1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Breeder Referrals for PNW?

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by ksirr, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ksirr

ksirr New Member

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a pup within the next few years and have been doing research for days already. I live in Oregon and was wondering what breeders people would suggest for the Pacific Northwest.
    I am open to look in Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Northern California/Nevada. Don't really want to travel past that. I am looking for working background for protection/tracking and like to look of the Euro dobe but will look at any reputable breeder.

Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Not too much help from me down here in Louisiana...but welcome.

You should take a look at the DPCA site. Don’t know how many are Euro breeders but it’s a start.

Good luck.

DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral

0751E7E4-EBD0-41D4-A611-5CD8113859B9.png 11B90B34-7FF0-41A8-9223-839F255D4AFD.png 4EF9A0AC-D4BF-46E8-AEFD-FB3D993DC69B.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome from a former PNWer!

Unfortunately, when we lived in Seattle, we brought with us our working Doberman we obtained from Wisconsin while living in Minnesota.

Now, living in Ohio, we got our current working Dobermann from yet another state, but it is at the opposite end of the country from Oregon.

Too bad Wittrock Dobermans seems to no longer be breeding. Bonnie bred for working ability and conformation and liked a nice-boned Dobe. I don't know her, but was in contact back when searching for my second Dobe.

Hmm. Finding a good breeder is a tough question. Believe me, I wish I knew of several.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

My search continues too, so I want to follow along. I find it crazy-making trying to find a good health conscious breeder that also has working dogs. Most on the DPCA & UDC list, the ones with websites, the websites are a couple of years behind making it look like they are no longer breeding. Many of my emails have gone un-answered. The ones that are quickest to answer are not passing my health questions and/or they don't title their dogs in athletic venues. (((Sigh.))) My two best possibles had small litters and not a female available, which is what I want. Landgraf was kind enough to answer back that there are no breeding plans in the near future.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. ksirr

ksirr New Member

Awesome, thanks everyone! I have time before I can get a pup but I really want to do the research and find the right breeder now instead of when I'm ready to buy. Avoiding an impulse buy! Haha

• Like Like x 2
  7. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Foxfire breeds amazing dogs (Buddha from Cutie and the Beast), Judals Dobermans (Rubydooby_do on IG), and Prima Dobermans are all excellent west-coast-ish or willing to ship breeders. I imagine they all have extensive wait lists, though. Shayna Sitton from Prima might be a good resource to ask about potential breeders and she's very active on Social Media. None of these dogs are Euro lines that I know of but perform in all sorts of sports. The best thing you can do is have a list of wants so a breeder can place you with the right dog. Are there any local IPO clubs you could reach out to ask about breeders in the area?

A good breeder will have a lot of questions for you and will probably have an application process, may ask for references, will have a contract, ask what your experience with dogs/Dobes is, and have a wait list so it's good you're starting now!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ksirr

ksirr New Member

Thank you for this info. I will look into those breeders. I don't think there are any IPO clubs near me but I will do some digging and see what I can find.

Yeah I honestly have a while before I can get one but I have wanted one for years. I currently have two Border Collies (oldest is 6 - youngest is 4) so I have time to really search and maybe meet a few people.

Thanks!!

9. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Border Collies! I've been doing agility with my Dobe for a couple years now and every once in while I have the "I should get a Border Collie for my next 'agility' dog" thought cross my mind before I realize that my husband dislikes the little bit of time training and trialing now and how it would increase ten fold with a BC :rofl: My Dobe is interested in it when it suits her but I've become quite addicted! Luckily my Lab puppy seems pretty motivated to keep me in my place :woot2:

Again, it's good you've got time. Same Sex Aggression *can* be a challenge with Dobes but certainly something a breeder would know more about!

10. ksirr

ksirr New Member

I actually don't think Border Collies take much more training than most dogs just more exercise. Especially if they do things that make them think, like agility. I do Sheep Herding and Goose Hazing with mine and when we are home they are fairly well behaved and I can teach them new commands in no time! Lol

11. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Yea, when I talked to Wendy last year she said she was back in horses now and not really doing dogs right now. There are some people breeding dogs they got from her though. Kathy Grech had one of her dogs at DVG Nationals last year, not sure if she is breeding her or not. She lives in CA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1