Breeders Kill Shelter Dogs chances

Dobs4ever

Hot Topics Subscriber
PLEASE read the entire article: Link posted below

Guilt: It’s Not Just For Jews and Catholics Anymore (Purebred Dog Owners Can Play)
bySUSIonMARCH 22, 2012
- See more at: Guilt: It’s Not Just For Jews and Catholics Anymore (Purebred Dog Owners Can Play)

Consider:
  • Activists displaying placards break through barriers to stand on center stage of a televised dog show and announce to members of the audience that because they own purebred dogs, millions of other dogs will die;
  • A blogger attends a conference with her purebred dog and when asked if he’s a rescue, she replies cheerfully that he was purchased from a breeder. She feels shunned the rest of the weekend;
  • Francis Battista, co-founder of Best Friends Sanctuary, writes:“The only truly guilt-free purebred dog is one acquired from a shelter or breed rescue group.”
  • When a nationally televised dog show changes its sponsor because the sponsor failed to promote purebred dogs in a positive light at least as much as shelter and rescue dogs, a protest campaign is leveled at the show’s social media pages.
  • From Ted Kerasote, author: Dividing the world into those whoshould feel guilty for owning a pedigree pooch and those who can feel self-righteous for rescuing a muttdoes little to solve the two major challenges domestic dogs face today: careless breeding and an antiquated shelter system.”
How did we get to this point?
- See more at: Guilt: It’s Not Just For Jews and Catholics Anymore (Purebred Dog Owners Can Play)

http://dogknobit.com/2012/03/22/guilt-its-not-just-for-jews-and-catholics-anymore/

This is one of the best articles I have ever read on what has happend to our topsy turvy dog world. The biggest problem is that people today seem to think they should be able to impose THEIR beliefs, opinions, morality or lack thereof on you - us - anyone. What happened to freedom of religion??? I have always believed as long as it was not immoral, harmful to anyone or animals or illegal then for gosh sakes keep you nose out of their buisness but today that is not the prevailing thought.

Technology has now given us the ability to "spy" on anyone and everyone and I see more problems than good coming from it. Instead it is creating a vigilanty mentality and turning people into fanatics who are just spoiling for a fight with someone. Soon we will be afraid to go outside our door for fear someone is spying on us. The danger is that too many today seem to think that if you don't do things there way then you are wrong. Not that you just do things differently but wrong.

As I look back at some of the changes it is easy to see the degenration of our society. Anything goes now and there is no moral compass to guide anyone to responsible decisions. Instead it is all about what you want or what you think is right and technology rules not common decency.

Breed clubs have guidelines - as long as someone is within those guidelines then to make them wrong for doing something you wouldn't do is wrong. I have posted this over and over again. It is not about what we like it should be about staying within guidelines that allow freedom to create because breeding is an art form. Nature does not live by our rules and about the time you think you have it figured out it throws you a curve ball.

One of the most leading misconceptions ever written was the expose - Purebred Dogs Exposed - PURE AR propaganda to smear good breeding practices.
I hope AKC has finally had a revelation and realizes that it had better start using some of that money to protect their own business or they won't have it for long. Breeders hold up the entire dog fancy because without their dedication to protect and preserve and promote ALL breeds would fall into extinction.

We must educate our families on the importance of preserving and supporting a standard right down to the last word written. We must stop letting people who are not involved in the sport dictate to us what they want because it goes against the very nature of what purebred dogs are all about.
Purebred dogs is not about choice it is about following a standard - Once the AR groups were successful at promoting choice they immediately started wroking on eliminating CHOICE. WAKE UP

If there was no such thing as bad owners there would never have been a need for shelters in the first place.. Breeders wouldnt breed dogs if there was no market for quality pure bred puppies.. Frankly going to the shelter for a dog is akin to going to the dollar store for fine china..

Very interesting. Definitely sharing. I wonder if the part about importing from other countries is true? I know they move them from region to region but first I've heard of actually importing them.

They have been importing for years which is one of the things we have been fighting - if there is an over population then WHY do they bring in diseases we dont' have here so they can have dogs to sell to make money?

I see their point to a degree, but they are not talking about "responsible breeders" either. If they want to violate peoples freedoms, then why don't they change the law to mandatory spay and neuter for pet owners and making breeders "licensed" and limit the # of litters per year?

Very good article!
Very interesting. Definitely sharing. I wonder if the part about importing from other countries is true? I know they move them from region to region but first I've heard of actually importing them.

It's absolutely true. I'm surprised you missed the fact that there are rescue groups importing dogs from foreign countries. It's been discussed here on DCF in a few threads, and it's all over TV even on an episode of The Dog Whisperer. There was actually a Puerto Rican street dog at the shelter with Ladybug when I adopted her almost 8 years ago.

ETA: And what is worrying to me about this is that so many of the dogs are unvaccinated, potential carriers of disease, and not quarantined before adoption.

ETA: And what is worrying to me about this is that so many of the dogs are unvaccinated, potential carriers of disease, and not quarantined before adoption.

True Ingrid and they are bringing disease here that we do not have at this time and giving our dogs new things that they are not protected from so we have a whole new set of problems to deal with. We must stop these importations. If so many dogs are dying in shelters the why the heck are we importing sick, diseased, uncared for and unsocialized dogs???

We have been drinking the AR propaganda too long. HSUS is the biggest AR organization to the tune of millions of dollars a year that they then turn back and use against us.

I see their point to a degree, but they are not talking about "responsible breeders" either. If they want to violate peoples freedoms, then why don't they change the law to mandatory spay and neuter for pet owners and making breeders "licensed" and limit the # of litters per year?

Oh yes they are talking about ANY and ALL breeders - to them ALL breeders are BAD and they are violating our freedoms with mandaotry spay/neuter and licensing and limiting.

If you limit a breeding program you limit the breeders ability to disversify. It is not about # of litters it is about proper care, training and showing. Limits will be the end of purebred dogs because it will greatly reduce the # of dogs and therefore limit restrict and kill the gene pool

True Ingrid and they are bringing disease here that we do not have at this time and giving our dogs new things that they are not protected from so we have a whole new set of problems to deal with. We must stop these importations. If so many dogs are dying in shelters the why the heck are we importing sick, diseased, uncared for and unsocialized dogs???

I agree! We shouldn't be importing these strays. Just for the hell of it, I picked a semi-random country this morning to see if I could find adoptable dogs here in the US from there. I picked India because it's so far away, they are fairly developed and not at war with us at the moment. Sure enough, within about 2 minutes I found a rescue group importing Indian street dogs for adoption in the US.

We've discussed this importation issue before and still agree that it's not necessary or wise. I'm of the opinion that rescues really don't want to put themselves out of their cozy little private non-profit businesses. That pit bull woman from Villa Lobos says something like, "We rescue in the hopes that someday we won't have to." Yeah, right... When rescues run out of local dogs to justify their existence, they expand their search area. Closing and finding another job is not an option. I've seen it with my local no-kill shelter first hand.

It's absolutely true. I'm surprised you missed the fact that there are rescue groups importing dogs from foreign countries. It's been discussed here on DCF in a few threads, and it's all over TV even on an episode of The Dog Whisperer. There was actually a Puerto Rican street dog at the shelter with Ladybug when I adopted her almost 8 years ago.
I've seen it mentioned but I didn't realize it was a common occurrence.

I don't get it?:scratch:

Under their idea,no more breeders and everyone getting dogs from shelters,and all dogs coming from shelters being speutered("speutered" is a "Mattism" created by our own CRD to say spayed/neutered in one word;))my thought would be eventually there are no more dogs.I cant see what the end game is there?
Apparently that time is now if they're importing dogs to fill shelters.Or in order to promote their cause they are inflating rescue populations.Since it's a multi million dollar organization with execs getting payed big bucks we can suspect with little worry the latter is the case.

Dobs4ever said:
If you limit a breeding program you limit the breeders ability to disversify. It is not about # of litters it is about proper care, training and showing. Limits will be the end of purebred dogs because it will greatly reduce the # of dogs and therefore limit restrict and kill the gene pool.

I for one don't want this to happen and see where the ARA is going with this. It would be devastating if they were able to abolish pedigreed dog breeders from breeding; eventually all Canines would be extinct. So, as a breeder(s) Dobs4ever (or others), what would be your idea(s) for resolve? We here in the U.S. have a huge unwanted pet population and educating the public only seems to reach a few that are smart enough to listen and actually learn.

We here in the U.S. have a huge unwanted pet population and educating the public only seems to reach a few that are smart enough to listen and actually learn

That is PETA and HSUS propaganda - NO one has been able to PROVE we have a overpopulation especially if they have to import dogs to fill the need. We need to study and really KNOW what is going on in the AR world. They sell their propaganda and the public buys it because they don't hear differently.

Now agift4me you ask the 64,000 question. - I don't have the answers but I have some ideas and opinions. First I believe that AKC clubs MUST become more active in their communities - more than just host a dog show once a year. Every dog club should work to have 3 or 4 events during the year for the public to come and meet dog people EX: hold mini shows for kids to come and show their family pet like a real dog show Have a school program as special learning with obedince demonstrations (dogs should behave and be trained and so should kids) is a perfect learning tool.

The dog community MUST band together and STOP all this mine is better than yours. We must educated dog people that health testing alone will not save the breed if there is no breed left to save. We need to change the publics perception that breeders kill shelter dogs - I lay my bottom dollar that seldeom if ever do you find a purebred dog in the pound. You would have to search for years to find a specific breed if that is what you want. Breeder don't fill shelters - 95% of the dogs you find in in shelters ARE MUTTS!!!! Designer dogs gone ary.

AKC must start using it's Lobbist and money to make commercials supporting the purebred dog and its purpose - LIES SELL BETTER THAN THE TRUTH.... and a prime example is the AR program that was aired - Pedigreed dogs Exposed - CRAP CRAP CRAP

That is easy to say because NO ONE keeps or has any way to keep the records of all the things mutts die of - and you have NO Way to know the health behind the dog. Pure GARBAGE.

We need to promote the dog fancy to kids as a great family activity..............apple pie and homemade bread go back to the roots of decent society.

Just read the post on forums if someone ask about a puppy THE VERY FIRST thing someone brings up is get a RESCUE and the implied guilt is there. I am not knocking rescue - I am saying that not everyone wants a rescue for specific reasons. If the wanted a rescue they would probably ask about a rescue. Rescue is not right for everyone and no one should feel guilty about getting a rescue or choosing a breeder. BOTH have their plae but the AR groups have made rescue the holy grail and made people feel guilty. Rescue and breeders should work together and not oppose one another.

We need to promote that ALL purebred breed clubs have a rescue system. We don't want our purebred dogs in shelters. Each breeder should take back their own and that is their contribution to helping the rescue situation. i am not going to drag a bunch of stay dogs here and take the chance of infecting my dogs with something. I know where my puppies have been and who they were with and I know that the had all their necessary vaccinations as puppies.

We need to get ALL breed clubs to work together so we have more power and influence. The fight is bigger than just fighhting for a few breeds it is about preserving the entire dog fance and purbred dog world.

I would like to see a story on Animal planet about the trip to Westminister where it follows a puppy from birth to the show ring and what is involved in the trip to get there.

We here in the U.S. have a huge unwanted pet population and educating the public only seems to reach a few that are smart enough to listen and actually learn.

I've got to take issue with this statement as well... Maybe there are places in the US where people are just letting their dogs breed like rabbits and where people don't seem to grasp the concept that a dog is a commitment for the life of the animal, but it's not like that where I live in the North East. Our population isn't any smarter than the rest of the US, yet the message of responsible pet ownership has sunk in so well that we're importing dogs and pups like crazy and young people hardly even know what testicles look like on a dog. People here can't imagine having a bitch go through a heat cycle and wouldn't know how to deal with it if it happened.

Euthanizations in the US have gone down in number from an estimated 20 million in 1970 to 3 million in 2011. And I read that there's a very dramatic drop shaping up for 2013. I don't buy the pet overpopulation idea at face value at all. I think the idea is driven by AR agenda and even by the rescues themselves. Education is working, low or no cost s/n clinics are working, and I'm seeing purebred dogs in my local shelter a lot. People aren't breeding mutts here very often. They are breeding purebreds that sometimes are displaced from their homes due to unfortunate circumstances. Right now my local shelter has 3 dogs- a hairless Chinese Crested, a Chihuahua, and a lab mix. All had indoor homes before.

I've got to take issue with this statement as well... Maybe there are places in the US where people are just letting their dogs breed like rabbits and where people don't seem to grasp the concept that a dog is a commitment for the life of the animal, but it's not like that where I live in the North East. Our population isn't any smarter than the rest of the US, yet the message of responsible pet ownership has sunk in so well that we're importing dogs and pups like crazy People aren't breeding mutts here very often.
I'm thinking you're half right.
A variable here is human population.
Your rescues may only have 3 dogs in it but what is the human population of your county?
Here in Riverside county shelters are full,we have in excess of 2 million people living in the county.
Going a step further,the combined population of the counties of Los Angeles,San Diego,Riverside,and San Bernardino is in excess of 17 million people.
Here in Riverside,last time I was at a shelter it was a mixed bag.Many mutts,but also many pure breeds.The Pit-bull by far led the pure portion.

No doubt, Gel! My county is small is population, but I'd have to say the shelter population is disproportionately small compared to that of California's. I haven't found and reliable numbers on homeless pets per thousand for example...

You know I have used the "we are importing dogs from other countries" argument before.
It has hit me that I can not find a single peice of evidence that this is happening.

I'm not going to continue using that in my arguments unless I can prove its true.

Anyone have any articles to back this up? Specifically showing data from mass shelter/ rescue importation?
I understand maybe a dog here and there is hard to prove. I'm talking mass quantities continuously. 40+

Here is what I will say about pet overpopulation, and Gel is deadly accurate here.

It may not be prominent everywhere, but I challenge anyone in a big city to go into their local pound.
Staff are outnumbered.

This hits home here to. I can not go into a single shelter, pound, rescue that is not swimming up to their eyeballs in neglected dogs. None of which have been imported from different countries.

Detroit has what over 40k stray dogs, not to mention the ones already in captivity?
There may not be any evidence of pet overpopulation because of this. Hear me out.

There are over 330 million people in the US. A little over 100 million of those own domesticated animals. So it's safe to say the amount of dog only owners is less. I also think its safe to say a vast majority of those owners have all the dogs they want. Even further it's safe to say these left over people, a lot of them want puppies or purebreds. Now here is the kicker.

Less than 45 million of these domesticated animal homes are dogs. That number just got insanely small. Shocked? Those homes already average 1.6 dogs total. That's a good balance of 1 and two dog homes. Not a lot of people want three dogs. So cut that number even further.
Not a lot of people want two dogs.
Cut that number even further.

Now do I think pet overpopulation is as bad as these AR groups say it is? Absolutely not, doesn't mean it's not a problem, or can not be described as pet overpopulation.

So what does that leave us with? A fraction of the amount of US citizens that want to take in stray dogs. With millions of stray/rescue dogs being put to sleep every year.
Just food for thought here.

We all know that the ASPCA, HSUS, and PETA are a bunch of fools promoting their filth to line their pockets. I think it's silly to say that we don't have a serious problem with dogs needing homes.

Well written article. Saw it on Facebook.

Like I have mentioned in other threads.
It we are going to continue slamming down this legislation to stop bad breeders, eventually we are going to be seen as people who want no progress done.

In order for us to succeed WE have to be the ones helping with legislation and the right course of action.
Otherwise we are just shouting WRONG without coming up with something that's right.

Ultimately what constitues as pet overpopulation?

It's a term that is vastly different to each person you ask.

Some may think even one homeless dog is over population. Some 1 million, 100 thousand, ect.

Overpopulation is defined as follows;

"the condition of having a population so dense as to cause environmental deterioration, an impaired quality of life, or a population crash"

I think we can all agree that shelters are experiencing environmental deterioration, and impaired quality of lives. The term is fitting to the situation, but is so subjective to whomever is using it.

I think in someways education is working and shelter animals numbers are actually down in relation to the population in overall numbers over the years?

Back