1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Breeder communication

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by haunani, Aug 17, 2019.

1. haunani

haunani Novitiate

When you're sending questions to a breeder you're interested in, how long would you consider appropriate to wait for a reply?

I've just started my search and have found a breeder that I really like. I have sent 2 emails with a couple questions, as well as information on me as a prospective buyer, both without response. They were sent on 7/30 and 8/14. There has been activity on their website in that time.

I *really* like this breeder and they have a litter planned at the perfect time for us, but I worry that this communication pattern will continue.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

When I started my search, I know I sent out at least eight emails to different breeders. In the first month, only two replied. I then was lucky to hit it off with one of those two. Within the next 6-8months, emails started to trickle in from the others that did not respond.

The only thing I can say about that is when I questioned Ragnar’s breeder, she said that breeders are extremely busy and some just don’t check their emails too often. You really have to dig around and find a phone number or keep sending emails and be patient.

Others will chime in here to provide more info.

Good Luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

The Doberman Nationals are just 6 wks away, so if it's a breeder that shows their own dogs or travels with their dog(s) to show and hands off to a handler, this is a very busy time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

This is normal with breeders like @Panama said. They are busy getting ready for shows and having Dobermanns is an extremely time consuming endeavor even if you are not a breeder.

I contacted quite a few breeders and it definitely took a long while to get a response.
    Don’t be discouraged just keep sending out emails and calling. I know it’s frustrating but it’s worth the wait.

• Like Like x 1
  5. haunani

haunani Novitiate

Thank you. I had wondered if there was a large show coming up that could cause the delay. That does make me feel much better.

My impatience comes in part of wanting to know if they approve of us as potential buyers. We do have young children, which I know can sometimes be an automatic "no", but we are an experienced dobie family. We lost both of ours when our oldest child was just over 1 year old (they're now almost 7, 4.5, and the baby is 5.5 months).

6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree, they always say “The squeaky wheel gets the grease” so be squeaky lol.
    I get multiple requests about training some weeks, with work and training sometimes I might miss a message and not see it, sometimes I will be going back thru and see it 2-3 weeks later. Some of us older people aren’t real tech savvy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

This is so hard, isn't it? Unfortunately, it is typical.

I understand breeders might be busy sometimes, but I feel it is not right that they don't so much as leave an outgoing voicemail and a sort of out-of-office email stating that they are busy and may not have time to reply. This would only be common courtesy, especially if they are advertising that they breed and sell dogs.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Same experience here - lots of outgoing mail, very little response. Count on 4 - 6 months of searching to getting on a list if you are as picky as I am. Two breeders didn't have an available female and two breeders didn't meet my needs for health tests or I just didn't care for their breeding pair so I thanked them kindly and moved on. It will have a happy ending though, I'm lined up for my dream pup right now as I type! Keep up your search and stick to your own requirements!

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow x 1
  9. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Good point, I know people that have waited a year or two because breedings didn’t take or the sex they wanted or color they wanted wasn’t produced. If you know what you are looking for or want you may gave to wait.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Or if you are looking for a pet. Plenty of people looking for a pet and breeders would much rather sell to a show or working home.
    @haunani I wouldn't limit myself to just one breeder. Lots of quality breeders out there. While you're waiting for return phone calls/emails, do some searching. Look for longevity in a breeders line and COD (cause of death). No COD listed? Ask a ton of questions with proof.

• Like Like x 3