bringing new pup home

BLG

Hello from New York City. In about a month, we will be bringing home our new pup: Mo. I'm writing today to ask for your opinion about the options we have for where to keep our pup most comfortable, safe and calm. In either situation below, he will be in his own crate.

Option number one is in our boys bedroom. Two of our three sons share a room. Mo is going to be a special pal for one of those boys'. We could easily put Mo in that room in a corner. This way he can see and hear the boys. However, there will also be a cage close by with two guina pigs.

Option number two is our large playroom. In there, in a corner we would first build a small room of giant legos that would be about 5 or 6 feet tall, and then put Mo in his crate there.

What do you think?

Standing by for any feedback, and with many thanks,
BLG

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Are kennels are on either side of the back door in our breakfast room. This makes for a quick outside when they are first let out of the kennel. It is routine, coming out of the kennel means outside to potty.

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I keep our crates in the living room since they can see us from the kitchen and dining room from there. I always leave them in the same spot once they get used to it there.

Kaiser2016

Planning ahead 👍 Our crate was also in a central spot so he could see us. But we had a second one in the laundry room for night time sleeping. The Lego room seems like a cute idea but I worry he will whine and howl if he can hear you but not see you. Maybe a shorter wall would be better but then he will eventually be big enough to jump out of that😬 but then you could make the wall taller as he grows?

If it turns out that he can’t settle well outside a crate, like Kaiser, you will probably end up with 2 crates.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I'm assuming this is a young pup - 10 weeks or so? You will be having to get up and take him out to potty at least 2 x a night at first, if not more. Depends on the boys sleep habits but these pups can cry and howl and whine and it can be pretty disturbing to some. If the boys get up and coddle the pup to hush him up, this will be a lifelong learning experience to the puppy: Protest & I get my way. Of course, it may not be an issue at all - the puppies in this breed can vary quite a bit. Just something to think about.

Kswoodssue

We have a cage upstairs in our room, and one downstairs in the family room. She accepts both as hers. Btw our 8 month old would probably chew up legos. Best to keep those out of reach.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Good on you for thinking and planning ahead!

I must admit that an issue surrounding the topic of crating is what smacked me in the face the first night we had Oji home. Unlike with our previous Dobe, we now didn't have a house in which we could place his crate and not have his yelping and barking audible as the household slept. Yes, letting the pup out a couple times or so to potty in the night is probably called for; but I don't find it necessary to listen to the pup's crazy vocalizing when I drop into bed.

So, whereas with our previous Dobe we put his crate in the basement and closed the door when it was time for bed, with Oji, there was no place in the house where his crazy vocalizing could not be clearly heard. AND, Oji has separation anxiety. I could not so much as walk a few feet away from him without him freaking out. So I was forced to sleep on the dining room floor and set up a nice blanket for him a few feet away from me. Any other option would either wake my sleeping wife and kids, or disturb the neighbors. Of course, he would not stay on that nice blanket. No, he would walk on over to me and lay up against me every time. I was powerless, and had to accept this arrangement. His separation anxiety has been lifelong.

I hope you have the ability to place the crate somewhere at bedtime where he can learn to eventually quiet down and endure being left alone for a few hours. Ideally, no one should go comfort him or even talk to him in response to his vocalizing in the crate. This goes for waking hours as well. It's not mean. House dogs need to learn to accept crating.

I wish you the best of success!