Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Bridge?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Dogdoc, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

A504604B-0BB2-4195-A76B-5468E9B9BFAD.jpeg I am hearing so many conflicting ideas on whether ears should be bridged or not. My breeder told me that I should bridge right to the end of posting with tape. Other ear posting sites say to use a solid bridge made of backer rod until over 6 months. I have seen on this site that bridging should be stopped much earlier. My pup is almost 13 weeks old. I have removed the bridge for 3-4 days now and he seems to hold his ears straight up just fine. The backer rods seem to remain in place much better without the bridge. He has a fairly long show crop. Is there any time frame or indications to watch for to let me know that a bridge is/is not needed? Thanks!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  2. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Seeing as he is holding his ears up I would not post with a bridge. I am not sure if it is just an illusion, but are those rods bent? They almost look like they are curved. Doberman puppies are so cute!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

It’s the fourth day and he is due to have them changed today - they always get a little beat up after a few days. I may have to start adding extra layers of duct tape to strengthen them so they don’t bend

4. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I only use the bridge for about 1-2 weeks after the stitches come out. I want the puppy to learn to hold them up themselves. Build muscle memory no crutches so to speak.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Beautiful pup! I bridge continuously til 4 mo and decide from there. Bridging them at 11 & 1 will allow them to use the muscles to hold them up. It also keeps them from sleeping weird and bending ear and post (especially if it's backer rod)
    I have tried to go without a bridge, but all they did was shake their heads. Once I add the bridge, no more shaking.

These 2 just turned 13 wks and in between postings. 7-3-19.jpg 7-3-19.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Pups holding his ears up like that?? Lose the bridge for sure. Just no reason to have it.....

Great posting job by the way!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dogdoc

Dogdoc New Member

Thanks! It’s definitely a learning curve and each posting goes a little smoother than the one before!

• Like Like x 1