• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Breeder Websites not updated?

Spoonito

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hi All,

As I do my research looking at breeders (looking at AKC website, DPCA Breeder Directory, UDC Breeder Directory, internet searches, etc.) a common theme that I'm seeing is that many of the links to the breeders either do not work or their websites seem to not have been updated in years (i.e. Says available puppies but last litter was born in 2017 or similar). I know I can call them and get better more up to date information, but I am just diving into my research now and I don't want to waste their time constantly calling and bugging them. Is this a common thing? I understand that their first priority is the safety and health of their puppies and Sire / Dam, but for someone just getting into the research phase and doing due diligence on breeders this seems a bit hard to do especially if I'm trying to mentally take note of which litters would be available and when so I can do more research on the parents as well. Any additional advice would be helpful. If I have to I can call the breeders to talk, but we're not planning on adding a puppy to the family until next year and feel like I would be wasting their time right now.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
It is common, especially with older breeders or not as tech savvy people. Check to see if they have a Facebook they may keep updated because it's a bit more user friendly.

Honestly, if I like the dogs that I see on their page and what the breeder is involved in, I just send them an email and ask if they have any planned litters. Don't feel like it is a waste of their time! Even if they don't have any they often have a list of breeder friends they can forward you to that might have a litter. It's a great way to start making contacts. If you want, you can even give them a little info about your self, your dog/dobe history, and what you are looking for. That may make them feel more inclined to respond if they see you are serious and more able to point you in the direction you are looking for.

I think the other issue can be they don't have a need to advertise because people do contact them and/or the breeder is known enough they are easily able to place their puppies.

Spoonito

Hot Topics Subscriber
Thanks Rits. Appreciate the response. With that being said, I feel a bit more comfortable in contacting some of the breeders I've initially glanced over. However I didn't see any breeders in my area in the breeder section and I did a quick search and none of the breeder names came up using the search function on the forum. Does anyone have any experience with breeders of European Dobermans within a 3 hr (maybe 5hr max for the right Doberman) drive from the northern burbs of Chicago? This way I can narrow back in and send out emails and request info. I think anything further than that I may look into shipping from a breeder further out if it makes more sense.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Does anyone have any experience with breeders of European Dobermans within a 3 hr (maybe 5hr max for the right Doberman) drive from the northern burbs of Chicago?

Id tag a member that's in that area but he's not around here much anymore.

Maybe @Doberman Gang knows of some. Are you looking for working or pet?

Spoonito

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hi Rits,

First and foremost I am looking for the right healthy puppy to be the next member in our family and all else is secondary. I have been watching videos and doing some research and I am also interested in Shutzhund / IPO and other types of competitions. There are some trainers / clubs / classes not too far from me. They seemed geared more towards GSD and also breed them, but I'm sure all are welcome. One step at a time though. My sister has a GSD and a mixed breed and has also thought of Shutzhund / IPO for her 2 girls.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
DG is in MO and trains with his own club so hopefully he will see this and have some recommendations for you!

Spoonito

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hope I'm not changing subject too far from the thread and can start a new topic if needed. But as I do research, what is best practice for how many litters is common for a female to have successively? Is having 2 litters in a year too much, should the breeder be taking breaks between litters or rotating Sire / Dam? Based on their website a local breeder that had puppies May 2020 from a Sire / Dam pair, and unless the information is wrong and they didn't change the names on the expected litters page, it looks like the same pair is expecting another litter November 2020 (in which I assume they would be ready to come home ~ end of Jan / Feb 2021). My untrained eyes don't see any red flags on the website. The mating pair's parents have their titles and health screening listed, but the Sire / Dam don't. That would be for me to see if that information is available (just not updated on the site).

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I spent almost a year finding the puppy I wanted and it was worth the wait. I was terribly frustrated at unkept websites, made them look like they were out of business. Many never replied to my emails. It was also a 3 day drive (1 1/2 days each way) to get my puppy, also worth it, as I got to meet the breeder, the dam of my puppy and two other Dobes in her family. Do insist on Sire/Dam health tests, not just extended family! Most breeders don't breed a bitch twice in one year, but I have to admit my breeder did. That said, it is the only time she ever did it. So there are exceptions. Red Flag if a bitch has had 2 litters a year for several years, for sure. Also be well aware that IGP sport bred dogs can be a challenge and not for everybody. My puppy suits me perfectly but she was 10x harder than my last Dobe and challenged everything I thought I knew.

Keep us posted on your search. @Doberman Gang is always helpful with IGP working dog questions and breeders in that area.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hi Rits,

First and foremost I am looking for the right healthy puppy to be the next member in our family and all else is secondary. I have been watching videos and doing some research and I am also interested in Shutzhund / IPO and other types of competitions. There are some trainers / clubs / classes not too far from me. They seemed geared more towards GSD and also breed them, but I'm sure all are welcome. One step at a time though. My sister has a GSD and a mixed breed and has also thought of Shutzhund / IPO for her 2 girls.
If you are serious about sport then you need to research and find the right breeder. Most Doberman’s will not have the genetics to compete or you will constantly be training away from or around issues, that can be very expensive and frustrating. Finding a breeder with in the range You suggested should not be your number one priority. There is a breeder in Ohio that is a little over 5 hrs from Chicago. Benchmark Dobermann’s, Savannah Lee Langdon breeds sone nice working dogs. You might start with her. The others I would recommend are much farther from you.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Most breeders don't breed a bitch twice in one year, but I have to admit my breeder did. That said, it is the only time she ever did it. So there are exceptions. Red Flag if a bitch has had 2 litters a year for several years, for sure.
Agree 100% with this. If they do it frequently, red flag. My breeder did this with Ripley's litter because the dam was going to be retired and her previous litter was all males. There are exceptions to rules. You can always ask what their plan is breeding certain litters, what they are hoping to get out of it and why.

The parents both need to have health tests so definitely ask for all testing.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Welcome! I have noticed that a lot too. Not only are breeders notorious for having terrible web design :lame:, but as many will tell you, breeders are busy.

I also believe that modern-day social media is replacing websites. You may be far more likely to find more current info. on a breeder's f'book page and "Insta" and so forth.

Good luck calling breeders too, or even emailing them. More likely than not, you will not get a response.

I wish you success in your search!

Spoonito

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hi does anyone have an email / phone # for Benchmark? Their website "Contact Us" form doesn't submit for me and I haven't had any responses as of yet from their FB Messenger.