1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Breeders in the md va pa area? Could anyone help!

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Sparky03, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Sparky03

Sparky03 Novitiate

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have a question for you all. So long story short after loosing my dog of about 5 very short years I'm looking to get another Doberman. No I am not buying out of impulse lost the dog early of last year.

But anyways what breeders would you reccomend. So many breeders around me but I'm not sure which one to look at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Only thing I can say is stay away from the Amish breeders.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sparky03

Sparky03 Novitiate

I agree! I bought my old Doberman from an Amish breeder and she had some health issues. At that time I wasn't as educated and I am now

• Like Like x 3
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

check DPCA.org for recommended breeders by state but even then, do your homework! I used to follow Distinguished Doberman Rescue when I lived in PA. They have some great rescues, too. Either one will take time but be worth it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MischasMomma

MischasMomma Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Just wanted to say good luck on your search! I am in southern PA, but did not get my girl from a reputable breeder, so I'm not much help. I knew enough to stay away from the Amish breeders, but didn't know enough to spot other backyard breeders. I don't have any experience with them, and I've heard both good and bad, maybe someone else can chine in more, but what about Kimbertal? Again I know nothing about this kennel, just know it's local, and at the time was more than we wanted to spend or I'd probably have some personal feedback on them. I've never had any contact with them and know nothing more than what I saw on their webpage

6. MischasMomma

And still do you research with any breeder from dpca too, I've heard of some breeders getting on their list that wouldn't meet many potential owners' standards. no matter what, you'll still need to do your own research to find the bets fit for you! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Not that I am a wealth of knowledge but the feedback on Kimbertal has not been all glowing from what I have been told. They tend to breed over size Dobermans that are way beyond the standards for Doberman breed. I apologize in advance if I have stepped on any toes here but just thought I would share this info that was shared with me when I was researching reputable breeders. I cannot attest to the validity of what has been told to me but I do know their website advertises large dobes. I would not think breeding oversize dobes would be in the best interest of breeding to the betterment of the breed but more geared to the money making on large dobes.
    Do you research, write down all your questions regarding health testing of the parents and proof of that, what their requirements are for buying one of their pups. Don't be afraid to ask questions and demand proof of health testing. Will they lock you into a contract to spay/neuter early, will they give a health guarantee, take the dog back if it isn't working out or has medical issues. Reputable breeders will not just sell you a pup without an extensive application process and if they offer to sell without any info from you...:sonic: away as fast as you can.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oh and btw:welcome:
    To DCF from Florida
    Go to the introduce yourself thread and let us all give you a warm welcome.
    So sorry for your loss at such a young age.

9. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would avoid Kimbertal in PA. They do nothing with their own dogs other than breed and make a profit off of other's work. For example, they often showcase ONLY the Grandsires that do have titles from the EU and they try to fool the buyer with thinking that the pedigree is full of "CH" this and that, when the Dam side is important too yet, it typically has nothing special. They are a commercial breeder and local doberman rescuers say the shelters and rescues are filled with their dogs all the time. Not a breeder I would want to support.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. MischasMomma

Knew someone would have input on them! thanks guys! like I said, they were out of our price range so I didn't do much research on them, so I didn't know that.

• Like Like x 2
  11. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Try looking at the Dobie clubs in those areas they usually have some breeders listed. Also the AKC has a marketplace. But like everyone has said even with those you still need to do your homework. And be prepared to fill out some extensive applications... we quickly learned reputable breeders don't breed for "pet quality" :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

:dc: from Chicagoland
    Just import lol. I agree I'd stay away from Kimbertal. I'm in Chicago area and I've met a couple people with Kimbertal dobes. Both were out of standard and had temperaments that were skittish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Oh man. Skittish temperament is the number one thing I am afraid of winding up with in buying a Doberman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome!

I have always heard bad things about Kimbertal. This is from enough sources that I tend to believe it. I also understand that they are a large-scale Doberman breeder so they are just cranking out Dobes as a business.

I used to live in Northern MD, but I was not in the market for a Dobe at the time as I still had my first boy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Drogon when you imported did you pick up at O'Hare and do you remember which Customs Building you went to (the one at the airport on Bessie or the one in Rosemont on Pearl St) with all the paperwork and did you have to get a Broker??? GennyB is going to be picking her pup up at O'Hare.

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  16. strykerdobe

Welcome from Ohio!
    Indiana, Ohio, PA are very big in Amish Puppy Mills!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. strykerdobe

See if you can meet the parents.

Most reputable breeders will title and show their dogs.

#1's to look for should be Health Testing and Longevity in the lines. Ask for copies of Pedigrees. look for longevity of Sire and Dams littermates and their litters, Grandparents. I'm sure someone on this site can help you look them up.

Some health testing done on Sire and Dam:

vWD This is a DNA Test Or called Von Williebrands which is a Bleeding Disorder.

DCM (DNA for DCM1 or PDK4 and DCM2 Genes, also Holter & Echo done on Sire and Dam), and Blood tests. Dilated Cardiomyopathy Or DCM runs very much in the breed! If a breeder says their lines are clear RUN LIKE THE WIND. Even having these tests done there is no 100% guarantee they will not get DCM. This dreaded disease can affect up to 50% of the breed!!!!

Wobbler syndrome is caused by an instability in the intervertebral disks in the neck area. Not sure if there is a DNA Test for this??

Thyroid Tests Up to 14-15% of Dobers have low Thyroids

Liver

Kidney

Some reading info for you:

Dobermann (Doberman pinscher) | Dog Breed Health

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota!

I'm sorry about your loss and we all understand how devastating it is.

I hope you are able to find your perfect puppy and maybe @obbanner could give you some ideas since he lives in the area.
    If you aren't opposed to having one flown to you (either within the states or imported) you could broaden your options quite a bit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. MeadowCat

MeadowCat Well-Known Member

In Virginia I highly recommend Kathy Davieds of Jesaran Dobermans. Long lived, healthy, dogs, bred to the standard, shown and titled. She is highly ethical and reputable. She will have a waiting list, but her pups are worth waiting for. You can find her contact information on the DPCA breeder page. She bred my boy's sire and I have known her for a few years now. Richter has a fantastic temperament - he is titled in both nosework and agility (with a high in trial at his Nosework 1 trial), has passed his WAE, and is a pleasure to own.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1