Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Breeders Kill Shelter Dogs chances

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by Dobs4ever, Sep 13, 2013.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

Take Pit Bulls out of the equation and shelters would be begging for pets to fill their cages..

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Then take the pit/----- mixes out as well and our shelters would be at about 1/3 capacity.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

A clear indication BREEDERS are not the problem!! Yep its the PEOPLE

4. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I don't think reputable breeders have ever been a problem with homeless pets.

I think it's safe to say very few purebreds ever make it into a shelter, although I'm sure it happens.

The problem is people, and crappy breeders, pet stores, puppy mills, ect.

If everyone was screened the way they are with a reputable breeder this problem would be drastically minimalized.

The problem still exists though.
    We live in a country where you can buy a dog as easy as you can buy a cheeseburger.

Education won't work without money.
    AR groups get their point across so vividly because they have oodles of money.
    Where as the AKC has tons of money but we are not using it like AR groups are.

Ultimately there is one variable no one can control.

Some people want a puppy, and want it cheap. Can't afford 1500-3000 for a dog, and can't find what they want in rescue. Some people want a dog knowing full well they can't provide for it.
    People have life situations where they need to rehome dogs, and some people only care about money.

You eliminate puppy mills and byb's and within a few short years that problem is almost completely solved.

There will always be dogs in shelters, but I think we can all agree the current amount is way to high.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FredC

FredC Guest

I call this the payment plan.. At the end of your dogs life span it is almost certain they will have payed a few thousand extra in vet bills.. I believe well bred dobermans cost less in the long run. But you have to be able to get over that one time lump sum.. And frankly if you cant you probably are going to wind up in the bad owner category because you probably are either to cheep or to broke to pay for all your dog related obligations through the lifetime of your companion, if they even keep the dog for its entire lifespan..

• Like Like x 3
  6. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Could not agree more.

Call me selfish, but I believe if you can't spend an initial 1500-3000 on your dog chances are your finances are so out of whack that said dog will not get proper care.

• Like Like x 3
  7. FredC

FredC Guest

I spend more on quality dog food in a month then the average person spends when they purchase their puppy.. I know you do to..

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dobs4ever

Von I will only say this - there are good owners who can't afford high bred dogs but go to the shelter and provide a very good home for the dog or cat. There are always good people and bad people and the bad ones give us all a bad name. I feel it is only when you want a purebred cheap that you lapse into the don't know much catagory and have little to any concept about what.

I think a lot of that is because AKC wanted to focus on postive things to do with the dogs and the preservation of the registry. They thought they could rise above the AR propaganda but we see now that is clearly not going to happen. Much of the money that goes to fund HSUS, PETA and ASPCA are from loving pet owners who aer killing us slowly but surely while they think they are helping the dogs or cats.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

My big fear with people who do not have money aligned like this is what is to happen if the dog gets parvo? Bloat, obstructions, ect.

Owning a dog is a huge financial responsibility. One that I love, because I want the best for my dogs.

With that being said I have seen homeless people have a greater bond with their dogs then we ever could know.

Still though, if those dogs get sick the survival rate is much lower.

• Like Like x 3
  10. bwright

bwright Jr Member

I like to think that I prevent shelter dogs... Except for my youngest sons mutt, which turned out to be a damn good dog that has earned her keep several times, I have only owned "purebred" dogs, all of my dogs have been registered and I am damn proud of them. My dogs never saw the inside of a shelter nor were they ever rescues, and I have bred dogs before and am proud to say that I know where each pup went and where they are. I don't have a problem with rescue dogs or shelter dogs, they just are not for me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I feel that the initial cost of a dog or any other pet/animal is minimal (even if it is in the thousands) and my big concern is to make sure we have the funds to feed them a quality diet and take care of their vet needs for the rest of their lives, and that costs a lot more.

12. Dobs4ever

There is nothing wrong with owning either - One shoe does not fit all. Some of my best memories as a child are of my mutts. Everyone was a great dog and beloved companion. But once I grew up I became facinated with the purebred dog world and that lead me to the experience of a liftime - the dog known as the Doberman - cadillac of dogs, highly intelligent, loyal faithful, true to a fault, would die for you. For me there is no other breed that can compare.

As far as parvo, bloat or anything else you could add worrying about the economy - loosing a job, loosing a house. and on and on til you would drive yourself crazy. Since the majority of dogs don't have major problems then for most it is like kids you deal with things when they come up not anticipate them or no one would ever have kids that's for sure but you find a way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'd love to provide statistics on imported dogs, but I don't have the time to do the research right now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dobiemom_of2

Dobiemom_of2 Member

I don't necessarily think that because someone can not afford to pay $1500-$3000 on a dog Initially that said dog won't get proper care. I can tell you that I didn't pay that much for my dogs, and I wouldn't, and yes because I don't have that kind of money to spend on a dog. However, my dogs get great care. Unfortunately Yeti did get demodectic mange as a young puppy (and yes I'm sure it's because he is albino and has a weaker immune system then other dobermans and I don't need to hear about how due to the fact he is white that is why he got it, or maybe I got him from a byb, Which is not the case, Yeti is an AKC REGISTERED DOBERMAN, and all the other hate on albinos blah blah blah crap.) that we made sure that we paid for all the treatments on him, and got the necessary number of treatments. They are expensive treatments, and in some cases (thankfully not ours) take sets of treatments. My dogs eat a great dog food recommended by the vet, and they see one of the best vets in town. Anything and everything my dogs need they get. Zoey is currently seeing a vet every 3 weeks to get all of her shots so she'll be UTD, since she's only 13 weeks old, and Yeti goes in a couple of weeks for a check up. I want to make sure my dogs are properly cared for, we do semi-annual check ups so that if anything ever were to happen to my dogs, I can take care of it as soon as possible. So, I guess my dogs, according to what you said since I didn't pay thousands of dollars for them, aren't getting the proper care? Yeah I know that I've only had Yeti for 5 months and Zoey for almost 2 months, but I can guarantee you that my dogs are NOT going anywhere, no matter the situation. I understand having a dog is a huge commitment and I understand that things could come up that could cost me a lot of money, and if said issues come up, I will take care of it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Good for you! :)

I never think a 'blanket statement' covers everyone. Even if it were true 99% of the time, there are always the exceptions.

• Like Like x 3
  16. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Like MB said. It's more of a blanket statement.

I'm in the financial planning business. So there's probably a little of that coming out from me.

I know lots if people with maybe 100$ to their name that live paycheck to paycheck and do great by their dogs.
    They always have a back up plan though.
    Like loans from other people, insurance, ect.

For me I have to have a good chunk of accessible liquid assets specifically for the dogs.
    I have heard to many stories of people not being able to afford or not wanting to pay for expensive life saving vet bills.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dobiemom_of2

Dobiemom_of2 Member

I am definitely one of those people who have a back up plan. I have a special credit card that I've made sure has a really high limit for those just Incase emergiencies. I may not have thousands saved or could use for my dogs, but they will get at they need and deserve.

18. Caloni

Caloni Active Member

The shelters and rescues I went to for dogs were useless. I looked for 3 years for a smaller dog and couldn't find one that was ok with my daughter, other dog, or a rescue that would allow me to have a dog because I had a kid or lived in an apartment. When I looked for a doberman NONE of the rescues in the are would adopt to me because they said they had strict laws about not adopting to children. Not to mention that I train dogs for a living, that she grew up with other dogs in the home, or that I am a stay at home mom and could devote time to him. So in my situation, I went with a breeder to get around all the frustration, and to have a better chance at a healthy dog.

I am glad that shelters/rescues don't just give away dogs to just anyone....but really, they should be a little more lenient.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zavarka

Zavarka Hot Topics Subscriber

I absolutely agree with you and can sign under each word. People have become strong believers that breeder is an evil.Every time I take my pups to the park and people learn that they are not a rescue- a wave of shame I feel.

However, a lot of people who are getting the dog from the shelter, have lack of knowledge about what it means to have a pet in your home, so this dogs are being left in the same shelter again and again. My neighbors was very proud of themselves to take a rescue dog, that they took back in a couple of months because she was not behaving correctly.

Dogs future is in correct breeding and intelligent breeders. If buyer is doing the correct research about the breed, looking where to get his future pet and the breeder helps him with that- its much more chances this dog will become the real member of the family forever. If its cheap and extremely easy to take a pet home, its easy to get rid of it. Dog shelters exist not because of the real breeders, they exist because of robbers and thieves who decided to make easy money by just letting dogs to produce without any knowledge.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dobiemom_of2

Dobiemom_of2 Member

I agree and disagree with shelters and rescues being a little more lenient. On one hand I understand why they are strict with who they adopt out to. They don't want these dogs to go to homes they cannot take care of them or they end up in the same situation they were in before. However I feel it should be a case by case situation. I too had trouble in rescuing a a doberman. My husband and I tried to rescue a dog, did the whole pick one out, vet check, whole 9 yards, but since we rented our home they wouldn't let us adopt him. Even tho our landlord was completely fine with us havin. A doberman. Hence the reason we went to a breeder, just like Caloni

• Like Like x 2