• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Breeder Recommendation for Service Dog

swamp.dobe

Novitiate
Hey all!

I’m looking for a breeder for my next service dog in the next year or so, end of 2022 or sometime in 2023. I’m a professional dog trainer with 14yrs of experience, so please no lectures on them not being the best SD candidate, I understand that and the risks- this is my heart breed. I currently have a 6yr old female that was adopted from Doberman rescue that I got extremely lucky with, however, I want to buy a puppy this go round as I’m not willing to risk health again. I’ve been in contact with a couple of breeders and met one just recently, however she didn’t really have a solid litter planned.

I really like Merrimac Dobermans, and shes one of the top contenders and has had several service dogs from her lines, but I’m not stuck on one breeder as of now. I’ve also visited Drachenburg Dobermans (they do breedings with protocol)

I prefer American lines, but having some euro in them is ok too. I just don’t really care for the look of euros as much as I do Americans.

The dog will hopefully be my service dog (if he washes, he’s still staying with me!) and i do compete in AKC obedience & would love to get involved with dog sports. My current girl is so so sweet, but she doesn’t have the drive for sports and tends to get nervy in the OB/rally ring so we haven’t gone as far as I’d like to.

I am located in New Orleans, LA but willing to travel. Dog will be for medical alert/response, light mobility, and PTSD.

Open to suggestions, aaaand go!
(Pic of Lena for tax)

Lena Lou CD RI THDN CGCA CGCU

Attachments

• 5C76815F-7130-4A32-90C1-D34BE1CC0F7D.jpeg
    5C76815F-7130-4A32-90C1-D34BE1CC0F7D.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 10

Firestar Dobe

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I think Dobes make excellent SDs. I have known several and they are so very in tune with their owners. I have not comments on the breeders you are looking at, but maybe someone else on the forum will be able to offer some info/guidance. Your Dobe is very sweet looking!

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
@Ddski5 is in your area and his newest Dobe seems really level headed but plenty of drive for sports. American/South American mix. @JanS and @Rits also have girls from the same breeder and are very pleased with them. Maybe they will chime in on whether they would be good for SD duty.

I don't know of any Doberman breeder (maybe the ones you named?) who keeps SD's in their mind when breeding litters, as I'm sure you are aware the Goldens, Labs and GSD's have specific breeders aiming for this. But like you, this is the only breed for me and if I needed a service dog I'd look to the ends of the earth to find a Dobe that would fit the bill.

Your Lena Lou looks like a lovely dog.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I don't think Ripley specifically would be good for SD duty. She's too much of a busy body 😅 and shows strong natural protection instincts where appropriate. She's very well socialized and is friendly in most public places (dog class, trials, shows etc.) but I feel like that is her trusting her owners and our guidance. In the home, the car, and on walks, she steps up and is much more alert to changes in the environment and anything off. Maybe her protective instincts could be squashed from her with correction but I never would do that to her. It would be like asking a pointer to not point.

With that said, Melissa from Melrae Dobermans has other lines and a specific puppy picked as a strong candidate for SD might be an option. I chose Ripley's pedigree because SA Dobes are known to be sharp and spicy. I'm very pleased with her instincts and rock solid temperament but know that the natural instinct she has would not be the best for a SD in case the general public or emergency services need to approach, especially if you were unable to respond.

I know a lot of the NA show lines are much more laid back and easy going but still smart as a whip. I think I would go that route if I were looking for a SD and look for breeders that have obedience titles on their pairing.

Ddski5

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Well hello from Prairieville, La.

5yrs ago I did extensive research on finding a Doberman. I found out that there weren’t any breeders in La that I agreed with. There are ALOT in Texas if you can make solid contact with them. There are a couple in Alabama and Georgia. There is a breeder in Mississippi that breeds/raises service Dobermans for the blind.

Southern Pride Kennels
Rebecca Floyd

The breeders I contacted in Texas were from this DPCA breeder website. This is where I found my first Doberman at Horizon Dobermans outside of Houston. A male Black/rust North American male.
Horizon
Merrimac
Touchstone
Omni Paratus
Cambria
Sinai
Von Koepsel

My second Doberman I got a line from the owner and long time member on this site. Red/rust female from Melrae Dobermans in Michigan. She has a much more personal side to her and is willing to please. I really think she would be a great SD helper.

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Our girl from Melrae is super smart and very willing to learn what you ask of her. She also doesn't get shook up easily so she can ignore a lot of distractions that other dogs can't so I think if I tried, she would be a good candidate for a SD.

A good heart to heart talk with an honest reputable breeder is your best bet since they know their dogs traits the best.

swamp.dobe

Novitiate

5yrs ago I did extensive research on finding a Doberman. I found out that there weren’t any breeders in La that I agreed with. There are ALOT in Texas if you can make solid contact with them. There are a couple in Alabama and Georgia. There is a breeder in Mississippi that breeds/raises service Dobermans for the blind.

Southern Pride Kennels
Rebecca Floyd

The breeders I contacted in Texas were from this DPCA breeder website. This is where I found my first Doberman at Horizon Dobermans outside of Houston. A male Black/rust North American male.
Horizon
Merrimac
Touchstone
Omni Paratus
Cambria
Sinai
Von Koepsel

My second Doberman I got a line from the owner and long time member on this site. Red/rust female from Melrae Dobermans in Michigan. She has a much more personal side to her and is willing to please. I really think she would be a great SD helper.
Thanks! Merrimac and horizon are on my list already, cambria was but they were removed and can’t recall why now.

Southern Pride Kennels
Rebecca Floyd

Horizon
Merrimac
Touchstone
Omni Paratus
Cambria
Sinai
Von Koepsel

i believe horizon is on my list as well. I emailed so many I can’t remember. But I’ll definitely look into the others! I’m familiar with gallant hearts but I prefer to stay away from program bred dogs. They breed for temperament and not necessarily breed standard.