or touch it. Dozer a friend of mine’s corso could only be touched by her. And when he bit his eyes would roll back in his head. Also working dog of the year 2013.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

He was a cool dog. I loved her stories about doing his nails, quite entertaining.

18. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Other than the Doberman-
    Perfect for Oji.....

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. GOD'S GRACE

We're you one of the Dudes? :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Lol, no.